Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ever found your first vintage build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motion guru, Feb 19, 2017.

1. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

A young 15 year old kid came by today interested in buying a 51 Chevy 5-window pickup that I have had parked in the shed for the last 5 or so years. I was half tempted to just give him the truck and still might. It has a 57 235 and is a runner with recent king pins and working brakes and a granny low transmission. I showed him my photo album of a 49 pickup I had bought when I was 19 and he looked through it and asked me whatever happened to it and I said that I had no idea and just said "daddy issues"

I had a rough relationship with my dad and we never saw eye-to-eye on the truck. It was one of those impulse buys for me and I tore it completely apart, and subframed it not having anyone to ask about how to do it. I torched a hole in the dash and put in a chevelle gauge cluster, a built small block engine and trans-am rear end. I put pleated fabric on the dash, door panels and headliner and was pretty jazzed with the product of my efforts. I remember taking it to Seattle International raceway in 1985 and getting into the high 13's after getting my launch figured out. I spent the better part of 2-1/2 years of evenings and weekends plus a few grand of my mechanics wages putting it together.

I decided to go to college and came up short of cash one semester and borrowed $1500 from my dad. He would only lend me money if I gave him the title to my truck. When the semester ended, I took a job fishing in Alaska for the summer and at the end of the season, I came home and paid my dad off and asked where the truck was parked .."sold it" he said. "I got $4500 for it, do you want to split the profits?"

I wasn't too happy at that point and I don't remember what I even said. I know that he realized he had screwed up because he tried to make it up when I graduated from college a couple of years later by giving me his '84 Buick "T-Type" . . . but it wasn't quite the same. I sold the car and used the money to help make a house payment.

Here is what it looked like in 1985 . . . Imron, med rose metallic + rose metal gray running boards and grille. (By this time, I was 22 and my tastes in old trucks hadn't matured yet)

IMG_0790.JPG

Here is what it looks like today . . . http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/ch...pickup-383-v8-turbo-400-posi-sweet-truck.html

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. We ran across my old 3o Model A pickup in Pigeon Forge a few years ago and I had not see it in close to 30 years but a few thing stood out like the metal ribbed bed cover and the rolled pan under the bed,the dash was unmistakable and the dash was still red.

The rest of the truck was just embarrassing.

Billet wheels,a friggin' wing bolted to the bed cover:eek: and the bench seat was gone and it now had high back bucket seats with Ford sewed into the head rest part,I almost threw up!:eek:

A guy walks up and said he noticed me looking at his truck and starts telling me how he built the truck from a totally original old truck,I just politely listen and told him cool story and made a hasty retreat.

This guy likes it but in my mind the truck had been destroyed and I can't seem to get the ugly thing out of my head. HRP

62hotcat and Moriarity like this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've been close, but no cigar.:(

4. 2935ford

2935ford

One of mine went to Australia and has been sold a few times since getting there and all along the way only a few changes/improvements have been made..........made me feel pretty good that for a first "Hot Rod" build, I guess I did alright.

5. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

Wow . . . I did a little more searching on the web and found that it sold to someone in Pennsylvania named Christian.

Looking at my workmanship from 30 years ago as a kid was kind of scary. Apart from a few cosmetic things and adding a radio - virtually nothing has been changed.

Here's a photo of how a 20 year old mind works on upholstery for the first time . . . LOL
    [​IMG]

versus how it sits today . . . .
    [​IMG]

Dirty engine shot during build . . .
    [​IMG]

Engine bay today . . .
    [​IMG]

I put the entire album here -> https://goo.gl/photos/Ged7f2HZ8sEavyz3A

I developed a love for old GM trucks and focus on GMC's now with period correct souped sixes . . . but this was where it all started and I learned a lot on that truck.

I am stunned at how little the truck has changed - whoever owned it after me added a radio and upgraded the ignition system and put a different radiator in it - but nothing was done to the interior or drivetrain, wiring, or engine other than dress up parts.

That motor was build by Dick Ewing from Auburn Washington - it was a nice running mill.

jchav62 likes this.
  6. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I came across my '30 Model A Coupe for sale about a year ago. It was the first hot rod I ever built. First car I ever painted. First car I drag raced. First car I won a show with. yada yada yada. I sold it in 2002 and it has remained virtually unchanged. I was asked by several guys "are you going to buy it back?" Simple answer....NOPE. Been there, done that.

7. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is was at the local NHRA strip in 2000

[​IMG]

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

My first car was a 1926 T Tudor I bought on my 16 birthday, $220.00 delivered. It was rough and over the next 3-4 years I replaced enough parts to wind up with a 1927 T Touring car. Sold it to buy a twin cam Green sprint car. I always thought the guy that bought it finished the restoration, but it turned up on eBay. The guy I sold it to died, and the new owner was parting the car out, not much had been done in the 40 years since I sold it. Thought about buying back what was left but passed on it. a HAMB member bought the body and put it on an A chassis and raced it at TROG a few years ago, I was happy to see that. Bob

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

This was my first car... a 56 Dodge, back in 64.
    Dodge1.jpg
    I sold it in the late 60's to a young guy, and didn't see it again for months.
    Me and some of my buddies were driving down to Salt Lake City to see Blind Faith play, and this blue thing passed us on the hiway. It was my old car. The ass end was all crumpled up and there was a HUGE dent in the driver side door.... Oh well.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  10. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

My first car was my 65 Satellite in my avatar. I bought it when I was 18 and had it for 35 yrs. Unfortunately I had to sell it. I probably wont see it again as it went to New York. I have been in touch with the guy that bought it and he loves it and is planning a complete redo. I am kinda glad I wont see it as I think sellers remorse would set in or I would see it all screwed up.

11. wicarnut

wicarnut

Been looking at T- Buckets for years at shows looking for mine that I built in 66/67, sold it as a roller, needed the $$$ to pay for first child's birth and Dr. bill. I loosely followed a Magazine build, but made enough stuff unique to my thoughts/design that I should be able to recognize frame/suspension, but who knows where and what happens down the road when you sell. All us Old Timers say, should have kept "that one" but keeping and storing for years never entered my mind, Always needed the $$$ for the next one.

12. Last Hoorah

Last Hoorah

Been looking for my first build for a few years without any results. Sold my "40" to a local guy then I found out he traded it for a 34 to Vanguard motor sales in Michigan. Called Vanguard but they wouldn't tell me where it went. Picture is from Vanguard when they had it for sale. 40.jpg

13. Yeah, I found mine through the Hamb. HRP posted some photos of a coupe he had with a hideous dash and I knew it was my old car I had back in 75' or so. I was lucky to be able to but it back. (8)My old 32 coupe before I bought it back.jpg

14. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I had a 1960 Thunderbird convertible when I was 27 (my first car project that I completed bare-bones)....aqua and white interior...I put a lot of time, money, and effort into that car because I ALWAYS liked the square-birds...I had to move rather suddenly for work in the Northwest, and sold it to a fellow I met a few times who always wanted to buy it. I simply couldn't take care of it properly at that time in my life, where work was so long distance and lengthy. When I came back from Alaska 9 months later, I saw my Thunderbird in the local junk yard as I drove by, glancing over to ''see what's inside'' as an interest, ...the car was lying up on the left side at a 45 degree angle, with the right side completely demolished, and the right front fender trapping the engine inside the hood, door bashed in, and the frame twisted.

Man, that one hurt!!!...........in less than a year, ''my'' car was completely totaled, and I remember standing and looking at it from outside the fence-line, almost breaking out in tears....I took my mom for a ride in it the very first cruise on the pavement in it...she loved that car, and I admit, sometimes it's "just hard'' to see your first car ya' put your heart and soul into....wish I'd not seen it after I sold it!!!....it still leaves me shaking my head in remorse.:(

15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

This hits close to home. I missed mine by 20 minutes on craigslist a few years ago. 55 1st series, built in the mid 80s also. In the craigs photos it was apart, but completely unchanged from when I sold it... Title was still in my name when I called on it. Seller was real nice, and genuinely seemed upset that I had missed it, but the new buyer was loading it up. He wouldn't even talk to me. :(:(

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry that didn't work out, I had a '55 1st Series too, would love to have it back again. Bob

