Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest POST or HARDTOP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Kaiser Vagabond ( though still not a tri five, I guess)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. There ya go.
    50's GM hardtops had a bunch of chrome trim inside..Ford, not so much.
    Always wondered why, seeing they were in competition at the time.

3. Hmm...Ginger or Mary Ann?

It depends on the car, of course, but if I were to generalize, I like the sleeker, cleaner body lines of a hardtop. That being said, a post car can have that all business, "I'm here to kick your ass" look.

I like 'em both for different reasons.

57Custom300, clunker and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. The thread wasn't specifically about Chevys and Fords but hardtops and post cars mainly from the late 40's through the 50's but I don't have any problem with any pre 65 cars. HRP

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    biggeorge and Moriarity like this.
  5. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Post on almost every car for me. Sturdier, less leaks, less rattles, looks meaner.

The only cars i like hardtops better on are tri fives, 59-60 GM cars, and any four door. Four door sedans just aren't nearly as cool as four door hardtops

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I tend to agree but a '56 Crown Vic really looks sweet.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

clean, neatly pressed peppermint shirt=tri-five HT. I have always been more the greasy isky t-shirt type.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    clunker and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Like I said at the start, it depends on the car. I have two '65 Falcon hard-tops, that mid-sixties ford "fastback" (yes, that's what they called it when it was new) that first appeared on the '63 1/2 Galaxie, then on the '64/'65 Falcon Comet HT's is one of the best of the era.
    8507.jpg 65891_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg 14684628087_0856099bc5.jpg
    64Gal390.jpg
    The GM bubbletop is another beaut. But tri-5's, sedans all the way.

henryj1951, Blues4U, clunker and 2 others like this.
  9. It also helped that by the later hardtops, the OEMs had engineered them better and 'flippers' and floppy windows disappeared...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

OK, this maybe was a slight fib.
    In the 57 Chevy lineup, the 150 2 door sedan and wagon always got my attention, still does. Especially when one that I had seen around over the years then dissapeared and out of the blue shows up (of all places) parked in front of my house.....whole nuther story.
    20160628_175619.jpg

11. Swede64

Swede64

Post on almost all cars . They just look meaner.

RaginPin3Appl3 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You know, I hadn't really thought about it till now, but with the exception of the GM bubble-tops, just about every bodystyle I can think of where I prefer the HT to the post are either off-topic, or right on the edge of the dividing line.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. cb186

cb186

Hardtop for most. Some post cars are better, like Chevy 210's. In my 52 Ford body era, I think posts are much less appealing.

14. Someone mentioned factory chopped . Most hardtops had a lower roof line. Makes them look sleeker and less stodgy . This included the 62-65 Chevy II's .(1" lower roof.) I can say 62-65 Chevy II here, right? ;-)

15. Post for a 55 or 6. My 57 is a hardtop and I wouldn't have it any other way. 53 Studes I think are about the only car that is cool regardless of post or hardtop. I would absolutely kill for the 'right' 61-2 Impala or 64 Malibu/Beaumont four door hardtop for a daily, squeaks and rattles be damned.

16. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Tri 5 with skirts and/or continental kit is best on the sleek hardtop IMO.

mr57 likes this.
  17. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

It really all depends on the car. I always prefer the look of a hardtop.

On average, how much heavier is a hardtop car vs a sedan, when we're talking the same model?

And why?

Reinforcement?

To me, looks wise, the sedan "looks" heavier.

18. Hardtops were always preferred by the locals when I was in highschool. They just look better with the windows rolled down, no post.

I like the '56 Vicky (not the crown) but the post car weighs less. I just prefer the hard top or prefer the '56 Ford hard top over the post car. But the '57 Ford in my eyes either one is good for me.

19. BJR

BJR

With tri five Buick's, the hardtops all had radiused rear wheel wells, the posts didn't. My vote goes for the hardtops.

20. Jibs

Jibs

21. robracer1

robracer1

A hard top with electric windows only or a post with manual windows!

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Similarly, the 58 impala only came as a hard top and had a lower roof line than the belair, biscayne and delray. The belair hardtop looks dorky in comparison to the post because of the higher roof line.

23. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

The posts had radiused wells too.

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

25. squirrel

squirrel

Hardtops look better. But post cars look more like race cars.

upspirate likes this.
  26. wheelguy

wheelguy

My 55 "POST" for me.
    Actually, post for some cars, hard top for some others > depends on the lines of the car and look you want. I'm thinking about raising it up several inches and a wheel change >what do you think???? OL YELLER 55 001.JPG

henryj1951 and olscrounger like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

So nice as is.
    Curious as to your wheel choices if you were to change them?

28. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

LOL, this is a never ending discussion for my dad and I. Of course dad was a teenager in the 50's so he is obviously biased and that is somewhat due to what was popular back then so I understand and don't pick at him too much. He has always said nothing but a hardtop for him in a 55 Chevy and that he would not own a 55 Chevy sedan. However, I have always been fond of both versions. I used to own a 55 hardtop and now this is my current sedan build and love both cars. In keeping the peace in the workshop, dad has finally changed his tune on the sedans after seeing this latest one I am building. Although, nothing looks better than a hot rodded post. Somehow to me the hardtops just don't fit the mold as race cars. For street cruisers, I would say either version suites my taste. I would also say as weird as this may sound, color combinations often play a big role in this decision for me. Turquoise & White or Red & White always seem to crave a hardtop but not so much in a sedan. I find that the solid colors always look best in a sedan version (except black of course, solid black is killer on anything) but that's just my viewpoint. I guess like most everything in life it boils down to ones own personal preference.

[​IMG]

29. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I agree with it depends on the car. I've got one of each. 57 2dr. post and a 61 Starliner. Both are the best looking cars of their years IMO. The 4dr hardtops no matter what make, model or year are just plane cool. Especially the wagons.

falcongeorge likes this.
  30. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

That's a fine looking car the way it sits, I could see Torque Thrusts D's as an option though.;)