Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2017 Banger Meet - Valentines and 4 Cylinders***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jan 30, 2017.

1. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

I am getting all my posts done at one time.
    So I bought a Mallory distributor for parts but it's too nice to break up. It is for an MG, 4cyc and CCW rotation. Has anyone converted one of these to fit an A? It almost fits. How would one go about milling about .050" off the lower case?
    It was way cheaper than early ones made for an A and now I see others like this out there for sale at reasonable prices.
    s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

biggeorge likes this.
  2. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Thanks for the recommendations and advice Old Dawg

Old Dawg likes this.
  3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

4. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Rick,
    Have you unwrapped that new rare set-up yet?? :) Scott

5. G Baese

G Baese

"...can't imagine them doing that lettering in a production head shop though..."

Then again... its just an ad.

simmonsad1s.jpg

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Does it also cure the common cold, arthritis, hair loss?o_O
    Did this Ad's writer later go on to work for J.C.Whitney?

Old Dawg likes this.
  7. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Yeah, I've got it all ready to go at this time ! All rebuilt and painted....red , of course, eh..ha !
    Had to 'learn' how to repair and polish aluminum covers and 2x2 intake that goes with. Was fun and turned out great.
    Also polished / smoothed combustion chambers. They came out nice at 120cc. According to Jim B book chart, looks to be about 6.5cr or so. Special 'secret sauce' on polished intake runners. Lots of room to cut from face due to deep fly cuts to increase cr if wanted. Now got to decide what to do with IT .lol
    Thanks for sharing pics of your new 'toy'. Sure looks good and should run great !

waxhead likes this.
  8. Muttley

Muttley

Thanks for the heads up, I'll get a hold of him.

Sounds good, thanks for the link.

9. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Now you just need to post some pics of your new toy so we have something to drool over.

10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

OK Real Racers out there..........
    Have a look at this...... John think of all the engine stuff we could print! :cool:

11. blgitn

blgitn

That's cool!

12. Bluto,
    I was attending a manufacturing show this week looking for casting houses and rapid prototyping plastics.
    What I found was a new technique for prototyping patterns by 3D printing a sand mixture.
    It leaves a rough finish compared to good wooden pattern/core process, but allows for lower cost and quick turn around.
    Not too much other than that, found another source for diamond coating lifters and cutting tools.
    OK, off the shop, have the blanks to start another head for the next motor.

J
    BTW, I have installed a couple of the Miller High-Speed heads by Serr. These are top quality units and been refined over several years. Rumor has it, a 2 port Serr head beat the 4 port Rileys at a local hill climb.

Dannerr and waxhead like this.
  13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have generated waxes for investment casting 3D that give a good finish.
    We used ceramic lifters in a couple racers in the past. BUT crazy expensive.
    This has promise for lifters, pistons and several other racing items like timing gears(not sprockets) if it all pans out
    Really good for prototyping short run parts ..... imagine generating finished ready to use parts from a drawing only.

Dannerr likes this.
  14. Bluto,
    yes, I have been looking at this technology very closely. Since I use SolidWorks to develop the parts I make, I have a library of parts to use. I may be old fashioned, I still do not believe in composites enough to invest heavily in the printer. In the past, I had done quite a bit of development work in the firearms industry. Mainly I was tasked to retool and start production of an old line of handguns. Part of the investigation was to implement sintered metal castings, aka MIM. One of the parts investigated was the barrels, the original process was multiple pieces welded together and machined. In short, the MIM parts would fail explosively, the welded parts would fail but not fragment. Did I mention that I like destructive testing? What I ended up with was making parts from full billets of material and machining lights out overnight.
    While I have not seen any parts made yet, directly out of the printer ready to run, I think this will come in the future and all manufacturing around the world is in for a revolution.

John

Dannerr likes this.
  15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I'm not suggesting you buy a printer. Only think. They suggest that the parts printed are far stronger that those printed with previous 3D material ...... I don't like seeing things destroyed ..... I have too much to do in my life.
    I'm thing about heat retention in some items and light, strong, and very wear and heat resistant in others

I won't by a printer but rent time as this procedure is proven in the future. This just started to come forth in the last year. Before this I wouldn't have trusted 3D generated parts for ANYTHING STRUCTURAL but like I said Waxes for an investment casting is drop-dead easy.

Dannerr likes this.
  16. Ture enough, we think along the same lines.
    My only problem with investment casting is the patterns required for the generation of the ceramic molds.
    This was also a standard practice in manufacturing and is moving over to MIM for select parts.
    Everything in moderation and in the correct application.

John

Dannerr likes this.
    fourd likes this.
  18. Wardog

Wardog

IMG_2496.jpg A friend of mine has just finished printing this intake manifold for a knucklehead Harley. He is making it to use as a casting pattern but with this technology he might be able to cut out the casting.

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

just got this

Attached Files:

20. RussTee

RussTee

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

22. RussTee

RussTee

23. RussTee

RussTee

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

When I lived in the Baldwin Hill of Los Angeles, as a kid, I remember one of those used by a gardener to carry his mower and tools. To this day whenever I see one I think of that old guy and his old work truck almost 60 years ago.

25. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

slv63, biggeorge, Dannerr and 2 others like this.
  26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

nice engine !
    great looking knuckle also

27. howdy.....and don't forget that significant other.....to keep those wheels a turning !

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I thought cantainers sweat ! ...............

29. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Only if you tape over the vents.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr likes this.
  30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ok , good to know