Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The george shull special 33 ford pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by john dioli, Sep 19, 2016.

1. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Holy backyard reverse eye spring, batman! I WILL be using that "high tech" vise trick. Thank you very much for that pic of your vise- great, simple ingenuity. Build that truck the way YOU want and enjoy the hell out of it

2. if that's a sunroof, I'd loose that first!

3. john dioli

john dioli

Wheel dog it was very easy put a line on spring every inch or so, then put spring in vise and it only took about three turn of the vise at each line and prolly five passes total to reverse it.
    Rusty when and if i go the body that sunfoof is the first to go.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  4. Neat time capsule, only thing that would bug me is the sunroof. I'd fill that and blend some paint in. Very cool ride, dig the wheels as well.

5. SkyDriver

SkyDriver

John, thanks for taking good care of George's truck. He and Nancy have been great friends of ours since the Over the Hill Gang was formed in 1973. He was originally in the San Bernadino chapter while I was in the San Diego group. They moved to east San Diego County in the late 70's. The truck was a red/orange color back then (as I recall), but otherwise pretty much the same as you received it. The truck did receive an award at the first STREAK (1974), but I don't remember what for. George and Nancy also drove a gold colored '40 Ford Tudor in the 70's and early 80's.

Obviously, it is now your truck to do with what you please, but (IMHO) if you change the wheels and two tone it, it'll be just another truck.

6. Richard Head

Richard Head

If you cut the 32 bar just inside of the headlights, you can pivot the curved portion out just enough to clear the pickup grille shell. Just make sure your fenders/braces are tight and adjusted for fit first.

Dave

7. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

x2 thats what i did on my 34...

8. john dioli

john dioli

Yes
    yes I agree I have decided to leave truck as is just changing headlights and bar other than that it will stay as it always has been I talk to nancy once a week or so so if you like I can say you said hi . Just need your name
    John

9. john dioli

john dioli

Thanks d
    Thanks Dave once I get it back together I will work on the bar
    John

10. SkyDriver

SkyDriver

Bill Hogue

11. john dioli

john dioli

well a little update I'm STILL waiting for my axle in its third month (all I want for Christmas) anyway I decided to check the wishbones good thing I did.
    Who has ever seen a coarse thread tie rod before, what they did was welded a nut into wishbone and got some all thread then welded the tie rod end to that scary but worked for over 40 years
    [​IMG]
    new bungs and tie rods
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. john dioli

john dioli

well i finally have a lot of progress on the truck, the axle is done and looks great and Dennis did a fantastic job on the tie rod and spindles, I modified the headlight bar ended up cutting out the center section and welding in a new piece of stain less , gave it its first cleaning in 10 years and now she is ready for the havasu dueces show in havasu
    john
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Bitchin' !!!

john dioli likes this.
  14. Great truck! Sent you a PM.

15. john dioli

john dioli

Just saw PM will do and thanks

16. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

How did it go at The Streak this weekend?

17. quickrack-alan

quickrack-alan
    from Ireland

All the photo links are broken.
    Damn shame as I'd like to see the truck.

studebaker46 likes this.