Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. prpmmp

prpmmp

Scotties!!! 15 cent burgers in the sixties and early seventies!! Down 420 to Charlies then to Mcdade and Springfield drive In,Back around Upper Darby High down Darby Road to West Chester Pike to Newtown Square(Green Hill Diner). Front st,Delaware ave,Darion st by the Stadiums!! Anybody remember a coupe(32-34?Erma-la deuce???) running at front street?(that got me hooked)Pete

2. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

About time for the Berlin Trpke also Washington ave North Haven Ct. And when a child my older cousins woukd run long wharf and savin rock

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Boatmark

Boatmark

70's - Too many miles cruising the beach in Ft. Lauderdale - "The Strip" was AIA from Sunrise Blvd down to the turn around at Bahia Mar. This was long before the beach wall and the AIA split. Angle parking into the sand, beers at the Elbo Room or The Parrott, and the chaos of spring break. For the munchies you went inland on Sunrise to the Neba's at Sunrise and Federal, or north to Commercial to La Spada's for the best Sub's on the planet. (still there!) Good times when Lauderdale was a much smaller place.

4. loudbang

loudbang

Bristol CT Plaza round and round. If we were running good down to the Berlin Turnpike to try the "big boys". Or route 72 in Terryville so many people ran there we even had water slide winner stickers made up with RT72 Dragway class winner printed on them.

5. walter

walter

Main Street Arapahoe Nebraska (1969 - 1972)
    Walter

6. Fast440

Fast440

Use to cruise G Street in Waukegan Ill. I either hung out at the Bridge or up At Plaid Stamps. Use to have a burn out contest at the Bridge then go race over at the Amstead road. Lots of nites spent at the Lake Lol and just cruising. Would like to find some of the gang from back in the day 1969 to 76.Still looking for Twins Roger and Bob, Barry, Paul with the cuda, Tommy with the Vette, Woody and Charlie
    Diane L, Melanie H, Leanne l, Jean marie, Carol R, Patti k, Gail E and a whole lot more. would be great to get a reunion...

7. The Driver

The Driver
    from Indiana

Wabash Ave. in Terre Haute, IN late 80's to mid 90's until I got to old for it. My parents use to do it as well although the circuit was a lot longer back then 60's and 70's. Use to call it cruising the BASH. If you wanted to race you took it out to hwy 46. I miss those days.

8. marman1950

marman1950

Highland Ave. National City just south of San Diego. Mostly lowriders. Cops really came down on it. Posted no cruising signs. You could only go up and down the street once. Anything more and you were "cruising". Good times though. It would get so crowded it was like a so-cal freeway rush hour....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Late 60's, west side of Columbus,Ohio Green Gables at Central Point then to West Broad to Big Boy. down in Logan, Ohio we hit the loop from The Shake shop dowm Hunter to Main St. to Front St. to The Knotty Pine and back to the Shake Shop. Burned a lot of rubber and Sunoco 260 and had a bunch of fun!!!

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

From 1966-1978 I lived near LAX back then. First in Westchester (north of LAX), then in Manhattan Beach (South of LAX) We cruised Hawthorne Blvd from the Wich Stand to the A&W. Also Manchester Ave to the Bob's Big Boy in Playa Del Rey for the street races on Pershing Dr. We also made it to Van Nuys Blvd whenever the gas money was available. Good times............

11. harleyddad

harleyddad

The Varsity Drive-in on North Ave. in Atlanta, GA was a blast in the late 60's. You could run light to light on Spring to go north on I-75. Lots of hot cars coming around the top parking deck all night.

33sporttruck likes this.
  12. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Scott st., Witchita Falls, Texas, In a 1964 Comet! Later, I cruised in a pearl White 1959 Desoto Firedome! God I miss those days.......

13. 56shoebox

56shoebox

1974-76 The Circuit in Asbury Park, NJ. Drag racing from light to light in front of the Stone Pony.

The circuit was a big square that started at Asbury Avenue, headed north on Ocean Ave past the boardwalk amusements, left onto 5th Ave, left onto Kingsley and left onto Asbury Ave to start over again.

14. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

harleyddad is right about the Varsity. In the 60's and early 70's that was the place to cruise. Street Races were picked out on the upper deck and it was a short drive up I-75 to the unfinished (at the time) I-285. On the stretch between I-75 and Hwy 41 there were many late night races held.
    Another was Jack's Drive In out toward Stone Mountain (Memorial Dr) It was always full of nice cars and nice Girls. Cops liked to hang out on Memorial near Jack's.
    Anybody that went to SWD, Decatur, Avondale and Towers High Schools usually frequented these places. Atlanta was a Hot Bed of Cool Cars and Cool Places to be. Especially for a Young Gear Head............ Jeff

15. spanners

spanners

As corny as it sounds, we used to cruise Hunter Street, Newcastle in the 70s. A local bloke did a song about it called "The Newcastle Song" by Bob Hudson. You'll find it on youtube, and it pretty much describes what it was like.

