Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1964 Ford Econoline Engine Swap Again !

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by EconoRedman, Feb 12, 2017.

1. EconoRedman

EconoRedman

IMG_1911.JPG 20161111_111413.jpg Hi guys. I am looking for the enonoline engine swap experts. Vic and EconoHerb I think. I have read their thread on some swaps, but what I need to know is if it is possible to swap a 1967 Ford econoline van motor (240ci) into a 1964 Ford Econoline that currently has an original 170ci. I already have a tubular crossmember. I just need to know if I need to change the doghouse, and if the tranny will bolt up to the 240.
    Tranny specs are as follows.
    Ford 3-speed manual, model 3.03 HEF
    Gears: 1st=3.41, 2nd=1.86, 3rd=1.00, R=3.51

I would appreciate any help that you all could give me. I have a freshly rebuilt 240ci that I do not want to go to waste.

2. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

The 67 tubular cross member will be needed, I don't know about the trans or doghouse. I do know I used that cross member and put a 289-C4 in a 62 and used the stock doghouse. I did that swap back in 1971. :D

3. EconoRedman

EconoRedman

Thanks Johnboy34. I would not mind changing the tranny, but I would really like to keep the three on the tree option instead of going to a C4 auto. As far as the doghouse is concerned, I have heard that the later doghouses were about an inch taller and had the extension in the back to allow for the larger bell housing. This is all just speculation though as I cannot find any information to corroborate those little bits of old info in the back of my mind heheheh.

Johnboy34 likes this.
  4. junkers72

junkers72

I drove a 66 with a 240 a while back and swapped in a low mileage remanufactured 300 out of an 85 pickup . The oil pan and oil pickup had to be swapped from the 240. The stock clutch assembly bolted right onto the 300 flywheel. The 300 had a flat boss where the 240 dipstick went into the block. Just carefully marked and drilled . If you don't have the proper oil pan I think that would be your only issue. Just my 2 cents. Also bellhousing wasn't anything special. 90 degree oil filter adapter had to be used also. That wasn't a problem neither.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

legend544 likes this.

5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

6. EconoRedman

EconoRedman

Woohoooo!!!! ok that's the post I have been looking for!!! With the actual pictures in it and everything. In fact that 170ci looks EXACTLY like my 240ci !! Thanks all of you guys, I will keep you posted as to the things that are not covered in the original post. The radiator to use etc. THANK YOU !!!

Johnboy34 likes this.
  7. Hellfish

Hellfish

Basically a 170 is completely different from a 240. You'll need a new trans, bellhousing, driveshaft, rear end, throttle connection, crossmember, radiator, and so on... but the dog house should be ok. :)

8. EconoRedman

EconoRedman

Thank you Hellfish. I was afraid of that. I measured the length of the 170 and its 29" long whereas the 240 is 32" long, and in the doghouse from the back of the radiator to the back of the doghouse is 32". That means that to make it fit the NEW and/or MODIFIED radiator would have to be re positioned to fit the 240 as well. I remember when you could not give away a Ford 3 speed transmission because everyone wanted a Hurst or or C4 automatic. Unfortunately that was 30 years ago. Anyone know where to find a Ford 3-speed manual, model 3.03 bell housing for a Ford small block? Hellfish, are you still in contact with all of those Econo heads from when you did that other post? They seem to have had access to lots of cool stuff .

9. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I am working on an F100 with a 240/3.03 three on the tree combo. I can get the numbers off of it when I get to the shop. As was said, the 240 and the 170 are different platforms. If you go to all the trouble of fitting the bigger block, you might as well make it a 300. I have seen 300 engines in econolines, and I think they could be had from the factory. Good luck!

10. junkers72

junkers72

My 240 was very close to the box at the back of the head/valve cover.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Hellfish

Hellfish

No, I sold my van awhile back, but if you do a search, there are a few active vintage van forums

12. EconoRedman

EconoRedman

Thanks Shivasdad, but there is no need. I have thrown my hands in the air and am buying a 67 that I found. I will be selling the 64 in short order. The reason I wanted to use the 240 instead of a 300 or even a 289 is because I already have one that has been rebuilt sitting around. I thought that this would be an easy swap. It's certainly no ones fault but mine. I should have done my homework a little better before starting. Thanks again :)

13. EconoRedman

EconoRedman

Thanks Junkers

14. EconoRedman

EconoRedman

Hey Hellfish, was it you that actually put a 289 in place of the inline 6 ? If so, how well did the van handle with the added power and weight ? If you don't mind me asking, why did you sell it ? Not happy with it? Wanted something different ? No room ? Thanks

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

500 Caddy fits with a few mods. New doghouse , crossmember , tranny crossmember .
    9inch Ford rear boat cable shifter and cable gas pedal. Other than that it's a bolt in.
    Forgot radiator too. Hauls butt when it's done.

16. Hellfish

Hellfish

I put a 302 HO in place of the 170. Someone added a link to my swap above. It actually handled better with the extra weight (not much) and power. It was a lot of fun.
    I had to sell it because I had torn it apart after doing some damage drag racing and was pretty close to having it all back together, but was limited on time, and my family moved to the East Coast where I had no room for a project.

17. EconoRedman

EconoRedman

Ahh ok, that's a bummer. Want to buy another one and start over? :) I bought my 67 !!!