Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 37 Zephyr build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Wensum Valley Rods, Jul 28, 2012.

1. WWinIL

WWinIL

Paul,
    I've enjoyed this thread. Great job on your work and taking the time to take pic's and show your progress. FYI, the March 2014 Rod & Custom has an article on Pendine Sands and there's a pic of your Zephyr on P. 50, as well as on P.52 (In the far background,center right pic).

Keep up the great work !

2. birdman1

birdman1

I saw a Model T Ford conversion that used a cast-link chain running from the rear axle hub to 2 axles, one ahead and one behind the drive axle. soo it had a tandem axle, very slow moving, as all the trucks were in the teens and twenty's. just a thought also, the Case farm tractors actually used a chain drive until the early 70's. it was inside the rear-end housing, ran in 90w grease, and had asjusters to take up the slack. very reliable.

3. Is it out already?! Wonder if our man Ratty could grab a couple of copies...?

4. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Now there's a plan Phil.

5. WWinIL

WWinIL

Mine was in the mail yesterday (12-20). Not the best of images on my part. Here's what it looks like:

Enjoy,
    Walt

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Cheers Walt, looks like a good feature.

Paul.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Just read it (my dad get's R&C, I don't take any mags anymore) - good article. Wish I had been there....

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Incredible build, wow.

9. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Hi Paul !
    Incredible , resurrect bits and pieces to a lovely era perfect ArtDeco ride , you need some kind of price for this achivement , I read about a lorry they hoisted out of a Swedich lake that had been laying in mud for 50 years and restored it , thats the only other project that can compete with your car . Simply fantastic !!!
    One thing I read of the deaching the spring , I remember someone told me that they needed to be heat treated to work in its new shape and found this explanation of the process :
    http://www.eatonsprings.com/rearching.htm
    Spring steel are tuff stuff , I been riding my -51 Merc with 2 of the seven leafs flipped for the last 20 years , I dont think its the right way but it has worked without problem ... !
    Wolf

10. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Hey Wolf, coming from you that is one mighty fine compliment. I have seen the work you produce and it's damn cool.
    Interesting about the springs, Mine has been fine and I have read and know of lots that have been done this way I did it from way back when and it works well.

Paul.

11. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

12. Silverado85

Silverado85

Awesome build. Love the hand craft design on your bumper brackets. Best ever!

13. Puli-Song

Puli-Song
    from Finland

Just awesome! This story give more power to my own ´36 Zephyr project.

14. Whats been going on over at the Wensum Valley Rod shop???

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. I just re-read this entire thread because it is one of my all time favorites! Here's a bump to the top and a "Cheers" to you Paul!

16. adam401

adam401

I just read this whole thread this morning as well. Super hero level save on this. Its one thing to do it in the USA. That would be impressive enough but to ship it overseas then take on a project like that is amazing. I love the dedication and the end result is phenomenal!

Wensum Valley Rods likes this.
  17. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Ha ha cheers guys. I've now been using the Zephyr quite regularly for the last three years. It's been to Pendine beach races every time so far as well as doing a couple of laps on the Brands Hatch track.
    I had several teething problems to start with, the main one being persistent overheating of the engine. After lots of trial and error and a complete recore of the rad it turned out to be that somebody had removed the baffle in the radiator header and that resulted in water being thrown out of the overflow everytime I went round a right hand bend . I installed a pressure cap and neck and cured the problem.
    I have also had and still got quite violent clutch judder. I cured it for a while but after around 100 miles it returned. Whilst trying to trace the problem I removed the transmission cover and the speedo drive and tried to let the clutch up slowly with my foot on the brake and noticed the prop is bouncing inside the torque tube. It would appear that the torque tube bearing sleeve is badly worn ( I changed the bearing and packed it with grease and it again cured the problem for several miles until I guess the grease spread out.
    I have left it for now as a 5 speed gearbox is a very high possibility in the near future.
    I also quickly came to the conclusion that the old flathead from my old 27 was very worn and was using as much oil as it was petrol. I cured that by buying a complete Simca Marmon army truck and removed its engine for the Zephyr.
    Still got lots to do to and have some more plans for the old girl yet but I am having fun in it and it's getting used like it was meant to be.
    Here's a few pics of our adventures so far. Zephyr on  Brands Hatch 2015.jpg

18. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

The pic above is me on Brands Hatch track. This was a really good event for me as it gave me a chance to give the Zephyr some hard driving. It always seemed to want to go straight on the road and you had to slow down and really work it on the bends. I had it sideways and howling those whitewalls round the hairpins and soon realised it will go round you just have to force it a bit. :)

Beverly getting ready for one of her runs down Pendine beach. She was only around 1mph slower than me. In my defence the fuel pump stopped delivering at full rpm so a touch under 75 was all we could manage.

Pendine 2015.jpg

Helping out my mate Clark who had gearbox issues on the beach and despite a very good effort to fix it the tide coming was beating us. The only and safest option was to tow him with the Zephyr.

Pendine 2016 8.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  19. Fantastic! I'm still in awe of what you have done to resurrect this beauty!

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

WOW, GREAT SAVE.:D

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful car! Too bad Beverly wasn't enjoying herself. :D:)

22. Very cool. Don't leave us all hanging another 2 years for the next update!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. They're horrible!!!! Please don't do it.

24. Just found this thread and read the whole lot in one go. VERY inspirational to me, so thank you.

25. topher5150

topher5150

Hokey Pete's!!!!!! This makes me feel a lot better about my little project compared to yours

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  26. siouxindian

siouxindian

you are a very good car repair man . i want to thank you for sharing this repair. dencie

27. siouxindian

siouxindian

yes he is very talented! he makes it look easy.

28. siouxindian

siouxindian

you could not have not did that without your wife.

29. siouxindian

siouxindian

yes. they were put on because of water. just like building a building it is not always a sunny day. snow load.