Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering wheel... HELP!!!!!'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steveabilly, Feb 9, 2017.

1. steveabilly

steveabilly

I just tried taking off the steering wheel off my 1953 Cadillac using a bolt pulley set and the bolt holding down the wheel split (see picture) What can I do???
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Looks like the puller screw had a taper on the end of it, should've been a flat faced adapter instead. The best and safest way is a new column shaft, I wouldn't even try to repair that damage.

scotty t and steveabilly like this.
  3. steveabilly

steveabilly

Thanks, any idea where I could get one?

4. not familiar with where baldwin park is. Maybe post a want add on here if you can.

steveabilly likes this.

5. Looks pretty dry....did you lubricate it in any way prior to attempting to remove it?

steveabilly likes this.
  6. steveabilly

steveabilly

Yeah I soaked it with WD40 like a week prior

7. steveabilly likes this.
  8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

WD-40 is not a penetrant. Use liquid wrench or PB blaster, and maybe a little heat to expand.

9. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Next time try Aero Kroil in the orange spray can. It will weep and penetrate like you would not think was possible. Wonderful stuff.

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Its fairly simple,farmer fix at home,,,;take a nut that is same as one that goes on the staft when its OK, slit nut by hack sawing it in 1/2, place nut 1/2s on each side so threads line up/may need washer or what ever. Big pair of visegrips and mash back in place. Replace a good nut {with notchs in outer flats made to let bolts pass,but nut not all the way down. So there is space for wheel hub to start to left. Now flat stock of at lest 1/4in. thick/drill two hole at same spacing as hub. Place across new nut tyhats on shaft an put bolts in hole an in to hub. be even with screwing them down,after hub brakes being stuck,take it off. As long as new nut works,it should be fine to add a new wheel=only needs to keep wheel on splines an be snug/not hang off wheel unside down LOL

RODIST, 302GMC, BJR and 5 others like this.
  11. Next to Irwindale

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    steveabilly likes this.
  12. I always leave the loosed nut in place while getting to wheel to loosen up. That Kroil oil they talk about is unbelievable.

steveabilly, 302GMC and Squablow like this.
  13. 3340

steveabilly likes this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

Me too. Not much help now that it's broke but it's a good tip for the future. Back off the big nut and push off of the nut with the puller (I usually make the nut flush with the end of the column post) gives you more meat to push off of. Then once it pops you can back that center nut all the way off.

And as Dana Barlow said, once you get the wheel off and if you can get the end of the post back into shape enough to thread a new nut onto it, it's probably OK to use, it only has to be able to keep the wheel from lifting off of the splines, doesn't need a ton of PSI like a lug nut or head stud or anything.

Although getting the wheel off now might further damage the tube, then you're looking for a new one.

steveabilly and 3340 like this.
  15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^And use this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If the shaft is wasted might as well cut it off flush, Kroil, heat, puller...........
    DSCF7680.JPG DSCF7679.JPG

steveabilly and Torkwrench like this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used Aerokroil since 1967 in the Power Plant industry. One thing that is supposed to be better is 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone.

steveabilly likes this.
  17. I agree with Paul. P.B. buster is the best thing out there.Smells like crap but works. I use it on our sink facut that swings back and forth. It get crudded up with calician here . Wife bitches about the smell but likes it when the sink facut works again. LOL. Bruce.

steveabilly likes this.
  18. 20-20.... your puller was not centered in the opening.
    Good thing is you only cracked it on one side.
    Bad thing is you did not get the wheel off.
    There is a burr on the inside of the crack that will have to be removed.
    take two small pieces of hard wood to protect the shaft threads and using Nebraska plies (not the Chinese vice-grip version)slowly collapse the shaft then use the Dana ^ idea of splitting a nut to thread on the shaft to pull it tight.
    If you have a MIG welder tack the crack on the inside and remove the nut.
    Reinstall a NEW nut and use that to pull off the wheel.
    On the one I did both sides cracked....take your time do not use the "force" method.

steveabilly and Andy like this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

Also, once your puller has pressure on it, a couple hammer taps on the end of the big puller stud help it pop loose. Cranking harder sometimes strips threads or walks the little foot to one side. Get pressure on it, tap tap, another eighth turn, tap tap, and so on.

steveabilly likes this.
  20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Not too bad a fix, split a nut in half and with vise grips or clamp form the thread back round till full nut works proper, machine a plug to fit hole and tig weld(fuse) it in place. if wires need to go thru the shaft then make a tubular plug instead of solid. Im in Gardena if you need help and could bring me the collum

clunker, tikiwagon13 and steveabilly like this.
  21. Andy

Andy

I don't think a little heat would hurt. I have been using candle wax to free stuck things. It is truly amazing. Put a little heat on it and melt some wax on it and it will help.
    The previous three posts are great!

steveabilly likes this.
  22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Damn that's ugly.....I love the split nut idea to squeeze it back!
    My 2 cents: A little heat from a simple propane torch (from the looks of that wheel it seems there's no plastic to melt), then some penetrating oil, then plant both your feet on the floorboards, grip the wheel with hands at 3 and 9 O'clock, lift your body weight with your arms, and rock left and right with the wheel.

Don't know if you can fix that split, but I'd probably try to put a new nut on it after squeezing it closed and then try to gas weld it from the inside.

steveabilly likes this.
  23. steveabilly

steveabilly

Thanks everyone, I gotta admit I was a little frustrated and depressed when this happened but all your ideas gave me hope, I'm going to start trying them and hopefully I can get this done

24. steveabilly

steveabilly

UPDATE!!!!!!!
    I just took off the wheel. Thank you everyone for your ideas, now to fix and paint the steering wheel before putting it back on

[​IMG]

25. Squablow

Squablow

Success! Thanks for updating this. How did you get the end back together? Let us know what method worked.

clunker and steveabilly like this.
  26. Looks like you could tig weld that split, run a die over it and you'll be good.
    Don't forget to leave the nut on loosely if using this method, unless you like getting hit in the face by a fast- moving steering wheel.

28. steveabilly

steveabilly

It's still split, but I'm going to do the nut split in half method, now I just gotta befriend someone with a tig welder LOL