Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects United Pacific 5W Deuce Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groovy, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Groovy

Groovy

I've started the build on the project... Roof will be chopped about 3.5" - 4". Trunk lid has been louvered. So-Cal chassis has been sand blasted, filled and epoxy primed along with bobbing the rear frame rail to accommodate a custom made roll pan.

A 350/290hp crate motor and new Tremec TKO600 and Currie 9" rear with 3.23 gears will be installed. It will ride on a traditional '32 drop axle and buggy spring rear. Brake and fuel lines have been bent up and test fitted.

A fuel tank from Tanks inc. was purchased and just recently a set of Speedway aluminum bomber sets have been picked up.

The car will follow the lines of a traditional Bonneville flats racer from the '50s...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    mgtstumpy, brEad, kiwijeff and 9 others like this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO...that thing is nice ... without a chop...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  3. Kinda got crazy posting photo's,huh?
    Since you left your profile black where are you from?
    HRP

1927graham likes this.
  4. Groovy

Groovy

I wanted fuel economy so I went with the highway gears as I plan to do more highway driving to far away locations and meets. Small block chevys are not at all good on gas even under the best conditions. It is not practical to drive fast and crazy in my city as the roads are in deplorable condition so I knew I wouldn't mind the gearing.

lodaddyo and Atwater Mike like this.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Looks like a cool build.....I like all kinds of build threads. Keep us up to date.

bct and Kan Kustom like this.
  6. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

Good for you, build it the way you want and just ignore all of the negative people. If they want to give you money to help pay for it or come and help you work on it, then you might listen to what they have to say, otherwise do it your way, it's your car.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm in.
    Along with my fiberglass, 1-800, belly button, not one original Ford part on it, street rod.
    OK, my 9 inch rearend housing is Henry steel from 1957.
    Maybe you can find some 1932 issue air for your tires, that'll shut em up.
    Gonna be nice, keep the build photos coming.

flynbrian48, brEad, kiwijeff and 6 others like this.
  8. it will be a great car and i understand in this day and age, on the hamb, some of the "traditional" get's diluted with new parts/pieces/processes but at some point the glass ends up, no gin, just tonic......

9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Except for the engine , you're building what my son wants. He doesn't have the coin for the parts thus far , but I'll check in on your progress now and then.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. clem

clem

Welcome to the HAMB
    Thanks for starting a thread on your build.
    Love your positive attitude.
    Will be inspiring to all, to build a traditional car with mostly/all new parts.

Kan Kustom, LOU WELLS and seabeecmc like this.
  11. Xman

Xman

I've built Glass body cars and Henry body cars like my current 34 and have a hell of a lot of fun with them all. Is there another reason to do this?

12. swifty

swifty

How good is the body groovy? If it's anything like mine then your bodywork skills will be needed mainly due to poor assembly. The panels are good but the assembly of them isn't.

13. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Ok, here's a warning coming. I'm finding and deleting more and more political posts.
    The HAMB is and will be politics free.
    Please stick to it and talk about what really makes America and the world great, HOT RODS.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dirt t, flynbrian48, brEad and 8 others like this.
  14. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

I'm having Steadfast build me a 5 window that I started a thread on but maybe I shouldn't post anymore about it cause it's getting a new winters quick change and some pete and jakes parts on it. Sure don't want to piss anyone off for using new parts.

15. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

My opinion on the build should not matter, BUT REALLY, No parts locally. How hard did you look, not to mention the classifieds here. Granted 32 parts are not common or cheap, but they are every where if you look. Even a couple real door handles, lights, etc. Look (and maybe even find) some local parts and you will find some locals to help guide and support your build.
    Good luck and keep posting updates.

clem likes this.
  16. dutchrod

dutchrod

Groovy just build it like you want , it's your car.
    Over here it is nearly impossible to get a car titled when build with new parts so we have to work with old parts which are not that common over here.
    If i had the money and registration was easy i would go the same route, in the end we all just want to have fun building and driving a hot rod

brEad and murpa like this.
  17. Pete

Pete

yea man, build it and have fun.

Cuz if there was a house cleaning of non traditional cars here on the HAMB .. half the traditional preachers would be booted.

If I had the loot, I'd buy one of them there 5 windows,,,, but I don't and I can't so I'm building mine from "aged" parts.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that Pete

19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Welcome to the Hamb. Look forward to seeing your build come together.

20. metalman

metalman

Can't saw I didn't warn you. I don't understand why some guys are down on anyone building a car from new parts. If they prefer vintage, fine, but why would they care what you want to build. I guess they think there should be no aftermarket parts? Can you imagine how expensive our hobby would be if there was no aftermarket, original 32 5 window bodies would be priced out of reach of almost everyone.

21. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Groovy,looks like you have built some nice cars but this one is gonna be great.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got to agree with Pete, If I had the coin I'd have a garage with a project with a new body and new frame and be grinning from ear to ear.
    As I see it it's the rest of the pieces you put on it that count for it being accepted here or not. Proper traditional pieces on the outside of the engine. Appropriate traditional style wheels and tires, Interior that carries a traditional theme.
    No billet, no 2017 trick of the week paint. no 12 inch wide tires on the front.

GeeRam likes this.
  23. And if it were members, as opposed to just preachers, it would be closer to 90%!

wbrw32 likes this.
  24. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Are you catching hell for using new rust free clean parts that are not bent up ! Well that's rough they might just need some butt hurt cream ! lol

slimcat7m3 and LOU WELLS like this.
  25. Manager

Manager

Damb, I really wanted to see what the UPAC body was like now. I have been so close to buying one but the bad reports about the earlier ones have made me gunshy. Now he's been scared off.

26. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pete, I agree 100% ! Also the proper term for aged parts is seasoned.:) Groovy, build it the way you want, I am.

i.rant likes this.
  27. Hendee

Hendee

Build-on Groovy. You've already experienced some unhelpful comments, and fortunately some that are more representative of what you will get from 95% of the HAMB. IMO many guys here will give great advice, ideas, help, etc. I always like watching another '32-5w going together, so I'm subscribed.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Henry steel or United Pacific.
    I'd bet 90% of them would not know the difference.

29. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Let us not forget the 2016 AMBR Award went to this awesome Roadster (that most of us here just raved over!) and it has an all steel Brookville body like my two 1932 Fords!! Article: http://autoweek.com/article/classic-cars/hollenbecks-32-guacamole-green-wins-roadster-show
    Also how many so called original 32's have at least some Brookville parts? Quite a few. I've watched many guys walk up to my 32's and peck them with their fingernail and whisper...original? Anymore I just smile.....

My Blog: https://ontheroadtonowhereville.wordpress.com/

High Noon Speed Shop - Baltic, Ohio

ls1yj likes this.
  30. Pete

Pete

Please please please continue to post pics, I'm really curious to see the body and the details of it.
    i used upac rear quarters on my '32 build, they were priced right, the quality was there and they saved me months and months of rusty repair time.

HemiDeuce and Flowmeister like this.