Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Damn, didn't think of that. Thanks.

Tim_with_a_T and dana barlow like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

tfeverfred likes this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No, the RR thing doesn't offend. In fact, the RR attitude about not spending hard earned money to get in this hobby, was what helped me build my first T. So, while some in that mind set do go over board, the majority appears to be hard working guys trying to get an old car on the road. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I found a set of shocks... used. I'm going to look at them and see if they'll work. I think they will.

t-rod, Blue One and Hackerbilt like this.
  4. mountainman2

mountainman2

Fred,
    Get a piece of unistrut or the plain angle struts with all the holes in it from the homedepot or scrap pile around a construction site. Then you can play with different ride heights in your mock-up.

tfeverfred likes this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have something in the works...... stand by

Oh, by the way....thank you HAMB, I am humbled.

loudbang likes this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Look, to be honest, I'm working on a SERIOUS budget. So hard that I have had thoughts of saying, "FUCK IT!"
    But I wasn't raised to quit. Never will. Can't. I won't. I'll get through this.

26 T Ford RPU and dana barlow like this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nothing to do with T Buckets...... I just love the back drop........dry lake and the theme I'm going for....

9. nobux

nobux

The weather hit the high 50's today and I got a little antsy. I pulled the bucket out of the corner and put on the 14" windshield I had just finished up for it to replace the 10 1/2" wind buffeting special.

While I was at it, I swapped in the new rear spring. I had a Speedway reverse eye spring in it. I got a standard eye version, eliminated the top leaf, ground and rounded the bottom edges of the leaves, and put it back together with teflon liner in between the remaining 4 leaves.

[​IMG]

Mission accomplished. The wind hits me right at the top of my head, which is a lot better then square in the glasses. I sure liked the looks of the shorter windshield better, though.

[​IMG]

The new spring is a lot better. Not Cadillac better, but a definite improvement. My rear shocks are 73-87 Chev truck front shocks. Just too darn stiff. I need something a lot softer with around a 13" ride height.

[​IMG]

I hole sawed out a Chip-style radiator cap to mount the bomber gunner wings that my boys found for the car. It made their day to see them mounted on top of the radiator shell.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  10. t-rod

t-rod

The best improvement to ride quality I made to my roadster was friction shocks. If I can make them, anyone can. I used Chip's recipe from earlier in the thread and adapted it to my car. I would recommend them for any light car.

Bad decisions make good stories.

need louvers ? likes this.
  11. nobux

nobux

I made friction shocks for the front, and they work great. I like the look of tube shocks in the rear, I'll have to break out my old Monroe catalog and start looking for some different ones.

loudbang, t-rod and Hudson31 like this.
  12. t-rod

t-rod

Good luck with your search. I sure enjoy driving my car now that she doesn't beat me up with every bump in the road.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Feel like making a visit to Ogden chrome to check in on the progress they are making on my parts ? :)
    Having someone show up in person might motivate them positively ;) :D
    Although I'm not worried or anything like that :)
    Larry

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    whiplash1923T, t-rod and loudbang like this.
  14. t-rod

t-rod

I don't work for the place in Ogden any longer, but I do get up that once in a while. Next time I do, I'll stop by the chrome shop.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Cool, no panic or anything, no need to make a special trip.
    Thanks, Larry.

loudbang likes this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, finally, I can make an update of sorts. The tax man came through and rear coil over shocks are on the way. I went with 165 lb. springs. They should be in my grubby hands Monday or Tuesday. They're adjustable, but I won't know how they ride, until that first or second drive.

It feels really good to be back to making progress.

17. Cool update and the key word is progress, wish I had some.:rolleyes: JW

loudbang likes this.
  18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A gift arrived today! HAMBer "Tim_with_a_T" sent me a package of Nicopp brake line! So, my next day off, I'll be laying out my brake lines. Also, I recieved an early birthday present. Let's just say, I'm on cloud nine! MAJOR updates coming soon. Here's a hint:

twheels.jpg

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

BLACK DAHLIA is BACK!;)

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Can't wait to see the BLACK DALHIA next to the KANDI KOLORD KLOWN.

need louvers ? likes this.
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Gary...... you'll be pleased. I know I will.

22. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Glad I could help, Fred. I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but your first build thread (with the spindle mount wire wheels on the front...and I believe later was in a wreck....) on tbucketeers???? - don't remember - anyway, that was the first time I followed someone's build thread and thought, "I could do that". Your documentation and approach to the build was extremely helpful and very inspirational. So even when it seems like you aren't making any progress, remember that someone somewhere is watching what you're doing, learning right there along with you. So that is progress right there! Carry on!

t-rod, tfeverfred, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  23. Warning ot. Just so you guys don,t think I've been sitting idle I'm back working on my colonial cab T truck. But had a little side job to do to improve my workshop equipment. I call it my kiwi lift, a bit like a kwik-lift. So at the moment it has my ot 71 Duster sitting on it.
    P2270593 (Medium).JPG P2270598 (Medium).JPG
    At least the roadster is in the shed and not on the lift.

t-rod, tfeverfred, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Installed my rear shocks today! Man, I love progress. My next step is to save the coin for wheels and tires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I know, compared to all the other updates.... this is like a sock puppet in the Playboy Mansion. But it's all I got and it'll get better. The best is yet to come....

Or....... I'll get a better sock!:eek:

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  26. Fred, those coilovers are much nicer than the ones I mentioned - good choice!

Steve

27. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Higher windshield looks great.....looks good, and looks like it will work good!

28. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are cars in this video ?

loudbang likes this.
  29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Throw away the Monroe catalog, and hit any foreign auto parts store and pick up a pair of pre-65 VW bug Link Pin front shocks. The cheaper the better. DON'T do gas charged or any razmataz stuff, just cheap oil dampened. Absolutely the magic bullet for a T-Bucket rear end.

The car is looking amazing!

jalopy45 and AndersF like this.