Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 2 post vs.4 post lift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by izzy412, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izzy412

izzy412
    from indiana

:cool:In the springtime I want to get a lift for my barn and am debating between 2 post vs 4 post.I would like to hear pro and con with each any input is appreciated thanks

2. I have one of each - The 4 post is most convenient for car storage, under car detailing, most work can be done on this lift. I have a sliding jack on mine so I can jack the car up to remove wheels or support it for pulling rear end etc.

The 4 post is better for changing wheels and tires, and removing bodies.

they both have their + and - , but If I can only have one, it would be the four post.

Plus the foru post does Not have to be permanently mounted in one spot and I have a wheel kit so I can move it if necessary. the two post needs at least four and prefereably six inches of concrete depth to be safe.

3. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have a Direct Lift 4 post 5 years now and very happy with it. My cars sit low and would have to jack them up to get arms under with a 2 post. I feel my 4 post is stable, did not have to bolt mine down, moves around easily with wheel kit, has HD jack pan for raising car off ramp as needed. I use mine for winter storage, 2 cars, 1 space, works for me. Without a doubt, it's the best tool I've bought myself period, I've become a senior, can't get up and down crawling under cars anymore. What ever you choose, you will say, Why did I wait so long. Good Luck, Enjoy !

4. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Having friends with both I would prefer the four post. I certainly see the benefits of a two post but at 72 crawling around spotting the lift points ain't fun. Since I have no ceiling height to accommodate one I am just a bystander.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dream shop would have at least one of each.
    On a hot rod the 4 post may be better as you can drive the car up on it and don't have to fuss with placing the arms and pads just right under the frame of the rig. The rack for the jacks lets you lift it up and pull wheels or do other work. Having worked with just about every style of hoist over the years I am a bit spooked with the hoists that aren't firmly fastened to the shop floor but I haven't been around any of the movable 4 posts to really know if there is a worry.
    2 post has to have it's own stall but they can be real handy if you work by yourself to lift bodies or other items. Outside of where the pads hit the frame they do give you total access to the whole underside of the rig. The down side and that just popped into my head as I write this and look at my truck in the avatar is that on a lot of older trucks and cars like full fendered pre mid 30's anything it may be a real pain in the butt to set those pads under the rig. I've never had the 48 on a two post hoist that I can remember but it may be a real challenge to do so. It was a challenge to put it on a single post hoist when I had read access to a single post hoist I can remember that.

6. I like my 4 post. Had a 2 post at work it didn't like all my cars.

stillrunners likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never seen any of my former bosses drop a car off of a 4-post lift.

belair, RICH B, Fedman and 1 other person like this.
  8. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

If your intent is simply storage and oil changes go 4 post. If you actually work on your cars get the 2 post.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31Vicky with a hemi and kbgreen like this.
  9. ebfabman

ebfabman

2 post. Takes up less room. Better for a wider range of jobs. Can also be used for storage.

10. RalphG

RalphG
    from florida

I like my 4 post as it does every thing I expected it was it going to do for me. Be sure to get the sliding jack with your lift. Good luck.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

subject has been covered many times here - try a search - some insurance companies will not cover damage occurring while using a lift

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think Ryan deletes a thread on this topic at least once a month. Usually goes something like - "look on garage journal." :D (he doesn't add the smiley emoticon)

13. desotot

desotot

Definitely a 4 post.

14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This is the first time I have seen a thread on these so if there have been many threads on this I am sure I am not the only one that missed them. Personally this has been very helpful and an eye opener for me. Many points I hadn't thought of have been brought up.

hotroddon likes this.
  15. I have a rack and two two posts.
    After twenty years I've never dropped a car off either ;)

I get your point tho. Exhaust and transmission replacements are jobs that suck on a rack. But for quick maintenance the rack had advantages.

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've seen that happen a couple of times on a two post including one occasion where the man's $10,000 Snap On tool box stopped the vehicle from hitting the floor. The box didn't survive it very well. It was ironic because he bought that set to replace another one that he left too close to a truck with a drawer open and lowered the truck onto the drawer, tipping the box over.

I have a 4 post with the wheel kit.

17. Got em both.

Two post for working on the cars.

Four - for routine maintainance (except brake /wheel work)

Storage can be accomplished with either style.

I use my two post unit far more than the 4 post.

Your mileage may differ.

Oldmics

18. Silverplate

Silverplate

image.jpeg I have had a Direct-Lift four post for more than two years. I have the sliding Jack. So far it has allowed me yo do everything I have needed to do. Had an issue with the sliding jack and Direct-Lift took care of it promptly.

izzy412 likes this.
  19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had a Backyard Buddy 4-post lift for 20-years and have used for everything from whee bearings to drive train repair / removals to waxing cars. I've stored cars on it. It's been used almost daily for the last 15-years since I retired. I would buy another in a heart beat, if I had room for it!

20. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have had the basic DirectLift 4 poster for about 10 years, and was thinking about a big 2-post set outside for getting wheels off, brakes etc. Then one day I started looking at my 8K lb fork lift with the 10' forks on it... ran it under the front of the 72 Grand Prix I had at the time, a couple 2x4s under the frame, and voila, picked it up with the forks' engine idling

21. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Between me and my friends, we've got 4 Direct Lifts. One is the long one to pick a truck. Two of the sliding jack units and they all have the tray to use a scissors or bottle jack on. The main disadvantage for us is that you have to raise the lift a bit to get an engine hoist under it. One guy has a really big cherry picker to do vans and heavy trucks. Problem solved, except it take 4 of us to move the cherry picker in a pickup. We're old.

22. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I have one of each with each one having advantages But I just have GOT TO GET one more. A very old muffler shop has a rack where you drive your front wheels into a trough and being mounted on bearings on each side it rolls the length of the rails till the back wheels drop into a second trough. This leaves nearly the entire underside wide open; no arms and no runners. Against the law to sell them but I got pictures and measurements. Another neat drive on lift is at Dusty's in Baily, Texas. He does lots of down in the weeds rides so at one end of his shop the floor steps down 6" and leaves the runners even with the floor--no ramps needed.

23. thanks all........already have on my list to Santa......

24. wutnxt

wutnxt

4 poster helps this old fart get underneath without contortions

25. Have had this 4 post Rotary for about 9 years. Fantastic tool.
    Wish I had bought the rolling jacks though.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. hudson48

hudson48

I vote for the 4 post. Best investment in my garage by far. Easy to work on the cars and extra parking if required.

27. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Of course it would be ideal to have one of each. Having worked in the auto repair business for 45+yrs the 2 post is a better choice if you actually have to work on something. Helped a friend install a couple engine/trans assemblies in a couple of his cars and he had a 4post lift.
    Thing was terrible to work around. Posts in the way, can't easily lean over the fender to reach things plus all metal in the front is in the way of cherry picker. Could have done the job waaay faster with a 2 post.

28. That's it right there!

Some stuff is still easier to do on stands.
    Setting 2 post arms is easier than setting jack stands.
    Driving up on a 2x6 easily gets 99% of stupid low cars high enough to set the arms. There are extensions that raise the pads to the frame so the arms clear running boards and such.

29. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm to old and lazy for a two post lift, my 4 post Bend Pac with a sliding jack works perfect for me.

30. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i like my 4 post . the car sets like it does when driving so you can check noises

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.