Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need Some Dimensions - '46 Chevrolet Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Feb 15, 2017.

1. If someone with an original/semi-original '46 Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton pickup could take some measurements for me please....

1) Height of front fender opening
    2) Height to center of first bolt hole in front frame horn
    3) Height to top (or bottom) of frame at the rear of the cab
    4) Height to top (or bottom) of frame at the end of the frame (rear)

Please include tire size (F/R) so I can allow for non-stock applications.

I have a lowered OT front suspension and I am trying to set up my rear suspension. The rear will have new springs that are shorter than my OG springs. I am not comfortable with where my previous rear axle centerline was. So, I need to get my frame "level" (or oriented in the same relative "rake") as from the factory in order to find the proper rear axle location.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. wayfarer

wayfarer

My father in law has a stock suspension '46 GMC if that would work. He has slightly taller tires on the back, but other than that, the suspension is stock.

3. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I could give you all of those measurements if you want, but why don't you set the truck up and then locate the rear wheels by centering them in the wheel well?

4. The bed is in pieces and stored away. The cab is not even bolted to the frame at the moment. I am wanting to get everything located and bolted in place, then disassembled, blasted, and painted. Was hoping to not have to assemble the WHOLE truck just to locate the axle CL.

At your convenience, those measurements would the bomb! Thanks!

5. Works for me! If you can just include the specs/sizes of the tires on the tires that are non-stock, that would be even better!! Stock size is 6.00-16...

6. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Ok Brett here goes---front fender opening---28 1/4" front frame horn high one is 15" low one is 14 1/2" --- top of frame behind cab is 23" --- bottom of rear frame is 19 1/4" The tires are 7.10-15 front(white wall) and 6.50-15 rear (white wall -snow tires) Snows on for winter to get truck in and out of shop when snowing. This truck is a worn out original truck measured on the black top with a tape measure.

brett4christ likes this.
  7. Thanks so much!!! Perfect!

8. wayfarer

wayfarer

From my father in law's restored GMC:
    1) 28 3/4
    2) 15 5/16
    3) 15 3/4 Bottom
    4) 20 1/4 Bottom (short box probably a little less as it is going uphill back there.

tires 29 1/2 tall

9. ....I'd just mount the rear where the wheels look rite in the fender opening

10. The bed is disassembled and in storage, so...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Thanks!! Two trucks measured should give me what I need!!

Tomorrow I measure, figure, and measure some more!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

13. This is from the vehicle information kits found at the GM Heritage Center (gmheritagecenter.com). The dimensions I need are not in this package ANYWHERE! (All 55 pages of info....), but...

If anyone ever needs OE information on ANY GM car or truck, GM Heritage Center is a treasure vault of information. GREAT reference information!! Awesome photo archives as well!! Give it a look!!