Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A bed with 32-34 cab

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jan 13, 2014.

1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Anyone have pics of a 32-34 truck using a model A bed? I'm in the middle of a 34 truck project on 32 rails and have a really nice model A bed but I'm not sure size wise if it looks right and might just make a bed for it. I've seen a couple pics of 32-34's with A beds but would like to see more if anyone has them. The tricky part I think would be figuring out to get it sitting right as it runs over the kick up on the frame and then addressing the big gap under the bed between the cab and front of the back wheel

Thanks!

Here's a pic I have of one I liked and would live to see more pics of it from the side. I'm curious as to what it looks like right behind the cab. From what I can see it looks like another block of wood or piece of steel painted body color placed under the long strip of wood that is usually under under the bed normally

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389636707.926122.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    Jeff34 likes this.
  2. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389637223.441511.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. titus

titus

dont do it, too small, better luck making one from scratch if you cant find one, i made mine from scratch

4. HotRod33

HotRod33

Here's mine

Attached Files:

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

That's an A cab (not 32-34) and box, which is why they look good together. The owner/builder posted pics on my build thread post #271

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511327&page=14

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  6. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

Not a fan either. To small

7. bed sides and a tail gate will cost you less than a grand. you can fab the rest.
    mac hills can set you up in missouri

8. This is a 34 cab on Deuce rails,,the bed is about the same length as a model A but is home-built. HRP

[​IMG]

9. This is my '32 with a homemade bed. HRP

[​IMG]

10. I had a 27 T bed on my 33....was an experiment until I could build/buy a newer bed.

Attached Files:

11. HotRod33

HotRod33

Here are some more pictures that you wanted. Per your questions the cab is in the stock position. The bed is homemade, the only thing I would change is make the filler panels under the bed a couple of inches taller to raise the bed up on the back of the cab a little more. okay where are the pictures LOL..

12. HotRod33

HotRod33

Here are the pictures... I plan on changing the tank it looks like shit...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  13. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

14. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

32 pickup with model a bed i did a few years back

Attached Files:

15. A Boner

A Boner

When an A bed is combined with a 32 cab, usually the bed tends to look too small. But if the cab is channeled, it sort of brings things into scale. If the cab is sitting on a 32 frame, the box looks too small, and it looks a little off, especially right behind the cab. If the cab is sitting on top of an A frame the look is inbetween the 2 choices above.

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... I don't think it is the short bed as much as the '34 frame is too long, 7 1/2" longer w.b. than the '31...
    pooches the tire in wheelwell thing... even the '32 w.b. is 6" too short..
    but, i would shorten the tail of the '33 /'34 bed... to make it a little more sporty....

17. Jeff34

Jeff34

I'm not sure that's a '34 cab. It's missing the wide beltline on the back of the cab. You can see the wide beltline on the primered cab pic. '33 maybe? I think the box looks too narrow as well.
    What about finding a '34 tailgate and just widening the bed?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  18. S Baltera

S Baltera

I used an A bed on a 32 build.Made a frame for the bed that bolted to the 32 chassis then bolted the bed to that frame.Used angle alone the frame rails with a I beam across the back of the cab and C channel down in the back to the frame.Works great Left the opening between the cab and front of the back wheel.There a pix of it on Hot Rod Leather wedsite under customer rides section.Its a flat green hiboy with sliks. Hope this helps.If I can help in any way let me know

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm pretty embarrassed to post this and don't know why I am. Here's my 32 with a early wide T bed a couple years ago.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry that the tail gate isn't visible in this pic. It'd be right outside the edge in this shot.
    It is shortened a fair bit to remove its second to last stake pocket. This pic was after I kinda completed fabricating the frame. The cab is sitting high in the front. I was very unhappy with these results. So now I will un-channel the cab from 5" to 4" and give it a tiny 1.5-2" chop. The bed is getting lowered as well. It has a L channel and 1" square tube floor frame for under the wood. But I'm discarding that now to get the bed down. I'm filling the "gap" behind the cab with panels that have a lower body line like the rest of the truck. I have 33-34 car cowl patches I think that will work for this to follow the frame kick up.
    Remember proportion and stance are everything. And this layout didn't have it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app