Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford SB roller-cam- cool looking ignition?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58Fridge100, Feb 19, 2017.

1. I just picked up a new motor for my '58--an early 90's 5.0 'Stang GT ( roller cam) motor. Looking for some advice for a full electronic ignition setup that will look like an early 60's 260/289, but have a nice hot spark.

Can I just buy an old Autolite distibutor from ebay, and outfit it with a Pertronix unit, and a steel gear for the roller cam? is there anything that I'm missing?

(The Ford Duraspark or ebay "HEI" distributors are out of the question so far-- would like something closer in appearance to the old points type distributor, without having to let go of a full $400 for an MSD setup.)

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. Use the non-EFI Duraspark, just remove the adaptor for the large cap and run the 'standard' cap; the Duraspark shares the same housing with the older points distributor. You will need to change the distributor gear to steel for the roller cam.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

How about a vintage Mallory with Pertronix and the right gear.

4. I was wondering that also- so that pertronix will just need a coil?

5. Great! So I will then need a coil, and a module ( brain box) for that setup? Thanks

6. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Get one for an '85 Mustang with the H.O. engine. It had the steel gear for the roller cam and was regular Duraspark ignition used with a carb.

The Duraspark distributor can be run with a factory, aftermarket or even a GM HEI module.

If you're starting from scratch, a hybrid system may be the way to go. Duraspark distributor, HEI module, and later TFI coil. The TFI coil is ugly, but it runs on a full 12 volts with no resistor for a hotter spark. The HEI module will handle the full 12 volt switching. You'll need to mount the module on a heat sink with good thermal paste.

hybrid ign.jpg

Another option is using a points distributor to trigger a TFI module and coil.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tfi-using-points-how-to.374699/

jw179251 likes this.
  7. That's the setup I am looking for! Thank you

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Pertronix has units fot Mallory 25 26 YD YL 8 cylinder distributors you will just need a coil. Mallory dual points units scream old hot rod.

9. Sweet. Ok, so i just ordered a Cardone #30-2831: Remanufactured 70's style Duraspark distributor, has a vacuum canister- AND the steel drive gear ($50 from the 'Zone, no core charge). All that's needed now is an HEI module and a $35 coil. Fantabulous.

10. I really dig that option- with a chrome cylindrical coil, and the red anodized "Mallory" tag right up front on the distributor housing.

....it's more of a "shop truck" at this point

11. saltracer219

saltracer219

Make sure you have the advance curve taylored to your engine. Most of those generic rebuilds come with a real questionable mechanical advance curve.

12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Dura Spark with cap adapter removed and GM HEI brain is the answer . Early distributer shafts and a bit smaller diameter that later distributer shaft diameter . You will need aftermarket gear or shim to correct shaft size . It will work better than any aftermarket ign. Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. VTjunk

VTjunk

On a few customers cars I've had to modify dome right out of the box. Had one car come in with 8 degrees initial, 54 total.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Thanks for the help/input everyone. very helpful

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a D 100_7123.JPG uraspark system on the 351 in my 55 and to the untrained eye looks like a points system,I hid the module under the battery.

16. Beautiful

17. Is there a reason to use a TFI coil, over an MSD "blaster" type coil?

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am not using a resistor on the Duraspark on my 55 and has been that way for 10 years.

19. I Picked up a cardone reman Motorcraft distributor with durapsark internals and a steel gear. Still no module or coil. The cap/rotor is for a '70 mustang. Still need non-EFI pulleys, fan, etc.

IMAG0692.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017