Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 223 questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andrew Snodgrass, Feb 8, 2017.

1. IMG_7697.JPG IMG_7696.JPG i am working on a 1962 F100 unibody which has a 223 powering it. I was wondering if anyone knew what the plugs below where the carb bolts to the intake are for. I am assume it's some kind of basic egr system or a summer and winter setting to get the motor to warm up faster but i have no real idea. I also am wondering if there is any upgrades I should do. I kind of like this motor thus far and it's something that no one else around here has which is always cool. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

2. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I don't have the answer to your question but I wanted to welcome you to this site. I have a '60 Edsel with a 223 and am very happy with it. It has plenty of power for my needs and gets about 15 mpg. There are lots of guys here who will be able to answer any and all of your questions. By the way, where are you from? Good luck with your truck....

PICT0035.JPG

PICT0046.JPG

3. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

I have a 223 as well and both of those fittings are plugged off on my manifold so I'm interested in what they are for but cant help you.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

62 was the first real year of PVC vales in California. Even tho I saw a few on 61's. Other states may not have required them yet but many times manufactures would make them all the same.

5. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

my first thought would be the front port and the plug on the left started as a pvc setup and the added length on the plug made it deliver more evenly to the cylinders and the rear port and its plug would be where the power brakes got its vacume if the car came with them

6. Im from Fremont, Ne and this is what I'm working on

IMG_7690.JPG

The short plug was in the port on the left. The other plug with the nipple was in the port on the right. The port on the right is open to the heat riser chamber and the intake.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

I had a '62 as well that I bought from the original owner. Here's a pic after being rebuilt. The front hole was plugged on mine and the rear went to the PCV. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

I never was a fan of the silent lash rockers the earlier adjustable ones were better.

town sedan likes this.
  9. town sedan

town sedan

The later police/taxi 223's still came with the non-silent lash system. At least that's what the 1964 shop manual shows.
    -Dave

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The plug that goes into the exhaust passage, may be for an exhaust heated choke. Some Fords had a steel pipe going to the automatic choke mechanism. Your motor must have had a hand choke or some other type of automatic choke.

11. I have manual choke set up right now. That seems to make the most sense.

12. I also have a uni with a 223
    great little engine

13. I have been looking for some mods todo. The main I see is to swap the dissy for one out of a 300. Anything else you would recommend?

14. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Mine was pretty gutless with the stock single barrel. A dual carb intake and headers would definitely help.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app