Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Southern Employment Special, Insanity101

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I thought about that as I left, I'd be surprised if it doesn't pull the front wheels very easily.

With the stance different and the rest of the stuff on the car hopefully it stays down longer than a Shriner car

2. It should be alright. With it slightly down in the snout and the ladder bars adjusted properly it should just skim the fronts on a hard launch. That is the plan anyway. :D

loudbang likes this.
  3. Model T1

Model T1

Beaner would that be a BUG EYED SPRITE? Like Austin Healey Sprite!
    Somewhere around 1965 or '66 I had a 1960 Sprite. I had a "pro"???? rebuild the little 4-banger twice. Finally said poop. A high school buddy had a 1956 T-bird he'd just pulled a good running 327 Chevy with 2-4's out of. He had one of them new fangled GM small blocks in it by then.
    I reworked that poor little Sprite frame and dropped the 327 and Powerglide in it. The 2-4's loaded up so I swapped to 3-twos. That little car was fun to drive but with the stock running gear and rear I was skeered to get on it. Traded for a 1933 Chevy 4-door.
    That's my Sprite story so there!
    Read that you are gong in yourself for a rebuild. Good luck. That Model A ain't gonna finish itself.

4. LOL I typed SPRINT when I meant Sprite. Yes one in the same.

I had a 2x4 301 that I had built and a 4 speed (probably a Sag) in my shed waiting for a new owner/body. A friend had the Sprite. We used a 10 bolt Chevy II rear and I mounted the engine high for weight transfer (guess 24" crank center or there about), high enough that my buddies dad made blisters to cover the rocker covers. Stock front suspension. The kid actually drove it, but when you nailed it; it was Katy bar the door.

If you look you will notice that I have mounted the block pretty deep (low) between the frame rails in my A. When I am done I should come up with a 16"-18" crank center. That is by design not by accident. The idea is to help control lift on launch. I still may have to pin strip my pan. :eek: LOL :rolleyes::D It is an effort to make it stand up and cut a straight line. someone once said if you can't make your engine run 10s make your chassis run 10s. ;)

By the way the overhaul is going fine. I am on the mend. Just like any old heap, the deeper we got in there the more we found screwed up but I have a good mechanic in my pit, everything is repaired and now it is just a matter of getting everything dialed in. That will take some time but we'll get it right. ;)

thanks for asking, while I'm at it a few have contacted me and I do really appreciate it. :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  5. PB, glad to hear you're on the mend!
    Oh, and I like the direction of your build.

Steve

6. Moatc

Moatc
    from Kc,Mo

Looks good. If u need any parts or want to sell those wheels let me know.

7. I'll keep you posted, he check your PMs when you think about it.

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

Hey Benno, thanks for sending me the link to your build thread. Hopefully you're well progressed on your own mend now and itching to get back at it in your garage.
    When you showed me your car last year, I wasn't quite grasping exactly how radical you're going on the engine setback, but as it's gunna be your bad weather driver, at least your toes will be warm as you're skating through the snow.
    Subscribed now and looking forward to updates when you are able to.
    Take care mate and have a ball.
    Graeme

loudbang likes this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

IMG_4637.JPG Man I can't take this guy anywhere haha

10. That looks like Beano! HRP

11. LOLI sent this to missus beaner and she just said, "Husband!!! :D :D :D"

loudbang and Tim like this.
  12. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Is this what you saw?[​IMG]

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well since everybody was talking about wanting to spend a weekend with Beaner I headed to his place to see what happened. One more guy stopped by for a bit but that was it.

Seeing as the crowd wasn't huge we started building new subrails to channel the car and brace it to pull the body and get into the chassis seriously this summer.

Didn't take any photos but once we have some before and after shots I'll post em.

loudbang likes this.
  14. raven

raven

Did I miss a trash at Beaner's?
    r

loudbang likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Naw just us cutting stuff up, someone had posted a "who would you want to spend a weekend with/meet" thread and a bunch said Beaner. That's what I was referencing

loudbang likes this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Next time let me know....he may let me help.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Moatc

Moatc
    from Kc,Mo

Like to come by for a visit

loudbang likes this.
  18. Moatc

Moatc
    from Kc,Mo

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Kaitlin Genner drives a '60 Bug-eyed Sprite, took it in this morning for repairs, service?
    True. Don't think hers has a SBC, but you never know! Some things just aren't as they seem!

loudbang likes this.
  20. That sprite may be like Kaitlin's dress, you probably don't want to lift the hood.o_O:eek::D

LOL you would probably just want to bolt a 9 to my motor mount( my hurst mount came with hole for a W motor as well as an SBC) then I would have to build better springs. :D

Stop by whenever you want, you know that the door is always open. ;)

loudbang and Moatc like this.