Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Has anyone ever put a Ford engine in a Chev?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

To make them better!

2. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

droppedstepside likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never did it, but have thought plenty about a 300 Ford 6 in an early fifties Chevy. I loves them motors!

4. This Nomad was built by Russ Meeks and ran a 427 Ford in it.
    [​IMG]

5. A little OT, but at one point John Lingenfelter owned this former Bob Glidden Monza. At some point in its life I believe John raced it with a Ford engine with some degree of success. :eek: It's a crazy, mixed up world, ain't it? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A friend of mine had, might still have, I haven't seen it in a while, a 1936 Chevy coupe with a Ford 302 with a 4 speed top loader in it. I talked to the guy that had built it, said he just used what he had sitting around.

grumpy32 and droppedstepside like this.
  7. I mocked-up a Y-block in a '35 Chev sedan way back when. Would have preferred a Z28 302 motor, but couldn't afford one. Got sidetracked with a '40 Ford coupe and sold the Chevy...

8. BJR

BJR

NICE SAVE!!

slowmotion likes this.
  9. desotot

desotot

About 40 years ago I installed a 271 horse 289 in a 50 chev pickup for some guy, what a waste of a good engine.

10. 1pickup

1pickup

I saw one several years ago. Before there were RR's, there was the beater craze. Just a driver, built on a budget, with less worry over chrome & paint, & emphasis on drivability. It was a '46-'48 Chev 2 door sedan with a Ford 302/auto.

11. donno21

donno21

Used to be a guy here in ' Vegas had a nice 47-53 Chevy AD with a 289 in it. Haven't seen it around for years.

12. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Best comment so far!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. cfmvw

cfmvw

Knew someone years ago who put a 289 instead of a SBC in a Vega because it was narrower.

14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Have always wanted to put a flathead in one of those Corvettes that lost their engine to a 32 Ford!! :rolleyes:

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Years ago there was an old yellow 28 Chevy phaeton getting around with a 351C in it. My thoughts were that it was sacrilegious. On the flip side, the older brother of a friend years ago had a 66 Ford Falcon wagon with a 427 Chevy in it.

grumpy32 likes this.
  16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Man you really want to banned from the hot rodding world . I would never even speak of such an event , where someone could hear me and pass on I was thingin about such a sin !

bchctybob and droppedstepside like this.
  17. If you have never seen it, after reading car mags for 60 years, there must be a pretty good reason why you have not seen it.

18. I would have held out, til a front sump pan came around .... or made one!

19. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

There used to be an old guy from Novato who bracket raced a bright red smog- years Corvette, ran easy consistent 10.50s at Sears Point. So one night these two kids with a 396 Chebbelle walked over and asked him why his Corvette was so much faster, and LOUDER than their Chebbelle- so he opened the hood and showed them the 8V 427 High Riser in it. Schidt a brick and walked away mumbling LOL.I still have the Moroso rear-sump FE 4x4 pan out of the Vette out in my shop.
    Just saw another on a couple weeks ago, a buddy drug home a '34 Chebbie with a 302/C4 in it, fit like a glove. There's also a guy from around Santa Rosa with a stout 460 in a Camaro

Spooky, grumpy32 and droppedstepside like this.
  20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there are very few Fords I would even put a Ford in. o_O

tb33anda3rd, Montana1, Baumi and 3 others like this.
  21. I saw an old Chevy truck one time that had Ford power.

PASS...

22. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A buddy of mine used to help with a '55 Nomad. It was powered by a 289-271 "Cobra Motor" as he called it. There was even a Cobra painted on the front fender.

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Used to be a 50's Corvette with a 427 dual quad Ford in it. The first time he showed up at Miami-Hollywood they told him he needed a hood scoop over the carbs. So he cut the front out of a Pink drain pan and screwed it to the hood. Really funny and really pissed of the Chevy guys.
    It was really fast too.

Atwater Mike and droppedstepside like this.
  24. My moms brother had a 40 chevy with a custom 390 with 351c heads or vise versa and ran over 180 at the dry lakes in the 70s. He was going for the 200 mph club but passed quicky with leukemia. He was a true blood ford guy but I guess he got the chevy for free so he said ok I know what to do with it. He did get to see me born first and then 2 months later he passed. It's on my bucket list of family wishes I must grant.

25. k9racer

k9racer

If you do the fomoco swap I guess you could enter a chevy in to a FORD show. The last Ford show I attended said Ford powered only. I guess this was for the kit car folks.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I was going to say this. Ed Roth, ahead of his time in so many things.

In 1961 and 62 the Ford company was pushing their Total Performance image and passing out goodies left and right in the hot rod, custom car (Custom Car Caravan) and racing worlds.

Roth hit them up for 3, 390 V8s and matching auto transmissions. 2 went into the Mysterion, the the 3d went into a 55 Chev 2 door post that was his daily driver.

kiwijeff and droppedstepside like this.
  27. HayesDesign&Restlying

HayesDesign&Restlying

I'm a ford man thru n thru, it's just a sickness I guess. Working on ford engines is a craft, it's not generic. It's more of a passion. You hunt for those parts, ya chevy (shivers ) you can go to any hole in wall store and buy parts for dirt cheap. Cause that's what they are. Cheap. Today modern ls engines are the rage, cause there cheap. Coyotes there's no market. One day I hope there will be.
    What I tell my die hard chevy bros.

I'd put a ford in a chevy any day, why cause I'd rather tinker daily than doll up. Get me. One build I'd like to do eventually is a nice 49-54 chevy car or truck powerd. By same year ford V8 flathead!

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

droppedstepside and 56longroof like this.
  28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I had a really good running Ford 260 with a Holley 2 barrel carburetor, and a 2 speed automatic transmission. Long story short, I bought a 63 Ranchero for my wife to, hopefully replace her 65 Rustang, but she would't drive it; I eventually replaced the front/rear suspension of the Rustang with the stuff out of the Ranchero, along with the brakes and dual exhaust. I had plans to put the 260 in my 82 Chevette, but it never happened. Sold the 260 to a Falcon/Comet restoration business in Seattle,. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

29. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

30. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

In the 80s in New Zealand a bloke has a 55 chev drag car with a 427 ford in it.
    In Australia i know a guy who has a ford Y-block in a 34 chev.
    I had a photo from the late fifties of a corvette that had a hot 312 ford Y-block in it. Apparently he was sick of getting beaten buy thunderbirds.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Spooky, kiwijeff and droppedstepside like this.