Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wanted your opinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Feb 11, 2017.

1. topher5150

topher5150

So I went to look at a 41 Ford today...I know taking on an old car like this is a big commitment, and I really want this car I was just wondering should I let something like replacing floor boards scare me away

wicarnut likes this.
  2. And welcome to the HAMB. You've come to the right place.

If replacing floor boards is the main issue - you've got a keeper.
    You can do it and learn along the way.
    Got any pics of the little gem?
    Sedan, coupe , or what??????????????

3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

lothiandon1940 likes this.

4. topher5150

topher5150

No pics yet my camera phone only takes pics of me. It's a sedan. Any major body work I might just farm out

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Floorboards are too easy. And better, yet, if you don't know how, you will have fun learning.

6. topher5150

topher5150

Thanks for the reassurance some times I one think situations and scare my self out of wanting to do it

steveabilly likes this.
  7. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

So much time ( years ) and money ( Thousands ) and frustration ( Immeasurable ) rebuilding a car , and when it is finally completed , the finished product will be worth about 25 - 40% of the money spent. which means you can take less than half the cash and buy a finished car and let someone else absorb the loss , you get to drive away the first day smiling, make improvements as is convenient. ( my opinion )

8. topher5150

topher5150

I took this screen shot from Google maps off of my Facebook. It looks chopped but it's not FB_IMG_1486843221317.jpg

Solarman, junkers72 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That is not an appropriate project for someone who doesn't have the skills to replace floorboards himself. You asked for my opinion, you got it.

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Oh shit George you grumpy old geezer.
    I suppose you were born with an electrode whip hanging off your belly button. :)
    Small investment. A perfect project for a new comer. You guys that are pricing out this project are forgetting the most important return. Experience.

In my old age...
    Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked.....
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do.....
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Topher,
    Don't let floor board work scare you. Its a perfect place to begin.
    That car sure looks like it chopped to me. Please keep us updated on your progress and failures. Don't be ashamed to ask for help. We will help you every step of the way.

In my old age...
    Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked.....
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do.....
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

12. topher5150

topher5150

It's a pic from the Google car if you look from different angles it looks different

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

First, ask yourself why you want to get into old cars. Do you like them or do you admire the attention they get?

If it were me, with your limited abilities, I'd search some of the builds on here. You've only been here a day. You haven't seen anything yet. See what guys are doing and notice the time and money involved. After all that, you may decide to jump in. Shit, you may discover that's not the car you REALLY want.

My #1 rule is get into something you like. Choosing something for the wrong reason is a sure journey to failure.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

George X2. Floor pan replacement is not a fun job. Expensive and very time consuming. Not a job for a newbie. My approach is buy the best rust free car you can afford. Saves lots of time, money and aggrevation the long run.

Gary

48fordnut, wicarnut and falcongeorge like this.
  15. mike bowling

mike bowling

Find some guys in your area to hang with and "apprentice" for a while. Once you've got some shop time under your belt and you've asked questions and looked at other peoples cars ( and, yes, problems) then decide what you want to do. Re-doing a car is a LOT of time and work committed. Not much glory in working with old rusty, greasy stuff - that comes later. ( but if you're like me, a lot of the fun is bringing the parts back to life and useable once again).
    I started out with a Model A- plenty of them around, and a real basic "erector set" kind of car. Tons of parts available. Perfect for learning ( I've had 6 more since!)( and I'm STILL learning ; one of the joys of life )
    Good luck with your decision.
    .02 cents worth from Mass.

wicarnut and falcongeorge like this.
  16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

topher5150; Let someone else have the opportunity to "save" that 41. It will turn into a money pit in short order. Save your money and buy a more desirable car.

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

18. That car looks like it needs alot more than floorboards. And see what parts are missing and see if replacements are available. Do you have a garage to do the work in? Ya got tools to do the work? Farming all the work out will cost you alot more than the car. Good luck whatever ya choose. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Listen to Pat ^

lothiandon1940 and Hudson31 like this.
  20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Perfect car IF you want to learn how much work it is to build one and how much pride is involved in driving it afterwards. Not a good choice if you just want an old car to drive and can afford a driver quality ride.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Squablow and Petejoe like this.
  21. You'll never learn how to work on an old car until you dive in. Confucius say: "When you feel like you cannot eat anymore ice cream, switch to doughnuts"

22. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

You've got enough support on here to walk you through it. Just don't ruin the car, and we won't think any less of you. No pressure. Lol

chryslerfan55 and koolkemp like this.
  23. dan31

dan31

41's don't bring a ton of money when they are done and missing parts may not be found easily. I don't know your skill level but getting in too deep on a first project could turn you off on the hobby altogether. Look around and maybe you'll find a car you like that just needs some freshening up for the right money. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Gman0046 and falcongeorge like this.
  24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

my thoughts exactly. I know the OP isn't going to listen, cause when he asked for advice, that wasnt really what he wanted to hear, but that car is not an entry level project.

25. Yes, trim wise 41 is a one year only for the grille. That better be all there and in good shape. Floors are a good place to start since they are not exposed bodywork. What is your definition of "completely gone"? is it just under the drivers feet? That is common and easy. Does it cover more that 30" of the floor and extend into the subrails? Lots mo harder. Do the doors open and close ok? Lots of bind means lots of sag and maybe more issues.

Petejoe and falcongeorge like this.
  26. OK, my turn............here is a link to a build that may be close to what you are looking at with that '41. Why don't you follow along with his resurrection and then see if you can get an idea as to what typically is involved in one of these projects and how it may be similar to your proposed project forgoing the frame swap of course.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/rusty-47-ford-reserection.466490/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    upspirate likes this.
  27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Some better entry level choices, I will try to outline the reasons why...and the idea isn't to buy these cars specifically, more to show what a good entry level project is.

If the claims about minimal rust are accurate, this is a decent one, most of the heavy lifting looks to be done, it appears to be fairly complete. solid aftermarket support for '53-'56 F100s means parts aren't too hard to find, and its a popular body style, so if you decide you are in over your head at some point, its not as hard to get out.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1953-ford-f-100.1049526/

Not a popular bodystyle, but at least its all there, and the body looks to be pretty decent...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1937-ford-humpback-4-dr-sedan.1050067/

Again, fairly complete car, claims to be fairly rust free, and its a coupe, which is generally considered a more popular body style. '47's and ''48s share a lot of trim pieces, fairly solid aftermarket support...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1947-ford-coupe-price-drop.1036459/

Again, looks like most of the heavy lifting is done, not real HAMB friendly, but lots of good parts here, car doesn't look like it needs a lot to be a runner...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1947-ford-coupe.1007463/

beginners always want to start with field cars, I think usually because the initial buy-in is cheap. Its backwards, beginners need to start with a good basic package that needs basic mechanical work and maybe paint. I am assuming you at least have a decent garage to work in.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  28. teejay99

teejay99

Many years ago I was all hot to trot on building a 51 Ford Prefect into a gasser as the car could be had for $225 , bone stock , licenced and running every day driver of the seller .
    A good buddy ( he still is ) suggested I sit down and accurately calculate what it would cost and how long it would take ...........then , double the money and triple the time . " You might be close , he said " Thankfully I passed on the idea .

lothiandon1940 and wicarnut like this.
  29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2