Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

jakespeed63, stillrunners and GaryS like this.
  2. GaryS

GaryS

Good job! Is your aluminum radiator an off-the-shelf item, or custom made? I'll need one for my '56 and if one of the aftermarket companies already makes one that will fit without modification, it will save me some work.

I'm also curious about the transmission. Did you adapt the pushbutton PowerFlite to the LA engine, or use a different shifter?

3. Big Swede

Big Swede

I've seen a few offered on eBay, that from looks alone may fit, I've not yet pulled the trigger on one yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

Yeah, I bought it on eBay. It fit perfectly & works well, it also has a trans cooler in the radiator.
    The car was a 3 on the tree I home made a linkage & detent to use the original column shifter.

Big Swede likes this.
  5. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

in my 56 I'm running a poly 1964 Poly 318 and a 1964 push button torqueflite operated from the stock 56 Plymouth push buttons. I'm also running an aluminum radiator that I think is from a 63 Plymouth, but I'd need to double check my parts listing.

stillrunners likes this.
  6. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

I read your whole blog between yesterday and today. Very cool and very nice to see another 56 being built..I sure feel your frustrations in building hot rods, but if it were easy everyone would do it. I was able to keep my pushbuttons by using a 64 pushbutton torqueflite and I used the stock 2 speed push button setup with modification. So it still looks completely stock.. I haven't done anything with the park cable yet. I liked the way you made the park lever under the shifter pod. I also like the way you are building the console. Looks really nice...And if you are ever in NJ, try and make a visit to Jim Rawa where you got your gold inserts from. He has quite a collection of cars.

7. GaryS

GaryS

Thanks for stopping to read my blog. It was a real disappointment to have to shelve my attempt to create a "factory-look" three-speed shifter with a Park lever. I haven't given up the project, but it was time to concentrate on getting the car running.

8. Nathan56

Nathan56

My 56 plymouth savoy 3.8 L 230ci flatty project love this car!

9. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

I feel your pain...I struggled with that for awhile too because my car is all stock inside and I didn't want a shifter sticking out of the floor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

10. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

11. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

These are photos of what I did to use the stock column 3 on the tree shifter. Which I then made shift linkage using mostly original parts (reversing the column spring etc). It works well.

12. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

13. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

My welds are shitty (flux core weld) . It's a bit ugly but it works great! & I didn't have to mount a floor shifter. & it was next to free! Pull the lever at you select a gear & go!

14. GaryS

GaryS

Very creative!

15. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

Very nice way to build your own column shift..nice !!!

16. Big Swede

Big Swede

Those that have used lowering blocks in the rear, where did you source them and what width did you use? I'm looking for a 2" drop on my '55 Plymouth Savoy.

Thanks

17. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

When I got my rear blocks I just got generic 2 inch lowering blocks off the shelf at the local auto parts store.

Big Swede likes this.
  18. I buy blocks from Speedway because they offer 1/2" increments to get the stance
    "just right".

Big Swede likes this.
  19. Nathan56

Nathan56

I need help with a engine swap in my 56 plymouth savoy want to pull the 230cid and drop in a 318 based 408 from sumitt racing, any help would be appreciated, will I have fitment issues etc.?

20. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

Are you running power steering?...That's where I had fitment issues. I also had fitment issues for the fan to rad but it could all be stemmed from trying to learn my power steering.

21. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

It was a tighter fit than I thought it'd be. I don't have power steering though. I shimmed the motor & trans in the car to where i wanted them, then I made lucite models of the mounts then made them from steel & welded them in place.[​IMG]

22. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

I cut the mount tabs out of a v8 chassis and put them in my chassis and the used donut mounts.

23. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

You will also need v8 steering linkage so you can clear the oil pan.

24. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

That is a great idea Sperduton. I cut some out of a 83 5th Ave but I found they weren't as nice as the ones you had. & im broke so I just made due.

25. geez.....you guys are killing me on these engine swaps..........

26. Hotrod_Bandit

Hotrod_Bandit
    from Joplin mo

Wallyriogo I used a rear end out of a 65' coronet fit perfect. Just had to move the The leaf spring Mounts.

StillOutThere likes this.
  27. Anyone know of a '55 or 56 Plymouth or Dodge CONVERTIBLE parts car on the planet? I need trunk hinges. Must be from a convertible.
    DeSoto and Chrysler are NOT same.
    Thanks.

28. Gee - X - haven't seen a convert parts car or close in my years of scouting Texas yards - could we modify a hardtop - think that would be close - there's a Dodge HRTP up in Sunset just north of Decatur....

29. I was thinking and hoping the hardtop hinges could be modified but they are very VERY different. But thanks for the thought. I've been to Trenton Browne's great yard!

30. Still looking for trunk hinges for my '56 Dodge convertible. Thanks.

JonnyZ72 likes this.