Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ...And another 29 roadster on deuce rails project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Jan 3, 2017.

1. A little progress. I want to make sure the rear crossmember is well supported to handle the torsional stress it will see being the spring mount. So I made some inner plates for the rear crossmember that will be welded to the top and bottom of the rail.
    This will all be covered by the rear boxing plate that will go around the tube and be welded as well. Should be stout.
    [​IMG]

I got the mid crossmember placed and tacked.
    [​IMG]

Also got the bones split and hanging in place. Trying to get a visual on how much to trim the rear length. I plan on going through the frame, so the bones are about flush with the bottom of the rail.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. .....slow but steady. I didn't like the crossmember that was tieing the spring pockets together. So I tacked another tube in to hold it together, and cut it out, and replace it with something a little more fitting style-wise.

I made some boxing plates for the mid crossmember, got them tacked , and I have the rear legs fitted and tacked in place. Dimensionally thing are coming out nice.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. I set up my new Miller 215 mig and tig today and tried it out. Thing has power.

I went to harbor freight and picked up a welding cabinet. It's actually a nice piece, nice and heavy, lots of storage and holds two tanks.

Never have tig welded, but had some gas welding experience. I need a ton of practice, but managed to lay a few beads. There's a lot to learn.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chucky, bct, Blue One and 3 others like this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great looking work. Your TIG welds look good for a first time.

5. Thanks, I was practicing on scrap HR steel without removing the mill scale, and that was a real mistake. Had a helluva time with the tungsten getting contaminated and sticking. Getting on some clean metal made a big difference. Trying to figure out if bi-focals are best or cheaters!

bct likes this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea, clean metal is the best. If you need glasses, use them. I TIG welded, when I went to welding school. My regret was not sticking with it.

7. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

like the way this is going.

8. I use full size cheaters while I MIG weld, a huge help.

Roadsir likes this.
  9. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell, I use a cheater lens in my helmet and also wear cheaters. I could not make my bi-focals work at all. By the looks of it your catching on to tig pretty quick.

Roadsir likes this.
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nice job subscribed

Roadsir likes this.
  11. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Very professional and clean....I appreciate the pics and skills you have, which I clearly do not have!!! I'm very impressed to put it mildly;)

Roadsir likes this.
  12. Thanks guys. Today I tacked in the lower spring pockets. These need to be "dead on" as there's no for and aft adjustment. The cross member is in nice and square but still ran a tape from the spring eye mount to the center of the front crossmember.
    I also made the upper bar mounts and got those tacked in. Top bars will be adjustable.
    So far so good.

[​IMG]

13. After the inner structure was welded I fitted the boxing plate around the tube and have it tacked in place. It's ready to weld.

[​IMG]

14. I got the rear crossmember tube tacked in, and bobbed the back of the frame today. More room to walk around it now!
    [​IMG]

15. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Looks GREAT so far!

16. Keep the updates coming

17. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Isn't TIG great? When I would go down and work with the guys at the speed shop I thought they depended on them too much- I would see areas where it was just quicker to get in with a mig welder and burn in a weld... but... the more I tig the less and less I MIG. Reasons... no smoke, no sparks, clean clean clean and better control and its not as bright.

We had this fitbit challenge at work last year- they gave us a free one. I tried it out. You wear them on your wrist and they monitor your heart rate and how many steps you take each day- the novelty wore off fast but when I looked at the data there was this period where my resting heart beat was lower than the resting heart rate when I was sleeping. It was about an hour after school each day... each of those days I was tig welding in the shop.

Chills me right out. I love it. I wish we had tig welders to teach with here at the High School.

Tuck

brEad, 30TudorSedan and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Nice work so far.
    That Welding cabinet is nice, I like it.
    The best you will find for welding vision is a pair of single vision glasses (a specific prescription) similar to reading glasses for close up work.
    Bi- focals will drive you nuts trying to find the right focal position to see clearly.

