Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tech Week -- Cutting and Routing Exhaust Mandrel U-Bends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HUSSEY, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

made a few adjustments to the cheapo saw and bought a better blade, much better now

got both sides roughed in, need to add a few flange connections to be able to break it down,
    add a few hanger supports and finish weld and clean it all up..

here's a teaser shot,
    maybe I can resurrect the old build thread and put a few pictures there..

20160701_183638.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Tim, HUSSEY and warbird1 like this.
  2. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I finished up some more exhaust on my truck a little while back. Thought I would provide some updated pics.

I'm running a Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow muffler. I'm not sure how I ended up choosing that muffler way back when I bough it...I think I heard it on another guys truck at a parts store but I really didn't research it much before buying it. Before I had the exhaust dumping just before the axle and it was loud as hell from inside the cab. With the exhaust out back under the bumper it's a bit quieter but I will likely end up going with a different muffler. I've been told it doesn't sound obnoxious going down the road, it just seems to drone in the cab a bit more than I think I would like on longer drives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i thought i'd revive this thread with my own take . first of all , excellent write up hussey . i've done my own exhaust on my last 2 builds (first gen novas) but pretty much eye balled all my "miter" cuts. they didnt turn out too bad but something like this set up would've made it a lot better. since i'm at the point of doing the exhaust on my coupe i thought i would take the time to make up my own jig. but ....thing is i dont have a band saw and do most of my cutting on a chop saw. but .....i do have a sawzall. so i figured adapting the jig to work with a sawzall would be just as good. i followed the same path using wood for the curved end ,and used scrap 1/2 " square tube for the rest . i also mounted my jig on some 3/4 plywood so i could set it on a milk crate for a better angle of attack working the sawzall. it works really good ,no blade flop . i'm considering maybe using a ratchet strap to anchor the pipe down ,however on my trial run a regular squeeze type clamp worked pretty good . check out my pics !

[​IMG]DSC_0001 by jeff bonnell, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0005 by jeff bonnell, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0002 by jeff bonnell, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0003 by jeff bonnell, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0007 by jeff bonnell, on Flickr

Dino 64, TagMan and Tim like this.
  4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

GREAT UPGRADE to a GOOD IDEA!!! KUDOS to both of you!!

5. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Cool idea...looks like it works really well. I can't imagine anyone not owning a sawzall.

fauj likes this.
  6. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Great idea, I'll try it on next proj.

7. Dug deep to find this thread. Remember reading it years ago. About to run exhaust on my COE project. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

warbird1 likes this.
  8. Using this to build the exhaust on my '40... works well!

9. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Great tech. I,ve struggled with the front half of my system but looks like the back half might come together easier with this jig.