Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects United Pacific 5W Deuce Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groovy, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post your progress Groovy, I for one will be watching with interest and assistance if you ever ask for it. I have been building the "1-800 Special" (how the HAMB categorizes it) for nearly 5 years now. I have hand built most every component and made a lot of styling changes to the body and frame that wore out my old welder. My car will be one of the finest hot rods ever imagined but not entirely welcome here. Trust me, I don't lose any sleep over it :D

Enjoy this site for what it is, a little camaraderie, help from some talented and experienced builders and mechanics, advice from a lot of different eyes and some amusement "on cold nights and days when there's nothing to do". :D

I for one will take 1000 threads like yours over the "boxers or briefs" threads that pop up everyday. o_O

Let me watch your progress.

2. swifty

swifty

Pete, as I said in my previous post the panels are great but the assembly is the problem e.g the panel between the cabin and the trunk opening was not welded in the correct position and was dead flat, not curved to match the trunk lid. Also the junction line between the cabin and body was not correct. Not a big problem if you've got a good metalman on the job like I had. That's just a couple of examples. Unfortunately when you spend that much on a body you do expect a lot.

I spent a lot less time on bodywork on my glass 32-5 than on this steel one.

Nicholas Coe, Kan Kustom and joel like this.
  3. I'd rather watch this car go together than another Dodge pilothouse, International or 64 c10.

Edit: ...or cupholder or mirror muff discussion.

4. Pete

Pete

Haha.... so true!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. Groovy

Groovy

Swifty... The body is beautiful. I was told this was one of the first 3 built at United Pacific in the USA. Not sure if any are being built in China anymore... Anyone know?
    I did some twisting of the driver door to get the gap better but that was it. They Tig welded the cowl joints and roof.

6. I agree.
    And an engine running in the sweet spot zone is a lot more economical than one lugging. Low RPM does not necessarily equal better economy.

D-Russ likes this.
  7. Groovy

Groovy

As for using new parts if there are any locally other than the two Beat 32 sedan bodies that I found then I am not aware of them. I'm not driving all around the country checking out leads that may or may not be worthwhile. As for other parts $1600.00 for a Henry steel grill that I just saw yesterday on facebook. Seriously if I spent the next 10 years collecting parts at the prices people are asking for them I would have to sell my house to afford the build and I would loose interest.
    90% of the people at car shows can't tell the difference and it beats driving any new car from a dealership for the cool factor.
    Like it or don't like it. Just like titties... Real or fake they are still fun to play with!

8. :)

nunattax and ratman like this.
  9. swifty

swifty

Groovy, my body had a sticker on the dash rail which said "Assembled in the U.S.A." As I understand it the panels are pressed in Taiwan and assembled in the US. My body was supposedly assembled by Waldens but I haven't been able to confirm that. Doesn't matter now, it's all been fixed and I'm currently wet sanding ready for paint. Paint wont be happening any time soon though.

ct1932ford, kidcampbell71 and brEad like this.
  10. Groovy

Groovy

Swifty... I also have that tag. Also inside underneath the cowl there is a #46 written in a yellow paint marker. I am guessing the 46th built? Do yo have a number under there?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With my own 31 Model A I can understand where you are coming from . Since it;s a Victoria some parts are a bit harder to come by and I paid 500 for the drivers door to replace the one that laid in the dirt or mud for 40 or more years after the car got flipped on it's side to take the running gear out. I'm looking at a lot of hours to get the body in reasonable shape and starting with a new body sure would speed things up by years.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. swifty

swifty

Well I beat you Groovy as mine is #39. Hopefully with those extra 7 bodies they got their assembly act together.

golferforpar likes this.
  13. GeeRam

GeeRam

:D

I'm even further away from stashes of nice original parts, which is why my '32 is using a Brookville body to replace the scruffy fibreglass body that came with the 'project pile of bits' that I originally acquired. It will have some original Henry steel welded into it though ;)
    Likewise, as much as a nice vintage Nailhead or Rocket would have been my preference, again, being t'other side of the Atlantic, practicalities dictate chucking in a crate SBC as being the more cost effective route for the engine, especially with the considerable investment of the steel body in the project.
    Looking forward to seeing how yours goes :cool:

fegsta likes this.
  14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

To those who are old enough to remember when Model A's were on the back of a used car lot for $75, we need to get with the program. Junk yards are going the way of the dodo bird. I've seen more than a few projects using original iron turn into crap because the owner ran out of space, funds or family support. I've done it both ways...$500 per door on a '29 CCPU with another $200+ per door for patch panels and body work. Or, get progress reports and send checks every month. Quite frankly, I've got better things to do than chase parts 500 miles away or send somebody a check for crap. I've never bought into the "my car has soul because I built it with original parts". There's another thread here going on about the future of the hobby. Looking down your nose at the so called 1-800-Hot-Rods certainly doesn't inspire confidence in people looking to built a car.

