Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What's up with Hot Rod Magazine lately?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

I figured if I ever got one for the Falcon I would paint it red and put " ACME TURBONIQUE" on the side.

falcongeorge likes this.
  2. I finally got around to reading my new issue of Hot Rod Magazine over the weekend and I gotta say it is one of the best they have produced in a while to this reader. I enjoyed the article about the streamlined dragsters a lot. I had forgotten how many there actually were. I got a chuckle out of how many of them have ended up at Don Garlits museum. I haven't been to Garlit's museum in ages so I guess it's time for a re-visit.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Actually, it is different. Seeing the type from a graphics artist perspective.

WARNING! WARNING! BORING ART STUFF COMING.
    The type size is the same, but the letter spacing (yes the space between each letter) is tighter, more letters per line and the leading (the space between the lines) is smaller. So now you have this block of black mess for which all of us with ADHD can only pick out every third word...

Tman likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I'll forward this to a couple of the staffers...I don't know if it will help, but it's worth a shot.

btw I did notice the letter spacing and leading was different. I just didn't know it made that much difference in readability.

5. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I was impressed with Squirrels car in Hot Rod magazine!...and appreciated all the skills depicted....I'm pretty much an 'old school' guy, and honestly, I can't relate to all the computer stuff and gadgets on a lot of the cars in Hot Rod magazine these days...kind of got away from us who ''stay'' in a particular era of hot rodding, and what we could do in our own garages without having to take several courses in computer technology just to start the thing or figure anything out....maybe a lot of guys like that sort of stuff, being 'modern' and all, but.....
    If they would aim the magazine at those of us who know mechanical skills from an ordinary ''hands on'' approach once in a while, I'd consider the magazine again with a smile.... I felt left out for the past 10+ years with all the 'out of reach'' skills that even a master electrician would become confounded at....if the 'ordinary' guy can't figure this stuff out...not sure if the term 'hot rod' applies anymore to the subject matter.........my thoughts of course, but ....I'm hopeful that the 'new' direction of the magazine can relate to ''all'' of us as the hot rod mentality was meant to.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

When I was getting into it (early-mid 70s) they had lots of basic hands-on how to articles, explaining how stuff works, and how to work on it. But that was when cars were simple.
    The problem isn't that the magazine has changed, it's that the cars have changed. And the money is usually in the late models...it was back then, it is today.

I'll keep doing what I can to keep old technology alive, though

7. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I find I read Hot Rod and just thumb through Street Rodder and it's twice as thick.

Gary

HemiDeuce, Finn Jensen and tfeverfred like this.
  8. Yea me too, but Street Rodder seems to be loosing some of the billet and getting a bit more traditional.

9. 5window

5window

I just stopped getting SR altogether. It was just turning into "How to Install Products We Were Given By Advertisers" and nothing I could really use on my cars. Seemed like it was either ads or infomercials.

c2355, mkebaird, warbird1 and 2 others like this.
  10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I actually quit taking SR a while back but they gave me such a good price I started again. I remember why I quit again now. You are right 5window that is all SR is about.
    Gary

11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the late '70s when I got the sickness in me bad, Gray Baskerville was my man and I tried to understand all of Pat Ganahl's tech stuff, and I could get an issue for $1.50 and read all about stuff that I could only dream about. I was about 13 or 14 when I started reading HR regularly as a subscriber with the November 1979 issue. I have old stacks of HR, CC, CKD, all sitting in my garage. I haven't subscribed in years since they went to being infomercials and scenester crap. I'll give them another chance I think, I stopped drinking sodas, so why not. :)

Tman likes this.
  12. 5window

5window

Well, crap. SR just sent me an offer of 36 issues plus a wall clock for $24. That's only 67 cents an issue and surely I will be able to find something in there worth 67 cents? Tempting. And who doesn't need a cheap clock?

tfeverfred likes this.
  13. They keep giving me free subscriptions to HR and Street Rodder. I usually read them in the 30 seconds from the car to the house coming home from work then throw them out after laying down all the bills on the counter. This is the first issue in several years that I plan on spending an evening reading. I have a huge magazine collection, probably stops in early 90s. Just not interested in computerized mod motors, billet everything, tech articles that are nothing more than reprinted manufacturers installation manuals. I have enuf old real tech articles on getting a good old junk yard part and adapting it to a hot rod to keep me happy for a long time. All car magazines are owned by one company (TEN) now and their editorial model is aimed 100% at selling advertiser's parts, not serving interests of true hot rodders.

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

Sign of the times? After reading that the new HRM has some decent reading in it I went out looking for one at our local stores - it's nowhere to be found. There's Old Skool Rods, Diesel whatever, and Concealed Carry Monthly, but no Hot Rod!?!? What's this world coming too?
    Fortunately, my wife works at a dental office and has a patient who forwards a lot of his car magazines to me when he's done with them including HRM. I thought the best thing HRM added was the "We'll Fix It" series. I almost always learn something from that, whether it's actual electrical/mechanical stuff or just the approach to the fix. And of course, Marlan Davis - good overall info there too. I've gotten kinda fond of the Drag Week coverage too.
    My subscribing days ended a few years ago, not sure if I'm coming back.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

IMO, niche magazines seem to concentrate on what's popular. Maybe, just maybe, traditional Hot Rods aren't as popular as we think they are. Just a thought.

16. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

As far as I'm concerned, this thread can be closed right here as Fred has nailed it in spades.

hotroddon and falcongeorge like this.
  17. Yep, I'll bet in the grand scheme of things, the "Traditional Hot Rod Purists" are a pretty small number

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  18. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Hey Guys… Hot Rod Magazine staffer here… On the advertising side (I know, I know).

