Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Rarest Ride on the Road...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Rarest Ride on the Road...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. jroberts

jroberts

Rare indeed! Kudos to the guys driving down the road. When I was a kid my dad had a friend who bought a new 1960 Edsel 2 door hardtop. Within a few weeks after the purchase the death of the brand was officially announced and he got a check from Ford as a way to limit the loss of the value of his car due to the end of production. Too bad. I love the '60 Fords, but the Edsel even better.

Gabe Fernando, Spooky and flyin-t like this.
  3. Spooky

Spooky

One of my favourite cars, really.

Gabe Fernando and Surfcityrocker like this.
  4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I've always thought those looked great, maybe it's because the front end reminds me of the 1959 Pontiacs.

5. catdad49

catdad49

It's starting to grow on me. A little dechroming and panel paint are calling, it even comes with skirts and 3 bar spinners!

6. Thanks for posting !

Indeed a very very rare cool looking car ....

Reminds me of a fully optioned 1960 Dodge Polara I transported a few years ago.

Jim

1960 Polara.jpg

Stogy, rjones35, quick85 and 6 others like this.
  7. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

A little dechroming and it will look like a 1960 Fairlane 500. That was the best looking post war Ford, which is beyond dispute.

8. What a beautiful and elegant car, it's a pity they were discontinued.
    This is rarer than many Ferraris and other high end classics.

9. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I have always been a fan of the 1960 Edsel.....bummer the company couldn't proceed a few more years with this design....pretty sweet in my opinion.

10. belair

belair

Those skits kill.

11. Bluedot

Bluedot

My grandson has a '61 Comet, and I noticed the similarity of taillights with the '60 Edsel. (Tho Comet lights are in slanted "cat's eyes" position.) Later I learned that actually for the first 2 years of Comet, they were not a Mercury brand, but rather Edsel. Mercury took on the line from '62 forward. I'm thinking that after the real Edsel died, they had a surplus of pre-assembly taillights, and they ended up on the Comets. That's just a theory - would love to hear if someone actually knows.

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I know I'll catch flak for this, but I don't care how rare they are, they were a embarrassment for Ford and they are still ugly. Just MHO!

302GMC likes this.
  13. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Since my first car was a 58 Merc two door hardtop I have a soft spot for these cars.

14. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

Those 58 Mercurys are pretty weird looking. I recently went to look at a 58 Monterey [​IMG]convertible very rare but what a strange looking car [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

So if there were less than three hundred wagons made in 60, by 68 there were probably less than thirty and by 78 probably less than ten. Almost certain the rarest thing actually driving on the road in real time. Great spotting!

16. Very cool looking wagon. I do suspect my '57 dodge sierra wagon with d500 option is pretty low production. (D500 is the hemi and suspension option)

17. [​IMG]They're cool in a wagon sorta way.

waylow64bird and biggeorge like this.
  18. [​IMG]
    Yes, the split grille looks kinda poncho.

waylow64bird and biggeorge like this.
  19. rare????

anything that I have finished

cretin likes this.
  20. 1929rats

1929rats

grille looks like half poncho, half Chrysler imperial.....that 2 door Edsel....wow! Love the long roofs and never seen such an animal

21. Edsels have always been cool, I think they look better than a fair few of the 50's 60's Chryslers, or atleast on par. But hey, y'know what they say about opinions!

22. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

There was an "Ethel" 2 door wagon at the Columbus Ford swap for sale this fall. Looked real solid too. Dead rare.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. choptop40

choptop40

Late fifties there was a lot of drugs inspiring the movement....I'm sure...

24. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I sort of dig all those garish styles from the late 50's to 60. I think after 60 the makers started toning it down a bit. But those years, 58, 59 & 60 some models were over the top.

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  25. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

You might have started something here. It's probably impossible to find many 'survivors'. If any. Barrett-Jackson, Pebble Beach in years to come maybe? You never know. I always liked them. I was 16 in 1960 and clearly remember the 'hub-bub' about the Edsel at this time.
    I think a whole lot of people liked them more than they wanted to admit. Seems like when something is 'different' a lot of people will run and hide (fear of rejection) rather than expose their true feelings to everyone else. Just like today. Just my '73 year old take on this.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    37coupeute likes this.
  26. Rem

Rem

Definitely the best looking of the Edsels. Is that two-door wagon the 6-passenger model?

27. stokr556

stokr556

watch and wonder ;)

Here is edsel 1960 station wagon (60E58SW) my good friend and renovator Darek Haumer from Czech Republic, Europe.
    He has a lot of great frame-off projects.

http://www.restorations.cz/?page_id=5

28. j3harleys

j3harleys

Man that's a trailer full.

29. Kudos to anyone using an old car as a daily driver. I just saw a guy on my street a couple weeks ago driving a '64 Olds 98 in a snowstorm. Of course, I had to chase after him and take a picture when he pulled into an apartment at the end of my street.

30. 32n343windows

32n343windows

Rare??? Nick Mason takes his 250 GTO out on a regular basis.....