Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A 32 3w from glass to metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frankinplymouth, Dec 18, 2016.

1. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I like a deuce, and I like a boat tail, but I don't think they mix. Height issue makes it look funny. Boat tails should be longer and lower than a deuce rear body.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. The boat tail sure is not for me......Go back to your original plan Ray. (please)

3. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

I too like your original ass end (not that I'm checking you out or anything.)

Fantastic work!

slimcat7m3 and JOYFLEA like this.
  4. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

Back from the dark side, I put the old rear back on.................................Ray

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  5. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

Roughing in the cowl panel today. Made it two piece but may switch to one if i can fit it in the wheel. Will weld these two together and roll the front style bead in and turn the edge over to meet up with the fire wall. I will leave the panel long until i get the surrounding panels roughed in. The large style line will be the last thing. Ray

Attached Files:

1952B3b23, kidcampbell71 and koolkemp like this.
  6. Would love to see your technique for the bead and flange . Love your work and trying to learn custom metal work . Blue

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  7. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

Today I trial fit the cowl again. I messed it up a bit so it is now a better template. The small front bead needed some straightening and needed to be more proud.
    With the large style line I practiced putting it in before and after the flange being turned on to the fire wall. Looks like i could go either way.
    Next i will do the turn into the door jambs and set the window frame structure and see how that looks. Beer thirty.....Ray

Attached Files:

8. 4freek

4freek
    from Canada

Need more creative and talented people like this in the world. I'll bet the drywall work is a work of art also

luckythirteenagogo and Nostrebor like this.
  9. Ray, I have been with this thread from the beginning, have checked out some of your other posts and I'm sure I'm just missing it, but did you tell us what your actual money career (day job) is/was? You had Roth decals as a teenager, so I'm assuming you are in your 60's. Your shop looks like a commercial space, (or a residential space if one of us had a choice).

loudbang likes this.
  10. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

Hello, Drywall is what i do and still do part time. I'm 58 and that is my home shop. I also have two more unfinished buildings for storage.
    As far as the other comments................. I guess i need to pay attention to others needs when posting.............i guess enjoying my hobby and taking the time to share with others is just not enough.

H380, 1952B3b23, mkebaird and 5 others like this.
  11. Hey Ray, a smart man once told me "it takes all kinds to make a world". You've had 2 or 3 viewers who felt it necessary to complain, out of well over 7,000 views. You can please all the people some of the time, some of the people all the time, but you just can't please all the people all the time. I for one really appreciate the effort to share your project. I tried it once and it was such a pain I gave up, for now.
    Thanks for sharing.

hendelec likes this.
  12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

You can post your updates by carrier pigeon for all I care, just keep 'em coming!

I would have never guessed you were in the drywall trade. Apparently the precast trade does not have the same effect on my skill set. Perhaps I will take up knitting or something.:(

Keep up the good works, and point us curious types at a board with your other project on it if there is one.

hendelec likes this.
  13. Wo, hold on. I didn't mean to complain or offend anyone. I'm in awe of your metal work and your shop is completely awesome. (I said that earlier in the thread. Post #15). I also appreciate the effort you are expending on such a good build thread. If I worded my post wrong, sorry.

I was just curious to see what you did for a living, you have mad skills, way more than most of us, so I was just interested in your back story. If you're not interested in sharing back stories or taking compliments, no sweat, I'll look at the pictures and shut my pie hole.

loudbang likes this.
  14. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

I was just curious to see what you did for a living, you have mad skills, way more than most of us, so I was just interested in your back story. If you're not interested in sharing back stories or taking compliments, no sweat, I'll look at the pictures and shut my pie hole.[/QUOTE]

It was not directed at you at all . It was the other's posts............I'm happy to share, Ray

clunker likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

Please do keep sharing. The fab so far is amazing and I look forward to more. And if it doesn't turn out perfect, just slap some joint compound on it. :D

16. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

So I have the test cowl up in place and the windshield post hacked through it so i can see them together. A little duct tape to hide the edges and it kinda looks like something. Next is to do a test upper door skin to find all my elevations and do a body sweep. Ray

Attached Files:

Tim_with_a_T, JOYFLEA and clunker like this.
  17. metalman

metalman

Great thread. I built 80/90% of a 32 Vicky body several years ago so I know how much work it is. Least I had a roached out cowl and tudor door frames to start with, ground up is...well, wow.
    Curious, what equipment are you using? I see an english wheel, slip roller and a bead roller in the background, anything else?

18. Roadsir

Roadsir

Says the guy with a 7 year build thread and first 12 pages are small thumbnail photos:confused: Just sayin'. Blue One I really like your build thread, and I really like this thread. The HAMB is pretty light on tech these days and even if a project doesn't get finished, or if it sold off, there's a helluva lot of useful knowledge being shared. Some folks are in it for the challenge and really don't want, see or envision ever driving an end product down the road.
    Carry on!

kidcampbell71 and JOYFLEA like this.
  19. It depends .
    When I click on them, it opens in a new window. I have to go into tiles, close the new window, back to tiles, open the main thread then repeat the process for the next pic. So it's a bit of a pain. Is it worth it- sure. But it ain't easy and it gets old real quick.

Maybe the parts of 7000 views are from leaving and then having to hit the page again to see the next pic, Each pic, every time.

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  20. real nice work! IMG_3910.JPG IMG_3911.JPG IMG_3912.JPG

The 39 guy, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Ok well see here's the thing. 7 years, that's true. I started in 2010 and have lost 2 years to medical issues.
    I'm healthy now and carrying on.
    When I started, the Hamb was in the old format I believe and my build thread carried over to the new format.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the old format didn't give the option to post large pictures or else I didn't know how to do so.

In any case I have started to go back to my build thread starting at page 1 and change the pictures to large size ( for what it's worth) and maybe it will make you happy.
    I'll complete that when I have some down time at work :D
    At least once I knew how to post full sized pictures I did so and wasn't too stubborn to do so.
    It's odd to me for someone not to do that now as it's so easy.
    And really nice to look at.

I agree completely on the tech and also really appreciate the skill being displayed here.
    The large sized pictures are a pleasure to view and easier to see the top notch quality of the work being done here.
    Thanks to tb33anda3rd for posting them.
    I guess that I just don't understand Frankinplymouth's reluctance to post large sized pictures:confused:

loudbang and Roadsir like this.
  22. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

Today i did a mock up panel for the left front cowl. Turned out OK and with a little tweaking it will make a good pattern. I had some dies made years back for the 32 style line. They are half profile so i can go wide or narrow. Also did a little remodel on my HF wheel. Ray IMG_3916.JPG IMG_3917.JPG IMG_3918.JPG IMG_3919.JPG IMG_3920.JPG

coast40, 1952B3b23, koolkemp and 4 others like this.
  23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks for posting your pictures full size I will enjoy this thread even more now!

coast40, Blue One and loudbang like this.
  24. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for posting your projects and show casing your mad skills . WOW

loudbang likes this.
  25. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After wiping the drool from my lips, I just have one question. What the Hell kind of beer do you drink ? This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt. No one but GOD could have bestowed that caliber of talent on a builder. I'm just another super excited 70 year-old observer.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    FlyFisher and loudbang like this.
  26. Pete

Pete

Amazing.

46international likes this.
  27. let's just get back to the car.......

brEad and JOYFLEA like this.
  28. frankinplymouth

frankinplymouth
    from oregon

IMG_3929.JPG IMG_3930.JPG IMG_3928.JPG IMG_3927.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  29. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those tools are amazing. Can't wait to make them and tell everyone at work I thought of it!!!! ;) jk. Love this thread

falconsprint63 and loudbang like this.