Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Any HAMBERS in trouble with West Coast storms?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Feb 18, 2017.

1. GTS225

GTS225

If this keeps up, there's going to be no topsoil left in the Cali. Good luck to you west coasters.

Roger

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the good stuff is behind levees, and, ironically, BELOW sea-level.

3. LBCD

LBCD

Katuna, 6-bangertim and jnaki like this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey LBCD,
    Lawn? We haven't watered the yard since middle of October. Since we are on a once a week mandatory watering schedule, those pesky rains just happen to come on the weekend or Tuesdays. Our watering day is Monday until the summer. No watering within 72 hours which is fine for us, our plants are mostly succulents and low water shrubs. But, hopefully those in control won't penalize us for not using water. Yikes..
    Jnaki
    upload_2017-2-19_16-12-22.png
    several more on the way, but they are fast moving...eastward.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lawn?

We don't grow a crop we don't eat. Our back yard is food, and stone.

6-bangertim likes this.
  6. LBCD

LBCD

Yep...90% of house's in Socal have a front lawn. I have not watered in months...reminding me of growing up in Ireland with all this rain.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

exterminator likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are just a few if the very real issues that I am finding in my normal operating range:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one caused a 4-hour detour:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Passed by this on Saturday, on the way back from Autorama. The telephone poles out on what is normally land were more than half submerged:
    [​IMG]
    California has over 1,400 named dams, impounding over 1,300 reservoirs. Almost every single one of them is under pressure. Almost the entire Central Valley is protected my nothing more than earthen levees that farmers built, to protect farmland. The trouble is, it is not all farmland anymore, and much of it is below sea-level. There are cities like Redding, Chico, Yuba City, Sacramento, Stockton, Porterville, Modesto, Turlock, Merced, Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield, and Clovis are there now, too. A levee breech could flood the entire valley with brackish (salty) water from Redding, to Tejon Ranch, or about 18,000 sq mi. About half of all of the produce that feeds the US comes from this valley, and that's if you don't bother to care about the lives and livelehoods of the 7,156,649 people who live in that valley.

This ain't no conspiracy, and we still have about two months of the rainy season before this comes thundering down the mountains:
    [​IMG]

jazz1, deucemac, lurker mick and 4 others like this.
  8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Plan on driving from Portland , Oregon area down I-5 to Sacramento and on to Reno this Tuesday or Wednesday. Is this a bad idea and should wait for a few days?

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday look good.

jazz1 likes this.
  10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Wait a few days. We have more on the way today and Monday and more towards the next weekend again.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-2-20_7-30-16.png
    Hello,

So Cal is getting another round of rain. The 50-60 mph rainstorm from two days ago is now covering the midwest, but for us, it was a fast moving storm that moved backyard furniture all over the yard, moved a stainless barbecue down the sidewalk, and broke many palm branches from 20 ft. tall queen palms. But upped the total rainfall for So Cal and the local mountains.

Look how fast that last one moved and just since this early morning, your travel area is covered, now. there is a break coming...
    Jnaki
    Stay safe...
    upload_2017-2-20_7-35-3.png

12. There was a sink hole near my house do to the rain.

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  13. The CHP has a road condition advisory number - 1-800-427-7623.

14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the bottom of my heart, I wish you guys all the best! I can relate what you are going through.All over Europe we ´ve had heavy rains and bad floods for the last 3 years in a row, every May, June and July.I helped quite some friends rebuild their homes and reorganize their lifes after they lost all they had. Let´s hope it´ll be over soon.

15. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Shoulder lane of 1-15 @ 138 collapsed took a fire truck with it. This is on my route home from work:eek::(:( cajon firetruck2.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine knows the owner of the lower car.