jackalope, 54reno, BHRS and 4 others like this.
  15. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

I find it funny/sad/ironic that some who were lucky/old/rich enough to have original sheet metal and frames demean the efforts of someone who has the passion but not the luck/age/money. It was just dumb luck that let me find my '32 pick up.... otherwise I would be in the same boat.

A hot rod is a hot rod is a hot rod. Carry on and post lotsa pics. Somebody somewhere gets something out of each one.

clem, brEad, FlyFisher and 4 others like this.
  16. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

The soul of a car thing always makes me laugh. Cars don't have a soul. People do. That to me means everyone that builds a car puts their soul into it, old or new. I personally have spent the first part of my life building cars from old rusty, greasy,dirty,deteriorated parts. Not because I wanted to but because I didn't have the money to buy new parts available that I liked . In the beginning I did kind of like bringing a piece of crap back to life but after a while it occurred to me that I would rather buy what`s available and build what`s not so I could use the saved hours of restoring parts that are available new, to build more projects in this short time we are given on earth. I get it that some guys favorite thing to do is restore. I personally seem to never run out of ideas to make new and different parts and pieces and that's what I enjoy doing and seeing from others most. I like a well done car from all new parts as much as I like a well done one from original parts. To me its the one off fabricated unavailable parts and ideas on either style of build that gets my attention. In the end its to each his own.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, I'm glad I stopped in to see some positive posts in this thread. Real steel is great. IF you can find, afford and fix it. Kudos to those that have and do. But the OP and the rest of us make due with what we can. Would it make you "gennie" guys feel better, if he bought a steel car and screwed it up? I kinda doubt it.

Carry on, OP. I'm subscribing. Have fun and good luck. And Denis4x4, I'm using one of your statements for my new signature. I agree 100%.

FlyFisher, 54reno and Bandit Billy like this.
  18. 75% of the hot rods on here look damn near the same, but this guys gonna be tearing up the road in 6 months with new parts while all the grumpy naysayers are busy peeling knuckle skin off to dig through a pile of tetanus for a bent up grill shell. And those same grumps would break their necks when he passes em on the highway. Keep it up groovy and make sure to update on the pics dude/

nunattax, brEad and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Or this
    vvvvvv

20. lucky13

lucky13

Who's to say that the car wont get it's own soul when it's on the road and enjoyed for years?

brEad, murpa, Mr48chev and 1 other person like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fred, when your posts get heated your avatar's pasty's should start twirling! :D

Good post though. This build thread is good for the hobby and good for the HAMB in my opinion.

brEad, chriseakin, jackalope and 4 others like this.
  22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

GEE Fred ! Don't hold back. Say what you really feel . ;) I will never eat another piece of meat without thinking respect for you. Guys like you keep America going and make life better for all of us.

murpa likes this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, one more before I have to log off. I know they don't have souls but I have felt sorry for a car, like a Bloomington Gold corvette from 1967 with a 427, tri power and a rock crusher that has 000004 miles on the odometer. It never had any fun, it has no race stories to tell, no near death experiences, no yarns, no life...no soul perhaps. We should all build what we can, drive them while we are able and save the bickering for when we are too old to do either.
    Keep up the good work groovy!

24. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

go groovy build that car!! I wish I could afford one of those bodies. one of my favorite cars is the 5 winder ,working mans hot rod. I too get so tired of all the bs about buying parts from a catalog. This hobby was affordable using factory parts until the passé money crowd felt like the only way to fit in was to build traditional cars after they sold their fiberglass cobras and street rods. used to be cheaper to use original parts than new, remember the 80s when everyone wanted to chuck all the straight axle frontends and flatheads for ifs and tuned port motors? you could buy a whole front end and brakes for 80.00 bucks, try that shit now. A hot rod is a hot rod . I currently have a Brookville bodied 32 roadster in my garage I built from two frame rails and a body.alot of the parts I bought new. on the other side of the garage is a model A im building that is 90% factory parts . they are both hot rods. You put the soul in the car when YOU build and DRIVE it!!!

brEad, Bandit Billy and joel like this.
  25. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The point is it is up to the moderators to determine if it does or doesn't meet the scope of the site. If it is here and you don't like it, look at a different thread.

26. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen. A few years ago, I took vacations traveling the country. I bought new bikes and we. both got our soul crossing state lines. Put it together and drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bandit Billy and slinginrods like this.
  27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm looking forward to this thread getting back on track and following along with your build. Please update with more photos and details as you make progress!

cretin and seadog like this.
  28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i say build away , if you can afford all new stuff and keep the hobby going more power to you , the reason I don't post my build is its all used original parts and some speedy stuff , and some Ron pope manufacturing parts , and a really cool Rotten leonard aluminum gas tank , it would probably be called a R... Rod I call it affordable and maybe fun if it gets finished , id love a Merc or A willys , but all I can afford is a T bucket keep on building I will follow your progress

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I read the Pacific ad with interest when they first announced there would be an all new '32 FIVE window!
    The price staggered me...but, as the owner of quite a lot of nice stuff I wagered, "I could trade up to that..." if I wanted to. (I actually do want to; Let me explain why.)

Exactly 60 years ago, a friend of mine graduated from high school, (good sharp mind, Tim was a 'natural engineer'. His '32 Five window coupe was an example, body and frame refurbished by hand, 324 Olds engine and LaSalle box rebuilt to spec, '49 Olds rear and MorDrop '32 axle, all running gear finished and painted. Body and frame also finished and painted, by Flyer's of San Jose...)
    Tim had earned a scholarship, and his plans changed overnight. He was accepted by M.I.T.

Tim's Mom mentioned the car was for sale...I told my pal Ted, we went to see the car. It was 'stacked' in cardboard boxes, on wood blocks, and wrapped in newsprint...all over both stalls of his Mom's garage. She said, "Two seventy five, and I want it out of here ASAP!"
    Ted and I went to get his Dad's 5 ton flatbed, and 2 friends...He paid her in cash, and we loaded the frame and body first. Three trips to my Grandma's house, set frame and body up on the side opposite my roadster. The brand new maroon Deuce was like an AMT kit sitting there...
    Tim had a chain hoist we used to swing the Olds engine and rear end, we used mine at Grandma's to unload the heavy stuff.
    The Deuce sat for 3 months, at the end of summer Ted said he didn't have time for the Deuce, he still had his '33 Tudor...did I want the Deuce? Yes. YES!

I set the body on the frame, got some chrome done...(I worked part time at a chrome shop in Santa Clara) Sold the Olds mill, and the LaSalle trans. Paid Ted some money, finished my big flathead, installed it and my '37 Lincoln sideshift box (right hand side plate with stick on PASS side) and a borrowed Quickchange from another older friend.
    Toupal's of San Jose did the interior, off-white tuck n roll, dark red 'piping'. New Bell 3 spoke, S-W 2-5/8" gauges (all stuff Tim had) This was like a New '32!
    So long ago, but I remember it just like yesterday. Car went together in less than a year. BUT I didn't have to fix everything!

Would I do what Groovy's doing? (AGAIN?) Sure as hell would.
    But I haven't 'fallen into' another "like new" '32 five window lately...and not 'willing' to trade my '27 roadster and tub and other stuff off just yet...

slinginrods and lucky13 like this.
  30. I really dig this site and check into it almost every day. I just don't get all the bull shit over a guy trying to build a 32 Ford 5 window all steel hot rod. Yes I know it is not a real Henry body as they are getting so dam hard to find these days. But I just don't understand you guys bitching about his build. Come on it's a 32 steel hot rod. Flop & Ben have a post on here of Flop chopping Bens 3 window (Brookville body) on here and I can't recall anyone saying bad shit about why did you not build a real deal body. Everyone liked Flops work and everyone liked what Ben was wanting to build. So WTF ???
    Sure do not like to see all this crap on this outstanding build that will be a nice steel 32 Ford 5 window when it is finished.
    Come on guys cut him some slack......