Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead generator conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommy, Jun 11, 2005.

1. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Mine was still charging like a champ when I sold the car earlier this year. Both the generator and the regulator have worked fine since 1995. Admittedly not a huge amount of miles in that time but she started and charged every time in that period.

2. diiulio

diiulio

I know this is an old thread, but does anybody have the pictures from the first post? I am going to try and buy a 12v generator and mate it to my 6v generator. Seems the cheapest I can find 12v field coils is $70 and I can get a 12v generator for the same price or cheaper.

3. alchemy

alchemy

Dullo, what kind of mounts are you trying to keep? Is it going in a pre-40, or pre-48, or a post 49? The easy answer is to just buy a used 12v generator from 1958 to about 1964 and swap the front cover from the old 6v onto it (using the 12v armature, housing, rear cover, and fields). The possible hard part is getting the pulley you need to fit. Let us know your end application.

4. diiulio

diiulio

End application is a 8ba (49-53), I have two 8ba generators. So, basically just the front cover goes on the 12v generator? How about the pulley? I guess I will pick up a 12v generator if it is that easy.

5. Andy

Andy

On mine, all I used from the later gen was the main case and field coils. The rear bearing was different so I could not use the back cover. The 6V front mount, pulley were used to fit the engine. I found a 12V 56 gen and just used that for the conversion. This was to be used on a 46 engine.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  6. alchemy

alchemy

I have '40 style stuff, so I'm not sure about the 8BA pulley, but I think it may just bolt right on the 12v armature. You may be lucky. I think you will need to drill a small hole in the bottom of the case for the locating pin of the mount to fit into. Make it match the 6v case's location.

7. Andy

Andy

I am running the 6V armature. Works just fine.

8. FlatJan

FlatJan

When i exchange the housing, is it still positive ground and how cna i change that?
    thanks

9. cederholm

cederholm

Yup, this old beautiful thread again!

Like others before I'm looking to convert my '52 8BA 6v generator to 12v. Am I correct that I need to use a 58'-65' Ford 12v generator? And from that I only need the case and field coil, to which I use my 8BA's armature, front and rear plate and pulley?

Then I match it to the correct voltage regulator?!? On that note, does anyone have that schematic drawing from 2006 that was first mentioned and now gone missing?

Thanks for any and all help.

~ Carl