Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rare license plates, who has 'em what's the value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Chebby, Apr 3, 2006.

1. 53Chebby

53Chebby

Any time I go into an antique store I always go and hit the record section and if any of the dealers have license plates I hit those up also. So about five years ago I was in my local antique mall and a dealer has two milk crates full of 50's and sixties license plates so I started digging trying to find a set of '53 plates from Iowa that I could throw on my car every once in a while. Instead I happened to find one of what I believe to be the coolest set of plates that could have been made. Here they are.

Now my question is, what do you guys think would be a fair price for these. When I bought them I swore I was never gonna' sell them, but I really want to get my pick-up on the road and these are just one of the things I'm considering getting rid of. I realize 1969 396's might not be traditional, but you guys always seem to have a fair understanding of market values and I figured some of you might get a kick out of the plates.

Thanks,
    Josh

Attached Files:

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I am saying this out of complete ignorance - not spite or anything malicious. But what makes those so cool? I don't get the significance of 396?

I've seen both the Tennesse shaped plates and the 1932 copper Arizona plates sell for stupid money. I happened to find a matched set of 1932 Missouri plates still in paper - looked like they had never been issued. A little rusted around the edges from the paper collecting moisture but they were buried behind some misc. stuff and dirt cheap.

3. I got a '54 Kansas plate thats shaped like the state of KANSAS.

If I could have any plates in the world I'd like to have a '54 Oregon (a multnoma co plate) and a '54 colorado ( a denver plate). But I know that when one comes up it'll be gold, damn the luck (in advance) :D:D

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

If your V8 has few more cubes, these might work. Unfortunately NJ has no YOM law. All ya need is a dot between the 8 and the 4. :D

5. 53Chebby

53Chebby

No offense taken, I just thought it was cool for 1969 plates to have 396 on them for the displacement of Chevy's big block motor that was used then. If I were into muscle cars I would think it would be pretty cool to run plates like these on a Chevelle or something from 1969.

Apparently a model company thought so too. These are pictures of one of those Maisto metal models that I bought last year, simply because it had two sets of plates with it. These Iowa stickers that are very similar to mine and another state. I didn't understand why they had 1971 plates on a '66 Chevelle, but the similarities were kind of cool.

Attached Files:

6. If anyone has a state-shaped Tennessee tag for a motorcycle, I'd be interested. Any year would be fine.

This is going on my '38 as soon as it arrives......

Attached Files:

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Plate prices car be funny, the ones you think will bring good money don't all the time, and crappy ones go through the roof sometimes. I once bought a box of 1938-40 New York plates,(buy PAIRS if you plan on a resale) and there was one odd single in with them. No year, just ALASKA stamped on it, went for well over $100.00 turned out to be a pre WWII truck plate. Stuff like that helps fund stuff.:)