Anyways, interesting read for sure on both sides of the argument. A few thoughts…
    1. I definitely have high hopes for Hot Rod Magazine with Evan Perkins at the helm, Evan is a good friend of mine and is a young, enthusiastic Hot Rodder who truly gets it. Are you going to see some late model stuff in the magazine, of course, but I would venture to say that these impressive last few issues are a good sign of what is to come for the book.

2. As much as I hate to say it myself, Hot Rod Magazine is NOT a TRADITIONAL Hot Rodding Magazine. You have to understand that we are only a small portion of Hot Rods readership. We have to tow that line of appealing to the guy who wants to read about the new Hellcat, as well as you guys who wants to learn about rebuilding a flathead. The quote above hit the nail on the head. We’re car guys, Hot Rodders! If all you care about is traditional Hot Rods that’s fine, but you can’t tell me you aren’t going to learn something reading about LS fuel injection or appreciate the technology on some late model muscle car, that’s Hot Rodding guys! If you want to read a traditional Hot Rodding Magazine pick up the latest issue of Hot Rod Deluxe! That magazine is absolutely incredible and needs our support more than ever. Hop Up and Rodder’s Journal both hit my mailbox every month but those guys will be the first to tell you, it’s tough only appealing to that niche market.
    You guys all know the direction that print media is “slowly” heading, we’re discussing this on the HAMB for crying out loud! You have to realize that advertisers, as well as readers, are what keep print magazines afloat. Do our industry, our passion, and legacy brands like Hot Rod (and Street Rodder;) a favor, buy a magazine and support the advertisers so we can keep these brands alive. As much as you might hate seeing multiple Comp Cams articles, they are keeping Hot Rod Magazine in your hands.

We can all sit here and bitch about how magazines like Hot Rod are not catering to me, and only me. All that is going to accomplish is these magazines continuing to be cut out, one by one, and where is that going to leave the future of this hobby we all love so much.

With ALL of that being said, I hear your frustrations guys and do my damndest everyday to make our voice heard within the walls of this corporate monster. RIP Rod & Custom

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    typo41, Tman, warbird1 and 5 others like this.
  19. rjones35

rjones35

Seems like all the car mags that I use to think were cool are mostly ads now, Takes the fun out of them for me, I get enough ads everywhere else, every day, all the time, nonstop!!!

20. Fordors

Fordors

Well said. As you mention we all have our likes and dislikes and want our own personal magazine but unless Hot Rod, or any other, reaches a wide audience it is doomed.
    I guess I was a bit hasty when I made my late model comment, there has to be room for all so HR can continue.

21. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

While I see the difference in coverage between "traditional" hot rodders and the rodders of today, I see no better way to introduce the traditional to the young guys of today. While looking at the articles geared towards the electronic stuff, the young folk have no choice but to look through and see the traditional hot rods.
    An additional benefit to introducing the young to the traditions of our day is to help develop a possible customer base so the we will have more folks looking to buy our cars when we're no longer using them...

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for stepping in to help us reader types understand (may not always agree) what it takes to put out a magazine like HOT ROD

clunker, i.rant and rjones35 like this.
  23. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I guess if you want a TRADITIONAL Hot Rodding magazine get Hot Rod Deluxe.

clunker likes this.
  24. squirrel

squirrel

I like lots of stuff, so I read most of every issue of Hot Rod. It is neat to keep up with new technology, even if I don't plan to use it on my cars.

I do get a bit tired of the niche magazines, actually....and I don't read every thread on the HAMB, either.

(can I say that here?)

bowie and i.rant like this.
  25. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Squirrel nailed it.:D........again;)

26. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I can kinda see the point now that it's stated....the cars we are building in our own garages today, "were" the innovative and forward thinking cars of long ago, that we try to emulate in the ''here & now" in a backward glance...hence, we are building 'traditional' hot rods, where Hot Rod Magazine is sparking the car interest in 'modern day' hot rodder enthusiasts of 'our' day and what car innovation is going in forward motion, in the same style they did back in the 50' & 60's....I never really thought of it as 'forward' thinking because I was always focused on the "past" aspect of it, and what I envisioned as 'normal' car skills.

I do acknowledge that not everyone wants an old styled hot rod, ....and prefers the new Hellcats and such as a 'modern day' equivalent so-to-speak as a ''hot rod'' term....there is clearly a line of differences of what the old style hot rods and the 'new' hot rods are, and the vision of each. I'm just very partial to the older style hot rods and what it represented, not to mention I can actually still work on them...not so much the modern stuff, even though they are faster, newer, and usually much more horsepower.

I am grateful for the reminder that Hot Rod magazine is NOT a traditional car magazine as such as I all-to-often considered as a 'general' thought....I suppose it gets cloudy at times of the differences and what a car is supposed to be recognized as in our sphere of things & our wrenching 'the old way' for the most part.....but, times are changing, and will continue to do so....I'm just extremely happy to represent a traditional format with my cars, and probably should leave it at that!;)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    '51 Norm and racer-x like this.
  27. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Keep buying Hot Rod though too. ;)

Speed Gems likes this.
  28. Just got the new issue of Hot Rod in the mail. It's a good one. I always do find some stuff that interests me in every issue, I'll keep my subscription up. I really dig how HRD is evolving.

Like a lot of Hambers, I have interests that aren't really discussed here. Some don't even use gasoline or have wheels. It's big world out there.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

squirrel likes this.
  29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Hopefully, Sutton Speed will use Bill Burke, SEMA hall of fame member, Bonneville 200 MPH club member, father of the belly tank and Hot Rod ad salesman, as a role model.

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Where else do you get the $2500 SBC rebuilds that give you 450hp on 87 octane? Gary