Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 pick up fuel tank

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Woodster, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

I want to thank everyone here who so freely share their knowledge. Tremendous help....

My question for today..... my pick up has the fuel tank under the seat (!) and I would really like to move it somewhere else. That's too bad because it looks like new, inside and out. I have searched the HAMB but haven't come across anything covering this. It looks like a 'car' tank would be too high.... could I mount it to the bottom of the frame and reinforce the tank lip with a piece of strap steel and bolt through that? I remember that my '34 pick up had a rear tank but don't know it that would fit.

I'd like the filler to be in the bed under a door to further protect it from a collision.

Thanks in advance,
    Gary O

Attached Files:

2. My solution won't help but I used a passenger car tank. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woodster likes this.
  3. 2935ford

2935ford

^^^^^
    x2 on HRP

That's exactly what I did.
    Works great.

Woodster likes this.
  4. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

That was in a pick up?? I read a couple places that a stock 32 car tank was too high. Great, thanks!

5. studebaker46

studebaker46

not to be a smartass but what is wrong with where it is at? the chevys and fords had them in the cab and contrary to popular belief they were moved because of ease of installation not safety. inside the cab would be just as safe as hanging on the rearend like the 32 cars just my H.O. Tom

6. Yes sir,I was told the same thing you will have to notch one of the bed supports above the tank but that's it,I also added a speeder bar and a bumper. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ratrod0

ratrod0

I used a car tank, a 1934 truck filler neck aND a gas hose at looked like a radiator hose (NAPA)

Woodster likes this.
  8. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Tom,
    Also not wanting to be a smart ass or start a debate, the Center for Auto Safety, in their report on saddle tanks of the 80's stated "Like Ford and Chrysler, GM made pickups with gas tanks inside the cab in the 1960’s. Because of concerns about the safety of placing the gas tank inside the passenger cab, the Big Three auto makers all considered relocating the tank outside the passenger compartment in the early 1970’s." Also, with the pick up there is a couple feet of crush area in the bed hanging off the end. It'll be bad either way if I get hit but I'd rather change it now than wish I had as I watch someone heading toward me. I plan on driving this every day so the chances of some texting teenager t-boning me go up. No reason other than that.

Thanks for your feedback and making me look that up. Convinces me it's the right thing to do.... for me

Gary O

9. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Love that truck!!!!!!!

10. Ford,and many other automobile manufactures mounted the gas tank at the rear of many years,Ford started with the 1932 Ford and to my knowledge continues this practice through the Hamb cut off of 65 with all the production cars.

I had a original gas tank mounted inside the cab of my F- 100,It didn't take to long to re position the tank. HRP

Woodster likes this.
  11. Mine is in the stock location. with a custom built bed it fills and looks like stock tank.

Mick
    32rpurearchr.jpg

54reno likes this.
  12. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

WOW!!!! Just wow!!!

13. studebaker46

studebaker46

I was just giving you another option by all means if you feel better about this then in the rear is where it should go and if I were in your area I would offer to help with the fabrication TOM

14. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

I appreciate other ways of thinking. Tanks Inc has a poly tank that mounts on the lower frame rail and then has a fiberglass cover to replicate a real deuce tank top. I suspect that tank would be lower and might fit with no mods to the bed.

Cheers,
    Gary O

15. S Baltera

S Baltera

I used a passenger tank on my 32 but I have a model A bed on it so it sits a little higher. If you can get enough room under the bed to mount a passenger tank I made a filler neck with a flange to mount it and cut a hole in the skirt of the bed put a flip top cap on it .To join the two pieces together I used a Bob Drake universal filler hose.Works great.As for the original tank I cut the top out of it and used it for my fuse panel and battery.Used a small dry cell.Mounted a brookville roadster seat (I think) that the bottom flips up.Hope this helps

16. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Always appreciate feedback and ideas. Yeah, a dry cell would work in the interior, wouldn't it. The stock tank is pretty nice but if I can't sell it that's a good idea

Thanks,
    Gary O

17. socal34

socal34

I use the stock tank , only problem I am have is how to mount a sending unit in it for a gas gauge.

18. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm running 34 rails narrowed with a 32 spreader bar with parallel leafs. aside from the fact I wouldn't do that again, I'm using a tanks u4 universal. it was a functional compromise

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app