Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Anti-nowhere coupe. Banger to Av8 build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tulfabrication, Jan 11, 2017.

1. mike bowling

mike bowling

It's awfully clean! ( just joking) ( well, not really)
    Nice coupe- and you're doing a great job.

2. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

don't loose the bearings out of your drill press , I was going to replace the ones in mine , could not find a replacement , some kind of special bearings that they had made just for their machines I think . nice build , been watching .

carbed87 likes this.
  3. Thanks for all the compliments guys. Not really sure why, but it has been a struggle to make any decent progress. Anyway, last week i took my transmission over to a good friend's shop for him to look it over (bonus points if you can tell whose shop it is in the first pic). While it was found out that i have a Lincoln gear-set in my trans...it's a little rusty. Here are some pictures of what we found. I was told to look for another set of gears. Kind of a bummer. 027.JPG

029.JPG

030.JPG

4. ...and here's what it's looking like with the motor in. Still has to come out one last time.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487041764.430376.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487041777.626822.jpg

Still a tight fit:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487041795.873750.jpg

benchseat4speed and T-roaster like this.
  5. So it looks like I'm going to have to keep the wishbone up pretty high in order to help with the caster. Does anyone have any good tips for adjusting out some caster? Can you do that at the spring (like maybe a shim between the crossmember and spring)

I have about 9* right now...that's a little more than I'd like.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487041926.281747.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487041938.051375.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487041949.742205.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487041958.816920.jpg

6. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

Like what you have accomplished so far, keep up the good work!

7. Motmo

Motmo

You can pie cut the wish bone and set the camber right where you want it. I had the opposite problem of needing to increase the caster angle but same principle. I put a couple cuts into my wishbone, mounted them to the frame (mine were split, but again, same principle) set the caster and them tacked them at the desired angle. Then I removed them and welded them up.

IMG_3170.JPG

brEad likes this.
  8. Great idea! Thanks man!

I'm going to see what happens when I put my wheels on, they are 28" and 31" respectively which I think may help. Not sure.

metalhead140 likes this.
  9. joee

joee

lots of nice hard work...looks great. good tip about the wish bone...I was thinking of a v cut

10. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

11. WP38

WP38

Great build photos are helpfull. Cheers

12. Great to hear guys! Goal for this weekend is to have the wishbone mounted. Keep an eye out for updates.

Tim likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good

14. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Nine sounds perfect.....it'll all change with body and wheel tire combo anyhow...

15. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

Hey - thanks for posting all this. I know it's a big job -- but it's much appreciated.

carbed87 likes this.
  16. Just stumbled across this thread. Awesome build! And I dig that Agnostic Front skate deck you have there

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg If this clearance is as tight as it looks you will have issues changing belts.
    9 degrees caster is still close to good and only slightly over the recommended .Straight line will be better .

18. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

Hi, I love this thread! Lots of what your doing is my plan for my 28 tudor. I would like to know is your front axle a model A and did you have it dropped locally? Thanks...Mike

19. Hey guys, got some updates for ya. When I get to my computer I will update more. Kiwi you have a good point. Belt changing may be an issue...guess I'll have to figure something out there.

Worked on my wishbone mount and got it all in:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487774820.959937.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487774850.707860.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487774865.751136.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487774877.651601.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487774889.245023.jpg

20. I used a dropped and "stretched" model A axle from Kohler Kustoms. So while it wasn't local...it was stock model A

21. Thanks man, Agnostic Front is one of my favorites. My car's nickname is also kind of a tip of the cap to old punk rock (anti nowhere league).

22. Now it's time to put all this crap together again and hope it doesn't leak. Hoping to find out by next weekend (pending the arrival of some parts)

Regarding the caster issue, turns out it was artificially exaggerated. Without the wishbone mounted the axle slid forward under the weight of the motor. When bringing back the wishbone to where it belongs, caster fell right at 7-8*.

While I understand this will change, with wheels and the weight of the body, it is good to know that it's not completely out of whack.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1487775141.107738.jpg

23. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Looking good, I really need to get back to work on mine. Thanks for the inspiration, this should be killer.

24. So it's been a rough couple of weekends chasing down brake fluid leaks. I've gone from 4 unions to zero, and replaced all but maybe 2 linear feet of my brake lines. This time i was taking special care when flaring the ends of the tubing.
    Lessons learned:
    -Dot 5 brake fluid DOES seem to leak easier but its good for the initial test to make sure you don't have any significant leaks
    -If a fitting is leaking a little bit, try loosening and tightening a couple times
    -after cutting your tubing, dress the end with a file before moving on to the flare
    -speaking of flaring...use some lubrication between the flaring tool and the tubing. also dont over tighten
    -speedway residual valves are NPT so yes, actually using thread sealant helps with getting a couple more threads in there.

25. Forgot the pictures

IMG_0400[1].JPG IMG_0401[1].JPG IMG_0402[1].JPG IMG_0403[1].JPG IMG_0405[1].JPG

benchseat4speed and Runnin shine like this.
  26. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Making some progress there!
    In the last photo the brake line looks really close to the shackle. Is that just an optical illusion? I wondered if the shackle would contact it if the suspension unloads over a bump?
    I have to do this job on my A soon so I'm interested how you got it set up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    This pic reminded me how much I wanted say that I love them motor mounts! So nice.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. It's just an illusion, that was a top priority when doing these lines. I can pick the rear of the frame up by the crossmember and the shackle will miss it even at full droop.

29. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Cool, thanks for the clarification

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!