Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's talk Cadillac 331's, 365 and 390's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 7, 2016.

1. 55 intake fits on 60 block like a glove. A love glove.

Jessie J. likes this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

That was the first thing I saw when I read the article. Not sure where that came from.

3. Dimadee

Dimadee

58 intake fits a 390 like a glove too....check out my avatar!!

winduptoy and clunker like this.
  4. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About to first time fire the rebuilt '57 Cadillac 365. Whipped up this oil pump priming tool. Cut an old distributor gear down to clear cam. Used Chevrolet shaft (it's longer) Made aluminum spacer to fit block and accept hold down clamp. Be sure to spin drill motor in reverse. I realize it's not Rocket Surgery but may help someone. Ron prime.jpg

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

OK, I'll bite. Why in reverse? I'm a Caddy newbie.

6. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Probably because it ain't a small-block Chevy.;)

Pontiacs are the same as the Caddy, the distributor rotates counter-clockwise and drives the oil pump.

TERPU, winduptoy, ls1yj and 2 others like this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Man, that explains a lot. A buddy of mine was having a heck of a time getting his 365 to run. Couldn't get it in time. Same firing order, different direction. It all becomes clear now...

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Anyone know if these are the grommets for the valve covers (to hold the wires)?
    At first I said yes, but it says it requires 4 per car, so I am wondering.

https://www.opgi.com/cadillac/CE12198/

9. Are those the same grommets as from Steele?
    [​IMG]

They should fit the original valve covers, there are only two prongs, but maybe two others are meant to free float? Probably not.

[​IMG]

I really dig my old valve covers, but I just could not get them to seal no matter what I did. Oil drip drip drip. I got the aluminum Offy repops, (which are just as cool), they seal great with cork gaskets, dry. I only wish they weren't polished.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Really? I wonder if you could make the newer styled sbc rubber gaskets fit? I love those new style gaskets, they seal every time. I am asking , so that I can know what to do with the original covers. Trying to plan whether to chrome them, paint them etc. I was planning on keeping the loom holders, but only if I can use them. If they don't make the replacement grommets, I will cut them off.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

12. Didn't try the sbc gaskets, but I know what you mean. I have had better luck with cork, but I suck at getting things not to leak. If you try it and it works well let us know.

For myself, if I ever get a chance to build an A with a 390, with the motor exposed, I probably would rather have the original covers, because I really like old looking stuff. I probably won't even repaint the engine after I rebuild it. But my motor is in a Caddy, all buried in there, crap everywhere, so to me the Offys look better in that situation, makes the engine pop.

Weren't you gonna put adjustable Stude rockers in yours? Did you have to dimple the covers?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  13. 42merc

42merc

That's a nice piece of work.
    I took a different approach-quick & dirty. I can even loan it out without fear of not getting it back.
    P1020409.JPG P1020410.JPG

Stuff on the bench, 2 pieces of tubing 1 piece of 1/2" rod, weld together.
    About ten minutes of fartin' around. If I ever did another Caddy, I wouldn't be able to find it anyway.

P1020405.JPG

All this happened a couple of weeks ago.
    Freshened a 390 to replace the 365 in my '40.

P1020412.JPG P1020413.JPG P1020414.JPG

Installed & running, 262 Isky, Holley 600 & painted valve covers so the kids know what they are looking at.
    Saginaw 3 speed with OD & an 8" Ford rear. This is a ROAD CAR, no multi carbs, no wild cams.
    It works.

I agree, the tin covers are tough to seal, but it can be done.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  14. Love it. I really like the old covers in there! I dig a 390 poking it's head out from a hole it kicked another gopher out of.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I didn't realize they leaked that bad. I may not run the stude rockers. I have a set, but I am undecided.

16. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Caddy motor didn't leak any worse than my Hemi does. Marking their territory, as they say.

clunker and MOTOV8N like this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

These are always an option. [​IMG]

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Where did you score that intake?

19. 42merc

42merc

The intake was picked up at the Kalamazoo, MI Nats North a while back.

As far as the PML covers go, I won't put $500 valve covers (polished) on a $400 motor.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Who makes the intake?

21. 42merc

42merc

Cal Connel / DRE.

winduptoy likes this.
  22. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Once upon a time ....
    Good luck with finding one now. Better have a bushel of $$$$.

23. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

24. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Learn from my mistake.
    Manual states "Install rocker arm assembly in position on cylinder head with notches on each end of rocker arm shaft pointing downward and toward center of engine"
    Ran primer pump for a while. Left bank oiled fine. Right not so much. See first photo. Engine as received from machine shop had Right bank rocker arm shaft indexed incorrectly. Notch faced out.
    If you're reading this you may also be able to help me locate the missing oil filter restrictor fitting. Ron shaft4.jpg shaft3.jpg shaft2.jpg shaft1.jpg

25. 42merc

42merc

I'll post a pic of a bottom (discharge) fitting from a '59 Cad filter.
    It's a 90 degree fitting, '57 fittings are straight.
    It's a restricted fitting.
    I'm showing a #30 drill (.128") in the passageway.
    If you don't have a restricted fitting solder a standard fitting closed & drill with an 1/8" (.125") drill bit.
    I do this with flathead Fords a lot. Old Fords require a .060" hole.

Sorry for the poor pics, it's the best I can do.

EDIT: I must temper my thinking about the resricted fitting. After my post I went thru several 1/8 to 3/16 tube fittings & discovered all were drilled with about the same size hole, 1/8" + or - .
    Hindsight thinking says the bottom filter fitting is a standard item for 3/16 tubing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  26. Glad you caught the screw-up on the rocker shaft now, before you ran the engine. Both of my Cad engines had them assembled incorrectly by PO... cost me two sets of new rockers and shafts to make them right.

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Is this true if you are converting to the Studebaker? I know you mix and match pieces, but I am unsure of what pieces go where. Don't wanna ruin my stuff. Are there any old hot rod articles? No one around here knows squat about it.

loudbang likes this.
  28. 42merc

42merc

I don't know why you're hung up on the Stude rockers. I think they are a step backwards.
    Since you have Stude rockers & a torn down 390 Cad, put a Studey rocker on the 390 shaft next to the to a 390 rocker.
    Measure the center line of each push rod socket to the shaft & see what you really have.

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

I spoke with the tech guy at Schneider Cams and he said in order to run the cam I want, I would need the adjustable rockers. If possible, I would prefer retaining the Cadillac.

winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  30. cretin

cretin

I did a set recently for a 331. According to my research, you swap the stude rockers onto the Cadillac rocker shafts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app