Stogy likes this.
  17. K and K

K and K

The shop flooded, nothing was seriously damaged except about ten sheets of drywall. (That I just put in last summer!) I dug a ditch that will become French drain along side the shop, then smashed through the concrete directly in front of the shop doors to put in a culvert pipe. Smashing through perfectly good concrete sucked! The '56 Buick I just bought is under a tarp outside as I can't get anything in or out of my tiny lil shop building at the moment.
    After a lot of ditch digging water seems to be staying out, hopefully it stays that way!

Stogy likes this.
  18. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

We are getting a lot of the rain from the same storms in Oregon. We are better prepared to deal with it, but we are still having mud slides and flooding. The water table is right up to the surface so the ground is soggy.

Stogy likes this.
  19. hope all turns out well for youse guys....my cousin in Sac is hunkered down for the night hoping the flood gates work if needed - I've seen them many a time out there.....

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It must be tough for you all...Loss of life seems to so far have been minimal but that stuff going on is a major disruption for sure...You don't just snap your fingers and its back to normal...thats gonna take time, manpower and money to get back to speed. Thoughts continue to be with you all in the crosshairs.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't even....

It just keeps coming.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  22. I haven't been personally affected by this yet, but Gimpyshotrods is a good friend of mine and is definitely not yanking anyone's chains. All those washouts are for real. Another friend of mine can't even get to his property and cabin in the Santa Cruz mountains because the only road going up to it washed away completely! On the bright side, my house, which was built in 1949, had the frame swell up and now my garage door going into the house actually latches again, so that's pretty cool.

Stogy and stillrunners like this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to pry the side door of the house open with a Pulaski tool, to put the garbage cans out.

Water literally dripped out where the tool squeezed it.

Pocket Nick and Stogy like this.
  24. exterminator

exterminator

Lot of rain was here in the high desert in So Cal which was badly needed and we did unfortunately have a death related to the storm.My old cars stayed in the garage and I stayed in the house(retired). When I hear what happens in the mid and East coast of our great country-I think we have it pretty good!

Stogy and stillrunners like this.
  25. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Thanks for checking on us. Prayers to those who need it!
    So far so good for my little compound. As someone stated above, the lawn is looking great!

stillrunners likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the Anderson Reservoir dam, over-topping (Photo courtesy of SFGate http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...-Dam-spilling-waterfall-spillway-10947314.php):
    [​IMG]
    The Anderson Reservoir holds 29,024,526,123 gallons, and feeds Coyote Creek:
    IMG_20170221_095825.jpg
    Those are my feet. @Pocket Nick can confirm that this is me:
    IMG_20170221_095848.jpg
    That is Coyote Creek behind me. I am standing in the same place as the last picture. The creek bed is lined with stone, and is 3-feet below the ground on the opposite side of the levee.
    This is the gauge marker on the bridge support:
    IMG_20170221_100057.jpg
    For those of you bad at math, the water behind the (only dirt) levee is 10-1/2-feet ABOVE the ground on the other side of the levee!
    IMG_20170221_095911.jpg
    To put that in perspective, I am standing where I took all of these pictures, looking back at SJC-12, the building I work in:
    IMG_20170221_095801.jpg
    Here is the reverse shot. The green horizontal structure is the levee:
    IMG_20170221_095337.jpg
    To the left is another of the 37 buildings that just my company has behind this levee, and between it and the one one-mile to the West, that impounds the Lower Guadalupe River:
    IMG_20170221_100234.jpg

This is no joke, and it has NOT crested yet. If I appear to be offline for a long time, call in the Coast Guard.

My friend Michael is the Lead Flood Management Planner at The California Department of Water Resources. Last time that I saw him, he was sheet white.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    jnaki and jim snow like this.
  27. That spillway scene looks a little freaky. Glad all the dam spillways around here are below my house.

28. jazz1

jazz1

Hopefully the levees hold,,if not the dust bowl could pale to the catastrophe of another manmade disaster. We are not seeing much coverage of this in the north but gimpyshotrods posts are very informative as to how much the US as well as Canada rely on this region of Ca.
    GLTA

29. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

What about keeping the HAMB weather discussion free?

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would have to take that up with a moderator.