Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Ford Mainline project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Domino, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Domino

Domino

I recently acquired a 56 Ford Mainline and it is rough. It needs a lot of sheetmetal work, but it is mine. It is extremely basic like I prefer. It has a 272 and a heater. That is it. There are a few parts missing that make no sense. The ashtray, the rear seat bottom, the radiator and a front brake drum. The brake drum has been located. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

2. Domino

Domino

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Excited to see what you do with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hope that you can locate a good donor body

5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Not a lot of those around!Good luck with your project. You need to look at the frame front crossmember very carefully.It was notorious for rusting out in those cars. I assume you are going to pull the body off the frame,that will make the frame work much easier. If you ever get down to Florida I have a back seat for that car.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  6. Can tell from the pictures that you will have to replace that front crossmember. As someone else noted, they are bad to rust out. One of my cousins wrecked a '55 when one of the control arm bolts pulled through a rusted out crossmember. Had to replace the one on my '55. Not many Mainlines were V8 cars unless they were cop cars. Yours has a crossover pipe and single exhaust. Cop car would have had the Thunderbird engine option and factory dual exhaust.

7. Domino

Domino

Well, I have $150 in this car, I have always wanter a y block and I want to learn body work. I have the rest of my life to do this.

koolkemp likes this.
  8. Domino

Domino

I am going to try and get the 272 running first. I have to. Then the front sheetmetal comes off. I will pull the engine and transmission to make repairs easier. The front crossmember will be attacked. Then the body will be braced up and then inner and outer rockers. The floor is next. At least this is the order I think makes sense. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. Finding a driver's door and a hood would make this project easier, but I will worry about that when I get closer to that part. Steinauge-I wish I were heading to Florida. I really need to find a base to the back seat. This car will be my sheetmetal education.

koolkemp likes this.
  9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Couldn't think of anything positive to say???

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  10. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

That's the spirt, great attitude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OahuEli likes this.
  11. Domino

Domino

I got to work on it a little today. This car is strange. It never had any side molding. It is so factory it is scary. It has fomoco plug wires. I really need a better hood. [​IMG]

12. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Where'd you manage to get a 56 for $150? I'm guessing it has no title but still. Wow

13. Domino

Domino

I traded labor and parts. I have always wanted one. I will have a good bit of money in repair panels, but I want to learn.

OahuEli and koolkemp like this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

I would strip the car and contact your local Dustless blasting to remove all of the paint and rust and then see were your true starting point will be. They can come right to your house and do the car.

15. Domino

Domino

I am going to pull the doors and brace it up first.

koolkemp likes this.
  16. Domino

Domino

I thought this was cool.
    [​IMG]

OahuEli and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  17. Domino

Domino

I have located a hood, trunk lid, seat, stock wheels and an ashtray. The driver's side door, fender and radiator support are on my immediate list. Inner and outer rockers are on order.

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I will watch this with interest.. I have a '56 Meteor Rideau Victoria waiting it's turn. Good luck.

19. It seems we are now fixing vehicles that we wouldn't have considered back in the day. Your car has plenty of issues. but its a two door 56 and its paid for.

OahuEli likes this.
  20. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I'm in. You said you wanted to learn body work, looks like you have a good candidate. I've seen cars here worse than that brought back to life. Good luck.

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

If you want to learn you have a great project! Your plans sound great, I'm looking forward to following your build. The rustier the car the more I enjoy the build! Go man go!

OahuEli likes this.
  22. Domino

Domino

I have a hood coming. I found an ashtray and stock wheels. The back seat bottom was not the right one. EMS is my new best friend.

OahuEli and koolkemp like this.