Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GMC 6 cylinder

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by spendingtheirinheritance, Oct 13, 2016.

1. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

It's my understanding that the 235 chevy bellhousing will work on the big jimmy 6. I have what is supposed to be a 235 chevy stick shift bellhousing. When I try to mate the two, the bolt holes appear to match but the alignment pins are off. Does the bellhousing need some modification to work or do I have the wrong setup?

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have bolted several GMC engines to a couple of 235 bell housings. Always worked for me. You must have something not right.

3. squirrel

squirrel

pictures? and how far off are the pins?

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I take the pins out to do the alignment when using a Chev on GMC. Please tell us which bellhousing u have as there are many that will work. I like the 55-57 car for the side mounts. If your triangleing the engine mounting by making your own side mounts and a single trans mount then the 58-62 car is a good one with more roon for the exhaust. Good luck

Hnstray likes this.

5. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

Thanks for the help. I'll try a get some pictures up. The pins seem to be 3/16 ths farther apart than the corresponding holes in the bellhousing. The housing is labeled" 55 chevy pickup 235." I probably should try and find a car bellhousing for the sidemounts. thanks again

6. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy truck bellhousings have mounts also.

7. Get the casting number off the bell housing and post it here. It may not be what the label says it is.

8. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

The casting # appears to be 836967. the 8's 6's 3's and 9's are hard to tell apart

9. silent rick

silent rick

i'm not saying anything. i could, but i won't.

belair likes this.
  10. Well, we know the # 7 is a keeper. TOO many variations, without being more certain of the numbers.

11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

stillrunners likes this.
  12. pictures........ we need pictures !

13. Looking in my GM books, being that the casting number you have is 6 digits and not 7 digits, and being that you believe the 1st digit is an "8", which is probably correct, that means the bell housing you have is a very early one, going from 1933 to not newer than 1948.
    A '55 to '62 235 bellhousing is what you need to use.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  14. silent rick

silent rick

so is there much demand for an early bellhousing? just wondering if someone might need an early version and might be willing to swap it for the one cass needs.

15. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

Thanks everyone for the help. My new friend bobg1951chevy has hooked me up with the proper unit and info and help from his friends for me to make this work. The engine is going into my 33chevy 3 window. I haven't decided on a transmission yet--I do have a chevy 3 speed with a corvette shifter that would be pretty simple to install or I have a LaSalle that would be a pain in the ass to install but might be really cool. The engine has a Howard 12 port head, roller cam, Wayne exhaust manifolds, injection, and runs on E-85. If I can get my "friend" silent rick to take some pics I'll add them to this thread.

16. need pictures of the chevy!!!!!!!!
    what happened to the original engine?

17. silent rick

silent rick

i need to take better, more recent shots. my battery was going and i didn't have much flash.

[​IMG]

the body work has been done and it's all in one color. the adapters have been made to run these halibrand magnesium knock offs that were originally scheduled to go on the wife's t-bird.

[​IMG]

some gmc parts

[​IMG]

i'll get some better pics this weekend but if you'd like to see more of cass' junk, check out this thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bang-bang-bang-bang.747601/

Countn'Carbs, Jet96 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  18. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Hell! This is torture! Can't wait to see that engine and the car!

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  19. silent rick

silent rick

here's some more shots as promised

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Countn'Carbs, Pat, Cosmo49 and 5 others like this.
  20. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd take one of those in a minute! Great little Hot Rod.

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A warning about the Halibrand magnesium wheels appeared in a 1952 racing magazine stating they should be checked for cracks if they were more than a few years old. I think at the time they had only been out for about 5 years. I'm not saying they are dangerous, just suggesting you ask someone who is familiar with them.

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Howard/Arias head. I see you made a side mount off the front edge of the bell housing, that keep extra room as not using the saddle type that was under the standard truck bellhousing which had 1 mount hole on each side. We don't see the other side but I'm sure it has the 2 bolt mounted starter. I used that on my race car for many many years. I use the 6 volt on 12 volts with out a failure. Flathead guys do it all the time. I believe someone offers a mini starter with the adapter plate. I made 2 adapters years ago to fit a Nissan starter when I changed from the 139 tooth flywheel I was using at the time. If you have a problem with a flywheel PM me and I'll give you some options.
    Are you going to convert the fuel injection to electronic? If I live lone enough I hope to do that to mine after I'm done racing it. I'm trying to convince my son to do that with the Skinner 12 port we also have when he puts our old 40 Chev LSR coupe on the street. Looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing complete..JD Inliner # 35

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  23. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

jimmy six
    Yes my bellhousing is set up for the two bolt starter. My crankshaft is drilled to accept the V8 flywheel. We have machined up a small transitional intake manifold to accept the electronic fuel injectors and move the entire injection unit enough to allow spark plug access without removing the injection unit. I plan on using mega-squirt electronics to control the mess. Thanks so much for your offer to help--I am sure I will be in contact soon.

24. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is someone making 12 port castings currently?

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think you can get Arias 12 ports and maybe Skinner 12 ports from Paramount Forge. If you call Arias I bet they know.

joel likes this.