Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 FORD COUPSTER!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by STUNNED MULLET, Feb 16, 2017.

1. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

HI All, Just did a little trade for this little lady... about 95% there... needs to be wired, brakes need to be plumbed, some floor work, and some seating, but I am hoping to have this ready by the spring... a LITTLE too high in the rear for me, so that will need to be addressed, and it really needs some wires and black walls for me.. but she is all mine, and I love her!! I have heard pull a few leaves? or get a T Spring..?

Attached Files:

patmanta, wheeldog57, waxhead and 5 others like this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Neat car.
    Great project. I'd change out the brkt setting on top of your pumpkin. Looks like you'd gain 4-5 inches alone before removing any leaves.
    I like those wheels and tires. I wouldnt change that look at all.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - have fun working on the many obvious things that need work

4. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

the last comment makes me nervous... LOL.

5. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

6. oj

oj

I'd be pullin it all apart.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never mind JJ, he is just one of those "safety nuts" that think every car needs shocks, brakes, panhard bar, windshield glass, seats, steering, etc.

8. 24bolt

24bolt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Michigan

It looks like your coupester started life as a Sport Coupe as mine did. Shorter quarter panels, longer doors compared to a true roadster. I traded a set of wires for chromed 16" Kelsey Hayes, so I'd vote to keep what you have, but lose the snowballs.

9. brady1929

brady1929

10. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

X2!

3340 likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Get a '25-'27 T rear spring. ...and your taillights are on upside down...

12. Toqwik

Toqwik

I love coupsters. I could never fit in a roadster, that's why I built one. Wish I could find it and buy it back. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3340 likes this.
  13. Toqwik

Toqwik

I pie cut my windshield posts and leaned them back so it didn't look so awkward. Damn, this makes me miss mine even more.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Break it down and make it yours. Nice start.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  15. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

Good Morning All, thanks for the advice and comments. I am definitely going to break it down somewhat and make it my own design that I have in my head. I REALLY want to keep the rumble seat for the kids, but I just don't like the way it sits in the rear.. I like my roadsters low. and I need the space for the tank, battery, spring/coilovers idea, etc.. I will try to figure a way around it, but I think there is no sacrifice in that department... going to chop the windshield and lean it back for sure. I like the bench seat look over buckets, but once I start messing with it I might change my mind.. want to change out intake and go 3 deuces, and maybe throw some new valve covers on it. and the exhaust needs a change as well. I am going to do all the body work myself. for some reason I see this as a really nice metallic silver, with a Porsche red interior... but I am sure I will change my mind on that a million times!! its coming home tonight, so the fun will begin this weekend. progress pics to follow.

Attached Files:

16. you could get a reversed eye spring to get that rear down some, but that will only get you 1 or 2" you need more. the spring perches may be a little wide, looking at the shackles, but you may want to see how it sits with more weight in the car. (fuel tank, battery etc...)

good luck looks like fun!

17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Nice ride Mullett! Many ways to drop the rear; you can put "spring behind axle" perches. They are found on 35-40 Ford (and later maybe). These perches mount low on the backing plates. This will require either another rear crossmember welded to the existing one or extending the frame back 7.5inches then welding crossmember on extensions. This makes a big difference in height. You could also get a T spring and pull a couple leaves out. Check out some build threads on here, that's where I stole-err-got a lot of my ideas from. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck, Ron 1487356099165.jpg

Nailhead A-V8, burl and CoolYourJets like this.
  18. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

@wheeldog57 Could you post a couple of pics of this (if you have it on your car?) I'd like to put the spring behind's on my ride, but wasn't sure the best way to change that cross member.

19. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

this is kind of the low I am looking for. I just WISH I could keep the rumble seat section!!

Attached Files:

20. Squablow

Squablow

Way longer shackles in the rear along with a reverse spring eye should get a lot of the height eliminated I would think. But the rear suspension arms seem awfully close together, that's an odd design I think.

And were they going to cut a notch out of the firewall sides to clear that "exhaust", or ? I wonder what the overall plan was.

It's got potential for sure, I just wonder about some of the engineering.

21. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

yeah.. I thought of the same thing? that's why those homemade lakesters gots to go... I have one of my buddies coming over this weekend to see what we can do. this is just 1 of the many things on my "to do" list.. need to do brakes lines, wiring, floor, gas pedal, seats, door latches, gauges, steering needs to be mounted on dash area, posts needs to be cut and glass installed, gas tank plumbed and mounted... etc etc etc...

Attached Files:

22. mws

mws
    from Iowa

23. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Now that's a HIGHBOY !!
    P.S. - I think cylinder #8 is going to be a little Loud ??

VR&C.

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Use care where you cut the posts, as they lean back the W/S frames lower rail's radius changes and of course now won't seal with the cowl...
    Notice that '30 -'31 used a flat faced filler panel [between W/S and tank] on most models,
    but the slanted W/S cars had taller filler panels and those [4 models] also had a tapered grove in that filler panel to help match the tilted W/S frame...
    or just get wet once and a while, oh, and maybe fuse the electricals...

25. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I'm running a banjo but you can fab brackets to do same 1487455107745.jpg 1487455126386.jpg 1487455141478.jpg notice frame kicked up and extended to make up the difference from spring over to spring behind

Andrew Mccann likes this.
  26. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

Well folks!! Its home and in the garage... the windshield area is hacked to shit.. its gonna take some work to get it back in order.. needs lots of bracing to get doors to shut correctly. LOTS of bondo where they cut.. oh well... its a project in works.. he gave me some wires. 2 to be exact. Both look like 35 era, but one has me scratching my head with the shape of the hub hole.. anyone know what the heck these are?

Attached Files:

27. dutchrod

dutchrod

Will follow this tread.
    Love the coupesters , was looking for a roadster but didn't like the lack of legroom.
    I also like the look off the longer doors , seems more in proportion to me.
    Hope to be on the road this spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. ratreo

ratreo

[

I have a pair of the roadster windshield repair pieces that I purchased from one of the locals here in the NW. They do a pretty good job of replicating the windshield base area. I bought a complete pair of posts to use on my Tub so I don't need these parts. They could save a lot of time and fabrication. PM me and we can work out a price and get them shipped tomorrow.

29. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

ratreo, I just PM'ed you. thanks a million!

30. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... '28 - '29 sport coupe, coupe rear quarters are a shallow and a little flat around the cockpit combing compared to roadsters... when building a '30 coopster i noticed that the '30 comm. cowl band i took off and laid 90* had almost the exact same radius as the sportie's quarter /tulip panels top edge... if you need to mess with the door beltline / cockpit combing level then the cowl band could work as filler / trim... most '30 -'31s cowl bands are stainless... big trucks were painted steel... if you try this, you will need two !