Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceman7578, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

im trying to ID the motor in my car so I know the year, c.i.d etc. clearly I'm not smart enough to figure it out. Can anyone help please?

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Bro.... can at least give a "make"? This group has the knowledge of ages. But even they'll need a clue.

3. BJR

BJR

A picture of the entire motor would also help.

4. Fordors

Fordors

It's a SBC. 1975 350, 2 bbl carb, from a van or bus. Best possible redeeming quality? Maybe a school bus motor came with 4 bolt mains.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ You got all that info from the front of a Small Block Chevy with a short water pump? The heads/head are of a that era.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

• Large triangle over rectangle (“crown”) c/n 882. Large chamber (76 cc nominal), hardened exhaust valve seats, compromised intake port (1971-'76 350/400 cid). One of the most common smog heads, performance use is limited.

7. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

Fantastic!! I know it's a turd performance wise, I mean, I can probably outrun the thing on foot. It cruises well though and runs fine soooooo, until it's dead I'm using it. Parts were tough though since I didn't know what it was.

Attached Files:

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Unless your working inside of the engine it doesn't matter much. Just tell the part's guy it's a 283 1957-1967 and all your bolt on parts will work except maybe the oil filter. Show us that or the casting numbers at the back of the block top drivers side. [​IMG]

9. Fordors

Fordors

Once I saw the head I realized it might be a three letter suffix. Before I noticed the head I thought it was KF but there was no KF listed, took another look and saw it was TKF- Bingo!

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

I can't see the casting number on the back. My fuel pump took a dump and I'm needing a new one and figured I might as well know what I have and since I couldn't figure it, I knew you wizards could!

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Take your bad pump to match just in case. Chevy made different inlet and outlets thru the years.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take the pic that you shared with us and tell the guy behind the parts counter that you need a fuel pump - if he is not totally baffled and at least tries to figure it out, especially after you tell him that it is in a '54 Chevy, then take all of your parts business to him

40ply likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

Look on the pump, it might have a number stamped on it. There are lots of different pumps that will fit that engine, with different fitting sizes, locations, etc. Just because the engine is out of a truck, doesn't mean it still has a truck fuel pump on it. After all, it doesn't have the original type of water pump, either.

14. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Op put a good quality one on ,( after market ) there is a lot of fuel pumps on shelf @ Napa -autozone -avance (Airtex pumps ) Last about 200 miles , diaphragms are dry rotted , cheap rubber & since mid 80's pretty much all vehicles have electric fuel pumps