Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 FORD COUPSTER!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by STUNNED MULLET, Feb 16, 2017.

1. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

thanks for the advice sloppy! I think the previous owner chopped this top after many drinks, and maybe with a blindfold on.. then welded mosaic size metal pieces all around it... its baffling why someone would do this, rather that use a good piece of sheet metal and trace what needs to be covered. I will take pics tonight and show you guys. its a definite head shaker...

2. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

good Morning All, So I have been working and brainstorming on what to do about these door posts, and windshield frame. its pretty much junk now that they have cut off the windshield posts. I have taken off the drivers door, and have 1 more hinge pin to go on the passenger... man those are a bitch to get out! since my firewall is new, my cowl is good, and the cowl sides are good, all I really need is the door post/windshield framing.. found something on ebay, but I would REALLY like to go the roadster post route with the roadster windshield. my question is can I just buy roadster door/cowl posts and mount them on my coupe cowl? or are they 2 different animals all together? I guess if I cant morph my coupe front half into a roadster, I could chop this coupe setup... I just don't like the way it sits so upright...

Attached Files:

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Yup,
    You can buy the roadster cowl posts [side] from snyder's, howell's, mac's or most suppliers...
    Check to see if you get the ears that the roadster's w/s posts "screw" through with the new posts... [2 screws per side]... also one might buy the '29 cowl sides from the same supplier that has the cowl posts...
    Memory tells me that the '29 roadster and '29 sport coupe beltlines are at different hights from the bottom...
    Truncated sport coupe doors may sit to high... memory says that it may have to do with there being 2 different hight '29 lower panels...[ about 2"]...
    but the doors being 29.25" at the beltline compared to the 24.??" roadster door will make getting in or out a breeze...
    hinges may be different vertical distances on the 2 cars...

4. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

mine is a 28, but I think 28-29 are virtually the same. that's another thing I didn't take into consideration.. the damn doors... I have coupe hinges, and I know they mount completely different and are in different locations on the door.

5. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The doors on a roadster are shorter top to bottom, yes. They stop above the reveal line at bottom of the car. I believe closed car doors include the reveal. That makes up the height difference. Roadsters had a sill plate mounted on the subrails that had the reveal built in. This filled the gap below the door. 28-29 cars and trucks (with the exception of 4dr sedan) used the same cowl. Only the posts are different for roadsters as you stated.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Pic a little dark. Sill plate is installed (black primer) below the door 1487787858530.jpg this is the sill plate from the inside 1487787989868.jpg

7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I think the frames, sub floor extetions, wooden mounting blocks, cowl side panels and gastanks are the same for '28 -'29 roadster and coupe ... the closed cab trucks are not...