17. BJR

BJR

When I was 17 in 1967 I started on a 1934 Ford 4 dr sedan. I put the 303 cu in engine from my dads rusted 53 Olds with a Cad LaSalle side shift trans and an Olds rear end. I used Hurst front mounts and a hurst floor shifter. Since the roof insert was gone I bought a sheet of blue Plexiglas and put that in the roof with the wood bows sanded and varnished. I sold it in about 1970 and bought a 63 Catalina 389 4 speed so I had a car I could go on dates with in the winter. I started looking for it 3 years ago at Back to the 50's. I started looking at all the 34 4drs I could find there. The 4th one I stopped to look at had a Plexiglas roof in it. I looked up the owner and found out he bought it in 1971 and kept it in a shed all these years. He sold some property and his wife told him to spend the money and pay someone to fix his old ford. It was perfectly done but not the way I built it. SBC, Jag rear, IFS up front, but still it was my old car. He said it was the first time out with the car since he had bought it and took it apart all those years ago. The planets must of aligned that day for me to find it on it's first time out in over 45 years.

Studius and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  18. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

Sold in 1983, after 17 years, 2 builds, prior to 1 800 cars, finished 21st over all in 1981 Autorama, Sold to a Honda dealer in Sacramento Ca, 1983 the last day that I saw it. Curious to where it's at, I'm sure there has been changes made. I know the ribbons on the aprons were removed and a cloth top was installed. 327 SBC, 350 turbo, Corvette rear. Corvette yellow color IMG_0020.jpg

19. Blake Higley

Blake Higley

I was about 12, driveing dads 41 chev pickup around the farm helping out. Neighbor had a '39 with broken drive shaft sitting in the weeds, if i helped him out for a week or so it was mine. Got it home used dads old motors manual to tear apart the rear end and replace the enclosed driveline and used it around the farm for a few years until i broke the driveline again. By then i was approaching driveing age and wanted something more and worked for a guy a whole summer and made $300 and bought a 56 chev i drove all through high school and collage, the 39 sat in dads yard the whole time. Then one day he needed a motor for his old feed truck and appropriated the one out of my 39. As time went by he was cleaning out the yard and gave it to another neighbor who collected any thing old. I know where it is, the guy died and his widow wont part with anything, hope to get it back before the rust devil eats it

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF6922.JPG Riley 4Port was the only project I ever finished way back in 1975, it is some were in California now, sure would like to know were. Bob

21. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Still have the first....bought it in 76, drove it the first time in 80.....been tooling around ever since....not for sale either!

Attached Files:

22. squirrel

squirrel

The truck I started working on when I was 15 is sitting in my garage, 40 years later. I got lucky.

But I do wonder what happened to the 61 Chevy ragtop that I worked on before that. I sold it around 1985 to a local guy, who sold it to someone in Phoenix. I heard it got restored.

Oh wait...we have google now...and I have an old registration slip. Let's see what happens.

how about that!

https://claz.org/classifieds/view/1961-chevy-impala-convertible-348-tri-power-dm2idccom

It apparently has a 348 in it now. Was originally a 283 2bbl, the first engine I ever overhauled.

[​IMG]

thanks for asking! now I know

edit: a couple more pics

61reg.jpg 61chevy front.jpg

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Rare unmolested Los Angeles, California factory ordered weekend warrior setup" funny how that happens. o_O

Hope the new buyer does a little research.

squirrel and motion guru like this.
  24. 1pickup

1pickup

25. 51Olds88A

51Olds88A

My .02 - give the kid the truck. An old timer helped me out when I was 14 years old and trying to build the '51 Olds that I drove to high school and still own today (30 years later) along with several other classics and hot rods. It fueled a life long passion, and I'm forever grateful to that guy. Better yet, give him advice on the build after you give it to him!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Studius and motion guru like this.
  26. metalman

metalman

Found my first "old car", a 56 Vicky sitting in a wrecking yard, looked to of had a bit of a hard life, the 390 that was swapped into it was gone but the black tuck and roll interior I was so proud of was intact and looked pretty good. Wrecking yard would sell it but wanted more then it was worth even with the emotional value added so I passed.
    My first real "hot rod", a 37 Chevy coupe is sitting in a buddy's shop all torn apart, been that way for years. Still has some remains of my candy blue lacquer paint on it. I keep asking, he keeps telling me no, not for sale. Probably a good thing.
    I did manage to accidentally buy back one of my first old cars, a stillborn 57 Chevy project I sold before I ever drove it. Years later I was buying another 57, the seller told me it had a title but it hadn't been transferred threw several owners. I was shocked when I saw my name on the title, car had changed so much I didn't recognize it. Never did drive that car.

motion guru likes this.