Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Sunflower swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sunbeam, Jan 20, 2017.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

From what I hear the Sunflower meet is split between the Coliseum and Hartman arena this year is that right?

2. 347jrfuel

347jrfuel
    from owasso,ok

yes it is split there is supposed to be shuttles running between the two, sounds like the end of the swap meet in one location

3. aircap

aircap

No, those are the Kansas Pavilions and they are not using all 3 buildings anymore. Hence, the addition of Hartman Arena less than a mile away on the west side of I-135, and a half mile south of the Pavilions.

By the way, the Studebaker Driver's Club will be in the same spot on the south wall of Pavilion One (used to be the Sam Fulco Pavilion). We will have free coffee, free Turning Wheels magazines, and probably free nachos or chili depending on the day. Drop by and see me - the fat guy!

4. lukescoupe

lukescoupe
    from oklahoma

I'm confused now

5. lukescoupe

lukescoupe
    from oklahoma

From the pictures on the website it looks like it's in the same place as normal

6. aircap

aircap

7. lukescoupe

lukescoupe
    from oklahoma

8. Mmmmm.... nachos.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Favorite thing of the year. CAN'T WAIT !!!!

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

11. lukescoupe

lukescoupe
    from oklahoma

Your right I just verified with a friend. Its in both locations.

12. aircap

aircap

We wouldn't steer ya wrong...

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Four days away and already feeling the adrenaline building. :D:eek::D

14. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Still no Car Corral ?

15. jrsiron

jrsiron

Outside is car corral

16. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Thanks I'll look for it

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

I'm not sure but I think he means the parking lot. There is always a lot of stuff out there with for sale signs on it.

34toddster likes this.
  18. jrsiron

jrsiron

there is a car corral on their website. South side of building

19. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

20. aircap

aircap

Report: This year with the swap meet split between the single Kansas Pavilion building and Hartman Arena I can say that Friday's traffic was definitely different (and down) from years past. Everything was off to a very slow start this morning with one damn entrance to the place, instead of two, and with the change of putting the "car barn" in the south parking lot that pinched the parking area by a large margin. Lots of vendors dropping out, and of course - the eternal question of late... Will it be back next year? Well - they took my reservation money for 2018, so they better be there. More tomorrow!

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

any pics to share?

22. aircap

aircap

Sorry, no pix. Talked to many vendors this year. 4 said they are not coming back - citing reduced sales and too much BS from the new owners and their rules. I noticed several open spaces with no vendors at all. 3 vendors were forced to move to new spots during the show - one guy moved 3 times. He's not coming back, either.

More reports from the Hartman Arena: security was county Sheriffs checking for pocket knives and contraband? It's a SWAP MEET. Vendors didn't like carrying heavy items up and down the 37 steps to the lower level. Good point? Hartman cleaned their bathrooms several times a day. Kansas Pavilions? NEVER - don't drop your drawers in the stinking pools of urine.

This show is going to die soon, and it might be a good thing.

23. jrsiron

jrsiron

I had the best year that I have ever had. People such as yourself that are disgusted with the pools of urine should either clean it up or shut up and stay home. There are people on a waiting list that would be glad to have the Studebaker booths. The new operators are doing the best that they can. The facilities are rented and the owners set the rules.

24. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

I agree with "jrsiron", we had a very good year also. I appreciate everything the KS Sunflower Swapmeet for Charity did in taking over the swap meet which would not be here if they hadn't. As "jrsiron" stated the charity rents the Pavilion and Hartman Arena and has no control over the "rules" imposed by the owners and management of the buildings or the abuse of vendors and/or spectators that won't help maintain the facilities in a proper order and show respect for others in attendance. I thought foot traffic was up both Friday and Saturday and the vendors I talked with had good sales. The charity did a great job by adding Hartman Arena and providing shuttle busses at no cost to the participants in order to accommodate vendors and attendee's. As far as having to carry parts up and down the stairs at Hartman, there was ground level access to the lower level via the big overhead and walk in doors utilized by many as well as an elevator for personal and parts movement use. No one was forced to carry parts up or down stairs. The charity is assisted by all volunteer staff donating their time and efforts. I am sure positive and constructive criticism as well as your volunteer assistance would be welcome. As in any endeavor, not everyone can be satisfied but 90% of the vendors in attendance this year renewed their spaces for next year and they aren't sure where it was going to be held. So many people believe in the charity and need for the swap meet. Negativity without a viable solution is never productive. May be the reason "speedtool" was previously banned and may be back on as "aircap".

25. aircap

aircap

If you want the smallest booth in the place (A-26 / measures 10 X 10 / east of the center of the south wall), we'll be glad to trade with you for your bigger spot.

You guys are welcome to your opinions, but mine are as valid as yours.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017