Roadsir likes this.
  19. I agree. My shop is a mile or so from my shop. During the week I'm pretty busy with work, and can't get real excited about running home changing to go down there and do some heavy fab and mig welding......But tig has me thinking differently. I could run down...weld for an hour and it would be completely different.
    And yes, there is definitely more of a Zen thing about tig.......or at least there will be once I become more proficient.

brEad likes this.
  20. I got on "The Facebook" finally coming to the realization that its not a flash in the pan. If you can steer clear of the political bullshit there is a wealth of hot-rod stuff going on, and I have been able out more information about the "Dark Red Rose Sedan", the three window, and even the 40.

I came across this picture the other day for inspiration ...Pretty much spot on for the stance, profile, and no-nonsense look that I am going after. Not a thing on the car that doesn't have a purpose. And not that I don't like art deco brackets, lightening holes for artistic purposes, I'll employ that stuff if and where it make sense.

16903109_10155073126693035_5492660572431088012_o.jpg

I like this car too. I've been thinking about a Duvall or Hallok style windshield, this one is executed nicely with a lot of cowl work. I'd probably run a smaller front tire, and I'm wondering if he has a bump steer problem. Color is right up my alley.

16864268_10155060359088035_7556784116376811996_n.jpg

21. I wanted to run a Posies duraflex low spring as it sit's about 5/8" lower than the super-low multi leaf spring they offer (and I didn't want to run a mono-leaf). But they don't make a duraflex 30" main leaf for the old CE Forged axle that that Eric Aurand had given to my brother 12-15 years ago. So I went ahead and ordered the Super low but felt like I would be leaving 5/8" of an inch on the table.

I have a regular aftermarket 1" dropped model A cross-member tacked in like the lower one in the picture. First thought I had was to start hacking and raise the center of it. I found this photo on the net that Dearborn Deuce manufactured but I don't believe is available.

upload_2017-2-27_18-47-17.png

Then I found that JW Rod Garage stamps a flat cross member with a 2" drop that will get me where I want to be. C notch will be pretty deep, but I think things will work OK. I have one on its way.

upload_2017-2-27_19-1-9.png

Horton has a builder series option as well but I like the stamped form better from an aesthetic aspect.

upload_2017-2-27_18-48-30.png

22. I used the Welder Series flat front crossmember in my 33 frame, Naturally, I lost the little center tab somewhere.
    Love the work on the model A...hate you got rid of the 34.
    Lookin good!

willysguy, lothiandon1940 and Roadsir like this.
  23. Well I'll follow along. Seems like this will be a good one!

24. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Build....Subscribed!

Gr8laker likes this.
  25. I broke the tacks on the one inch dropped crossmember, and replaced it with the two inch dropped crossmember. I welded the outer edges and bottom to the side rails.

I also tacked a few weld nuts into the frame. Then cut and dimpled a few holes in the rear of the plates, and drilled a smaller hole at the front to exit brake and gas lines. Tacked the plates in place, and made a little short boxing place in front of the crossmember, and tacked those in.

Now I can work on getting the front crossmember legs cut and fit into place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  26. Man, you do NICE work!

Roadsir likes this.
  27. Brandi

Brandi

Excellent start! Can't go wrong with a '29 on deuce rails.

lothiandon1940 and Roadsir like this.
  28. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

welcome to the dark side lol... this is going to be really cool I'm following....um I could really use whatever is left of the 1/4's you don't use, especially that toasted right side...don't laugh mine were cut just above the beltline back the war ration days

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    40 Olds and Roadsir like this.
  29. Enjoying this. Thinking about building my own frame/chassis for my next project. Do you know who stamped the rails?

Roadsir likes this.
  30. Thanks!
    Yeah, though yours is for sale right?
    I will have some extra pieces, I'll keep you in mind. I have an extra cowl too.

I'm not sure, I got them in trade. Might be American Stamping. They are not JW. I am satisfied with the symmetry.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.