Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48 Plymouth ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FNG, Feb 25, 2017.

1. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

I bought the 48 Plymouth coupe today. It's getting delivered Monday, Does anyone know where I can find the data plate? I know vin numbers until the 1950's but I'm going to need something for a title

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. FNG likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

He are some serial numbers to assist.

For cars, the model code is on a plate on the engine side of the cowl over the steering column, or on the right front door front pillar post. The engine number is always on the left side of the engine block, at the front, below the cylinder head.

The serial number for passenger cars is on a plate on the right or left front door front pillar post, and/or on the instrument panel, and/or over the instrument panel.

4. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

There is a hidden number on the frame. I forget if it is on the left or right side, but it is on the outer vertical face of the frame at the high point of the kickup when you remove the rear wheel. Sand the area and you will see it.

FNG likes this.
  6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Not all P15 Plymouths will have a engine number on a plate on the door post. The engine number is the id number of the car for registration purposes unless the car was destined for a state which required a body number for id thus the plate on the door post.
    Similar situation at Ford which used chassis numbers and only stamped numbers on engines destined for states requiring them.

FNG likes this.
  7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Chrysler Corporation attached the serial number tag on one of the A pillars. it was placed there as the car finishing the assembly process. Based on the serial number series you can discern if your car was assembled in Detroit, Los Angeles, or Evansville Indiana. It is the number Chrysler uses to identify the car and it appears on the build card and the dealer paperwork, and you can request a build card facsimile from Chrysler Historical by submitting it and a check to their organization. The blue tag shown above is not a serial number, it is a faux tag with a P15 engine code stamped into it. The firewall tags are not used for vehicle Id. One is the body number assigned by Briggs manufacturing as the body was sent off to the Plymouth assembly plants, the red tag has no real purpose except to identify Chrysler Corporation as the manufacturer.

What number was used for ownership documents changed from state to state, county to county, and even office to office. The originally installed engine number is repeated on the rear frame kickup on the drivers side. Because of the easy nature of engine swaps to facilitate engine repairs, your vehicle has about a 50/50 chance of having its original engine. Seen lots of dodges with Plymouth engine, Plymouths with Dodge engines and both with truck engines and some with industrial engines. P = Plymouth, D=Dodge, Ind=industrial and T=truck. the longer blocks for chryslers, desotos and canadian cars was C=Chrysler, S for desoto,

Do you have paper work? What number does it have on it? My car in NY is registered by its serial number, my friend on the other side of the county has his 51 registered by the engine number, except for the fact that his car has a 54 Dodge engine in it, the number shows as a P 23xxxx number.