Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical steering box mounting

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 410merc, Feb 20, 2017.

1. 410merc

410merc

hi guys , been working on my 30 tudor , here's my question , would there be anything wrong with mounting my steering box on top of the frame rail , instead of inside ,I'm using or trying to use a 48 f1 steering box ,and it looks like that would end a lot of my clearance problems the Pontiac v8 is king of wide ,thanks guys

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

A number of cars & trucks in the '20's & '30's mounted the steering box on top of the frame rail.

410merc likes this.
  3. 410merc

410merc

I never knew that , but seen couple people do it , must not be a problem

4. I mounted the box on top of frame in my '30 tudor. worked out fine just make sure you make a strong bracket.

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Not much room in a Model A, I used an F1 steering box on my flathead powered car with full fenders. I cut the mount off the stock box and the F1 box (same size shaft) had a professional welder weld them together and moved it out as far as possible and still barely clears the headers. I used the mount off another A box as a support bearing on the outside of the frame.

Attached Files:

6. 410merc

410merc

thanks again for all the photos and help , this should work good , it will even come fairly close to where the old colum came through thefirewall ,thanks guys

7. nobby

nobby

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    anyone ever fitted a dodge d100
    I just happened to have a casting, has a short 3/4 36 input and a 7 inch pitman arm
    stock the arm points down
    I just bought a cheap corvette large sector steering box to fit its quick ratio worm and long sector into it
    trouble is the arm will only work facing up.
    I shall see if they fit and its possible...... with a 5 inch long pitmann the drag link might be just perfect to the top of the spindle/knuckle

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    410merc likes this.
  8. christmas tree

christmas tree

We used a Corviar on our 31 pickup an top and it works well