Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Ford Ranchwagon.. Woodie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Jul 14, 2013.

1. There is a shop here that cuts and installs glass but they tell you up front that they are not responsible for cracks or breakage.

A pal of mine had them cut the glass for his '55 Chevy,they broke 4 windshields before finally getting one right..

I am firmly convinced with the combined talents of the Strange Days crew you guys can tackle the task at hand and pull it of looking like old pros. HRP

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Actually the headliner was done by my buddy Howie. (he's the one I talked out of retirement) He was just gonna come down and give us pointers, but once he came down he got caught up in the fun and did the whole thing himself. I can't thank him enough... It's beautiful!

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Chaz.Looking good.Please keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We got the last of the interior trim in today. The rear windows are about a mile long and the trim we altered in both height and width to make a reasonable fit. We did some bending and "creative" alterations and finally got it there. Its a friggin lot of glass.
    WINDER.jpg

We also got the steering wheel mounted. Its nice to know that you can take an old, dried out, cracked wheel and make it look new. ( just like in 53 , if that can be considered new.) Most folks would use a custom aftermarket wheel, but I just love that big 'ol thing . Plus it has a 50th Ford anniversary horn button that's just the cats ass! Its amazing how big these old wheels were.
    STEERER.jpg

Next we're on to the front windshield, and the exhaust. I'll prolly take the car to a muffler shop for that as the one thing we don't have at Strange Days is a lift. We are too old to lay on our backs to try to do this .
    On another note its become pretty obvious to us now that "help isn't coming". We're on our own for that windshield.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    36 ROKIT, Stogy and grumpy32 like this.
  5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Coming along very nice! By the looks of you guy's workmanship the windshield will get done fine.;)
    ps; quit putting tools on the seat!! :D

Stogy and Toymont like this.
  6. At Salina a couple of years ago there was a discussion with a guy that owned a 58 chevy wagon and someone else about chopping windshields. One of them said there was a shop that used a laser to cut his. The other said he broke 4 before he got it right. I never have looked into this but surely someone knows who this is.

7. This is an amazing build. The attention to detail is incredible. You have actually given me the confidence in trying to attempt doing my own work instead of paying someone else, and may not be happy with it. I do have a question for you. In an earlier post by HRP he mentioned using the arm rests from Dennis Carpenter. Did you use these and did the holes line up? Thanks for this build thread.

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

HRP never gives bad advice. We did use those armrests. The arm rests were pretty easy to upholster. The screws were a bit short to reach the original mounting holes in the door steel. Longer screws solved that problem. We used the front screw hole. The back one missed by about a half inch. We just drilled a new hole there.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  9. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Just followed all your post, brought back a lot of memories of some the same problems I went through but your looking good now.

10. Thanks for the info. What you stated about HRP is so true. I have read a lot of threads and his added tech info is spot on and very helpful.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Do we have a windshield yet? HRP

12. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

13. Got my fingers cross for you guys. HRP

14. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

We may see if we can get a few junk curved windshields from a glass shop to practice on first.

15. A excellent idea. HRP

16. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Really nice looking car. But the 289 and floor shift auto is a disappointment.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The 289 and the auto tranny don't disappoint us. I want to cruise, not spend my time dinkin' with standard gears. We wanted a reliable engine, not some 80 horsepower flathead boat anchor wallet drain.
    On the other hand, the shifter we're not big on either. We are gonna see if we warm up to it. If not we'll switch it out for something more subtle

18. The guy seems to be very vocal in several threads and making snide remarks but he hasn't taken the time to show any of his work! HRP

FlyFisher likes this.
  19. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I don't mind Danny, Everyone has a different idea of what looks right and works well. I catch a lot of heat for not liking flatties. I LOVE the way they look, but they are fraught with problems of leaking, overheating and cracked blocks. The 289/302 is a reliable, relatively high horsepower small engine. I'll take it over a flattie any day. Auto vs standard is just a matter of personal choice.
    If I was easily offended I'd have never survived on the HAMB !!! Remember my Ford 144 six cylinder threads? Now those were ugly! :)
    Remember this thread? I still laugh reading it!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hot-rodding-the-144-ford-6.145129/
    Well, the 144 Ford six speedster is my next build

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  20. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Hivolt5.0 and Toymont like this.
  21. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

22. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

This particular one is cruise-a-matic ( 65 ,66 ) , note dot in center. The newer ones ( 67 and up ) are select shift, L - S - D . Console shifters are different.

23. I know it's early Sunday afternoon but by the time you read this it will hopefully been a productive day with cutting the windshield. HRP

24. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Well, we're getting close. I located a new windshield in Spokane (about 200 miles from here) for a great price...... 180 bucks. Steve and I are gonna go get it this week.
    The chopping is up to us, so to that end we took the old cracked sideglass that I saved, and began to practice cutting laminated glass. We watched all the videos, and felt pretty intimidated, but we've been down the road of inexperienced lotsa times before!
    Here's the process. mark the cuts, cut from both sides
    1487530387886.temp.jpg and pry the glass till the line fractures.
    1487530943978.temp.jpg

Then heat the area till you can open up the crack just enough to get a razor blade through to cut the clear elastic center

0219171155.jpg

That's it. Kinda nerve wracking, but not that difficult. 1487530169328.temp.jpg

We finish ground the edge with a rol-lock to smooth everything out.
    We did quite a few cuts until we were comfortable with the process... Bring on that windshield! We're ready!

36 ROKIT and grumpy32 like this.
  25. YJ4000

YJ4000

That's great! Looking forward to see how it goes.

Ryan.

26. When I was in retail part of my business was a Art & Frame shop,and I cut literately thousands of pieces of glass during those 40 odd years,rarely did I cut laminate and it was always nerve racking because of the huge sizes I had to work with.

Fortunately I never tried to cut curved glass.

I will tell you a story about a friend and his chopped top VW ~ after you successfully cut your windshield. HRP

27. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

It's been a strange week. Steve and I took off for Spokane to pick up the windshield on Tuesday. We got about 50 miles out of town and ran into a helluva snowstorm. Turned around and came home.
    On Thursday we headed out again and did make the full 200 miles. Pulled into the glass warehouse and started to load the glass. I don't know why, but it just looked wrong to me. I asked for a tape measure and checked it out. Too tall, and too narrow.
    We spent a long time looking through their books, and realized that the glass they had was for a panel truck, not a panel wagon. They didn't have the correct glass, so we drove home empty handed.
    If you've never visited a glass warehouse, It is quite an operation. The folks were amazingly helpful and co-operative. I cant say enough nice about the crew over there.
    Since we don't have glass this week, we got all the fluids and decided to start the wagon.
    I've owned this wagon for 15 years and it has never run in all that time. I bought the engine used with no guarantee what so ever. A total crapshoot.
    We put marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and cranked her up...... ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!... Lotsa smoke because of the Marvel oil, but the sucker ran nicely! We are Stoked!
    Dana took a video on his cell phone and will try to post it here soon.
    This week I'll take the wagon in for an exhaust system, and then all that is really left will be the front glass and a lot of detailing.

36 ROKIT, Johnboy34 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. dancingman.gif Congratulations on the initial start up,exciting huh? :)

Looking forward to the video.HRP

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  29. I'm sure the trip was dissappointing. Would it be wrong to suggest that you find some old windshields to practice on before the real thing? Old glass guys talk about temperature and other things that suggest that expierience is a large part of success. I have confidence in you guys based upon what I have watched you do. I've just listened to a lot of conversations about this subject with not that much success. :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.