Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Disc brake conversions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jeffs64cat, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

Thinking about my first upgrade of Pontiac. Looking for the best bang for my buck like most of us budget minded people are.

I want to do it right the first time but with a budget there's a lot some searching to be done and I don't know where to start. Of course there's always eBay.

Don't know if I should do a four wheel conversion or just a front one. I do know I want to get away from the single line master cylinder and a new booster cause this car has a serious brake fade.

So any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. mustangsix

mustangsix

Front only is enough to stop the car well. That's where most of the braking force is generated.

jeffs64cat likes this.
  3. Contact E.C.I. brakes in Vernon, Ct. Ask for Ralph. He makes quality products that fit, and work, the first time.

bct and jeffs64cat like this.
  4. belair

belair

Front only is plenty. Unless you put in a Chevy. Then 4 wheel discs. :p. Nice Cat.

jeffs64cat likes this.

5. jeffs64cat likes this.
  6. dave plmley

dave plmley

I've used Scarebird brackets several times, quality is very good, instructions and parts list of items needed is adequate.

jeffs64cat likes this.
  7. I know on some cars he now has complete kits and I've seen him over on eBay too.

jeffs64cat likes this.
  8. If you can find junkyard parts, you will always come out ahead vs buying a kit. You might need to resurface the rotors, but that would be cheaper than new in most cases. Brake lines you can bend yourself master cylinder can be any disc/drum type that has a similar bolt pattern to factory.

jeffs64cat likes this.
  9. topher5150

topher5150

Speedway Motors has some pretty decent priced kits

jeffs64cat likes this.
  10. Scott

Scott

I have used ECI and PerformanceOnLine stuff. Happy with both.

jeffs64cat likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been using Scarebird stuff you many years. My daily driver included.

Well engineered, welded, and plated brackets, all else off-the-shelf OEM stuff.

Cheap, and easily serviceable. No premium package markup. You source the parts.

jeffs64cat and bobss396 like this.
  12. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

I've been checking out the scare bird products but with that I'd have to change rim sizes.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will, with most of them.

14. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did a conversion on my buddy's 56 Chevrolet that fit the 14" rims. Smaller rotors and calipers. Probably better than the drums, but if you're driving down a mountain or towing, think about changing the rims. I don't know if they show Pontiac with small rims. Scarebird is local to me, pretty well regarded up here. You do more work, and save money.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/

jeffs64cat likes this.
  15. There are factory GM 14" wheels for disc brakes, but the $64k question is will the Poncho wheel covers fit them. Look at disc brake '70 Chevelles and up, Novas also had them. The only place I know that may have them is the boneyards.

jeffs64cat likes this.
  16. j47chev

j47chev

Scare bird is good I just did a front conversion on my 56 Mercury

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jeffs64cat likes this.
  17. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

This is going to be harder than I expected. Eci and Pol don't make a kit for a (B body). Scare bird don't work with 5x4.75 wheels. Only place I found is MP brakes and I have to go with larger wheels.

18. j47chev

j47chev

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. did a CPP power brake upgrade on my 60 Chevy Sedan Delivery... the car had a nice 79 Camaro front clip to the car added.. had all the 79 Camaro brake stuff, dual stage master cylinder... Replaced the 20 + year old calipers with new ones ... rotors & etc... The CPP power brake upgrade really helped with the stopping power... kit was priced right... had a 62 Bonneville Wagon... may try Ames Performance, Pontiac guys

jeffs64cat likes this.
  20. jeffs64cat

jeffs64cat

After must thought I've decided to leave the drums on the car and just upgrade the booster and one line master cylinder. I mean the drums work great on the car now. Just have a leaking rear seal on the master. I'm not a speed demon like when I was a younger man. Just want the motor to have a aggressive sounds.

21. BJR

BJR

Find some factory 8 lug aluminum drums. Next best thing to disc brakes.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I remember correctly, that has a 1" bore master cylinder. If it has no booster, and you are adding one, you can step that up to 1-1/8".

Better to have too much brake and not use them, than not enough, and need them.

23. CamSweet

CamSweet

You can buy aftermarket brackets cheap and do a little machining to your existing spindles. Stuffed calipers and rotors from the parts house and you're about 90% there..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I also say get 8-lugs set-up also and rebuild your entire system, convert to dual master and skip the disc-brakes. I don't think they are any better than the standard GP drums brakes, but they sure are bitchin'!!