16. 2935ford

2935ford

Mid '60s Friday and Saturday nites.....the "Big A" (A&W root beer) on Hawthorne Blvd, Sunset and Hollywood Blvd in L.A.

17. When I lived on the Cape, Falmouth Heights was the place.
    Muscle Cars, Girls Sports Cars, Girls, Hot Rods, Girls, Bikes, Girls, Stockers. It was a flesh and HOT car supermarket..
    My brother used to do South Dennis, more for the girls. Never went there with him though.

18. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Grew up in the very small town of Clayton, New Mexico.....cruised Main St.....about 1 mile long, and turn around and go the other way in a circle...honking horns and waving as if we hadn't seen each other 5 minutes before!:cool:...then, grabbed a soda at Sonic (when they rode roller skates) & pretended we were awesome....afterwards parked at Safeway Parking lot and blinked headlights at passer-bys-----seems dumb now, but was 'fun' in a small cow town I guess back then----most had curfew and home by 9pm

19. boostedt

boostedt

late 80's and early 90's we cruised main st in blair ne. and also cruised the square in fremont ne.

20. exterminator

exterminator

E street,San Bernardino,So Cal in 68-70 and 72,73.Drove a 1958 ford 4-door,then 39 international pickup,then 40 chev coupe.Use to cruise with my buddy who had a 33 ford coupe while driving my 40 chev and we would both drive up to the light and then rev our engines and then let up on the clutch and punch it and the onlookers would cheer.What was funny was that my buddys coupe was fast and my coupe had the front of the fenders not bolted on because the car was mickey moused in that area so the car looked like it was lifting off the ground! LOL. Was fun!

21. Wyld Deuce

Wyld Deuce
    from ...

Until the mid 90's, we cruised Broadway.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  22. DuPage County, Ill. in the shadow of O'hare Airport. In the early 60's, "town" was a small grid of streets with nothing open except a couple of beer taps going 24 hours for the railroad workers coming off various shifts. There weren't many "built" cars but we headed out to Third Ave, in the woods or Thorndale Ave. in the corn fields to establish the pecking order.
    A long drive into the city (Chicago) to Skip's Fiesta drive in was the place to be seen and see the better class of cars.

23. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Born & Raised in West Los Angeles, a 20 minute ride on the fwy and I was on Van Nuys Blvd in 79

24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cleveland Street - Monett, MO
    Kearney Street - Springfield, MO
    Early to Mid 1980s
    Bad Ass Orange Nova (1962) Two Door hardtop
    400 sbc

25. RMONTY

RMONTY

Forest Lane, Dallas TX. There was a hot blonde that drove a hot Corvette that had a bumper sticker that said..."If you can beat me you can eat me!" I never saw her lose......

26. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kungsgatan
    Sveavagen
    Tegnergatan
    Birgers...
    In Joe's 1965 Dart or Johnny's 63 Malibu...

27. josephthreedogs

josephthreedogs

Fremont Street, Las Vegas, Nevada. From the Blue Onion to the UP train station and back. It would take about an hour.

28. Back in the late 60's early 70's we would cruise from Drive-In to Drive-In anywhere you wanted in town:

Beaky's Drive-in at Rockton and Auburn
    Bing's Drive-In on S. Main
    Geri's Hamburgers on Auburn St.
    Geri's Hamburgers on E. State St.
    Dog-N-Sud's Drive-In on Harlem Blvd.
    Dog-N-Sud's Drive-In on W. State St.
    A&W Root Beer up in Rockton
    A&W Root Beer on N. Main
    A&W Root Beer on N. Second St.
    Skeets Drive-In on N. Central at Auburn
    Skeet's Drive-In on N. Second St.
    Skeet's Drive-In on 11th St.
    Hollywood Drive-In on N.Second St.
    Steak & Shake on Kishwaukee St.

I remember back in the mid 60's, one of my uncles would put about 5 bucks of SUNOCO 260 in his '62 409 and we would cruise all night. Those were the days! :cool:

29. donno21

donno21

Up until '58, it was Yakima Ave, Yakima WA. I had a black '48 Plymouth 2 door with a 55 Plymouth "Hy Fire poly V-8". Friends had a warmed over Flathead 47 2 door, Olds powered (303") 40 F0rd coupe. Raced out West of town where it was all orchards, and North of Wapato. Always had beer and gas money.

30. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2 on E Street in San Berdoo! 1969 until I got drafted in 1971. International orange '65 Falcon 2 door wagon with a holley and a high rise, headers and a T-10 that popped out of 2nd when you backed off the gas. Good times.

exterminator likes this.