Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods This is what happens when you go to the G.N.R.S. and your furnace goes out!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Welp, I had a cherry-pie little 52 chev 150 series with a low mileage 216 and it only went down to 30 degrees! 12 inch crack.
    If your 327 was standard bore and if your standard bore pistons are ok and if your 327 is a small journal, I'd grab a 283 block and punch it .125 to 4"...I believe there's a little grinding to be done to get a 327 crank to swing in a 283.
    Then again, I had a 260 hp crate motor in the old Rocky Goodtime Van [TM] and it performed admirably for many years before starting to huff a little oil.
    52chevy_1981.jpg

lothiandon1940 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. Sorry to hear but I bet there's a guy on here that can repair it.

Just sayin...

LOU WELLS, hipster and CapeCodBob like this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I had that happen to an XP Pontiac ram air block way back in 1979. Still kick myself over leaving water in it. I was too cheap to put anti freeze in because I had a leak at the top tank.

4. Yep Henry ford hated Chevys. He's got a smile on his face.
    Sry for your loss.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If its a '68, you can use a dime a dozen 350 block, and swap over your internals...;):)

Chavezk21, BradinNC, joel and 2 others like this.
  6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Can you fill us in on the specs of the motor? Blocks are out there!

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sure is. And you can still kiss my ass Trent! :)
    One did but didnt pop all the way out.
    !:)

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

As I remember the casting numbers said it was a 68 out of a pickup I dont remember the bore, I,m thinking it was 30 over. Heads are double humps. Nothing radical just a good old mill.

9. Did you pay attention to falcongeorge's statement? 68/69 327 are the "large journal" blocks. The 2 year only crank is the special piece of the puzzle. Otherwise, if it's an earlier version, the "bore a 283" suggestion is the way to go. Rotating assembly swapped over, etc. and you don't even have to rebalance it. Way cheaper than a crate or a fresh/full build.

(Hoping Tman is a friend taking a jab? )

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. sorry...maybe I should tell you about my 50/50 antifreeze mistake..........might make you feel better.......

tractorguy likes this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ahhh No Im thinking hes just being a dick, no friend of mine.

12. TomH

TomH

Shit!!! Sorry Tim. This mean no hot rod hill climb?

13. Really sorry to see that happen, don't spend cash for a crate just yet.
    Maybe a good block will come you way, food for thought anyway.

14. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

X2

15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

We will take the T to the hill climb. How r u doing after the big trip? Heard you were not feeling well. I know I picked up some kind of crud.

16. tractorguy

tractorguy

South Dakota .......cold temps.......anti-freeze ......what am I missing here ?

17. TomH

TomH

Was out of the house for the 1st time today. It kicked my ass, and I had a shot!!
    Looking forward to the hill climb, will talk when we back down in a couple of weeks.

18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

19. if their is no water mixing with the oil fix it. the cooling system is low pressure and i have seen blocks much worse and fixed them brazing them up. now days high nickel cast rod or even epoxy will fix it.

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  20. Man that sucks.I hope you can find a cheap way to replace it. Bruce.

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Bought an old Chevy 2 that had been parked overnight in Flagstaff,Az. with no anti freeze. 194 6 cylinder. It was cracked similar to yours.I was going to do a 350 swap anyway,so I thought I would try and weld it with some cast rod just to see if it would hold. Ground the crack to a v and drill both ends and fired up the buzz box and welded it up. Drove it for a year like that and then sold it to another guy that put it in his elcamino and drove it for 2 more years.
    I didn't even pull it to weld it. Try it before you spend a bunch of money on a crate motor or a new block. In the old days we fixed things, now people just throw stuff away and replace parts.
    It will give you something else to talk about at car shows. Sorta like showing off your scars.

CapeCodBob and kiwijeff like this.
  22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

If you read the original post you might be able to figure it out.

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. j3harleys

j3harleys

I know this must sound like BS but years ago I patched a 409 block with JB weld. It look just like yours. It never leaked again. If you don't have oil and water mixing give it a try you never know. I have fixed a lot of stuff with it. good luck.

24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Sorry that happened. A couple of years ago I didn't get the water out of my 1914 Buick and it froze. I got lucky it only split an external water pipe between the cylinder and the water pump. I got extremely lucky as 327 Chevys are a lot easier to find than 1914 Buick!

25. That is repairable. I fixed a flathead V8 block that froze so bad a piece actually fell out. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself find a qualified welder experienced in cast welding. If you are near any oilfield related work that should be easy to find. If you can do it yourself then your options are brazing or stick welding.

CapeCodBob likes this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Anyone ever try to put a 327 crank in a 283 block? Lippy

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Anybody Vee out the grove and silver solder on a block?

gas pumper likes this.
  28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I vee'd out the groove and welded the crack with nickel rod and a stick welder. Lippy

CapeCodBob and falcongeorge like this.
  29. Man,I'm sorry to hear this happened.

I had no idea it could get that cold in S.D. in a insulated garage,then again I live in the Sunny South and although I have a insulated & heated shop I never leave the heat on when I'm not working,we have had weather in the teens but even a water bottle never froze.

Hopefully you can source another block,IMHO you have the best little small block in your Deuce. HRP

30. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I DID JUST THE OPPOSITE, DRAIN THE BLOCK, IN THE FALL, THEN FIRED IT UP IN THE SPRING WITHOUT ADDING ANY WATER OR ANTIFREEZE, DROVE IT TO ITS DEATH.

oldsf85cutlass likes this.