Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Merc custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Black Clover Custom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1110.JPG IMG_1109.JPG IMG_1111.JPG IMG_1113.JPG Not as bad as it looks... Kinda debating already about leaving the original lower door hinge metal and replacing just the lower part. The piece i ordered comes up really far and has the new lower door hinge stamped portion. Should i use the full piece? Nah right? If my door hinge pocket is good leave it right?
    And how the FFFF do you get the body back on or off once the front fenders are smoothed in? Kinda tough right? :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  2. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Looks really good under the rear fenders. Except a small spot.
    Body will come off soon. Just have to make a rolling cart for it. (wood)
    IMG_1114.JPG IMG_1115.JPG IMG_1117.JPG

3. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

wheel.JPG
    So a set of these would NOT look good?
    For sale on here. (caps only)

juan motime likes this.
  4. Concentrate on your rust issues first. You'll be very busy once you open up several holes. Think long and hard about your out of box ideas while doing the repairs that nobody sees or appreciates.
    Leave the grill alone, it's very unique in lots own way.
    Maybe shave the gutters, loose all the chrome trim, maybe loose the bumpers.
    No wires and no rumble seat please.
    Slam it hard, big block engine, painted steel rims to match the body color, lots of pleather inside.
    Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

So as you are aware I have a passion for these 41 Mercs, hell I've got 3. I like to think a little outside the box on touches not done before. Like the Zephyr bumper section inserted into the Merc bumper with the Merc guards, it's different. However, make sure it's appealing to the body lines of the car and the eye.

I don't feel the wire wheels would be an enhancement to these bodies. Not sure about the rumble seat, but hell it may look good. I'm with the guy above, you can't go wrong with the 41 Merc grill. It looks so good.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rodncustomdreams and lurker mick like this.
  6. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

I respect your opinion. I'm also jealous of your cars.
    Thanks for weighing in.
    But know I would never ruin the car! I may talk a big game and run through big ideas but the END car will be perfect or it won't be done. You know what I mean?
    I LOVE the Merc's of the past.
    I just want to push a little and see if it's possible. Without being dumb.
    The wheels (wires) I will try are really going to be for my son's future 31' so no big deal. Just a big question about IF they will look ok.
    The rumble seat I KNOW will look good but may not do it in the end.
    My question is this... Does it feel ok in the end to have copied a past great car? Do you ever wish you had done something diff? We will all end up with the same look in the end. (awesome) but the same. So this is why I chase small creative possibilities.
    Maybe it's because i'm a painter. I feel i need to push the envelope a bit :)

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  7. The whole point of changing things on a custom is to make it look better. Usually, that was done by using parts from current cars, or at least later ones than the one you're working with. The '35 wires were swapped onto Model A's and T's, for instance. No one would have used them on a later car which came with solid steelies, because by that time the wires were old-fashioned. If you're going to build a traditional custom, first decide what era you like and will try to emulate. A Merc Flattie and a 348/409 represent totally different eras of customs. Which do you want to build? Once you know that, the smaller details such as wheels should fall into place more easily.

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  8. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

heres my 40, its not a rumble seat but they did use a rumble seat trunk lid, IMG_0912.PNG

9. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Oh shit! I'm sold now! It looks good. With paint that area wouldn't stand out at all.
    Your car has a ton of work done to it.
    I didn't want to say yet but I was going to look at putting a split rear window in mine... Cats out of the bag now.

10. In my opinion a rumble seat something that will take a lot of time and effort to do and will bring very little reward. It's going to be pain in the ass to get in and out of in that style vehicle (look at the distance someone is going to have to stretch over to gain access to it without destroying the paint), it's going to be almost unusable with a chopped top as the wind is going to be blasting anyone sitting in it right in the face and if you ever want to sell the car it is going to be a negative to 99% of the people looking to buy it.

lurker mick likes this.
  11. koolkemp

koolkemp

For the amount of work I put into getting the trunk lid and trunk opening into shape on my 47 I think you would be a fool to start hacking that up for a rumble seat that no one will ever sit in or likely notice , except to point and laugh...sorry I apologize for the rant. Change for the sake of change is silly.

12. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Wow, ok. Thanks for your truth full and harsh criticism of the rumble seat dudes. I can take it.
    BUT the last comment by koolkemp from Nova Scotia gave me an idea on a possible OTHER thread idea...
    "no one will ever notice, except to point and laugh"... HAHAHAHA
    Seriously somebody start that thread. What customized part of a car or truck has made you feel like pointing and laughing???

13. Just for the record I don't mind the rumble seat shaped opening like fatty showed I just think the rumble seat part of it would be a waste of time because I cannot see it as being very functional or enjoyable to use and if that's the case why have it just to say you did it?

koolkemp likes this.
  14. It seems to me that's the crux of the biscuit. ;)

15. Yup unfortunately that rarely results in an improvement.:rolleyes:

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  16. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

That's the part that actually has me on the fence about it. I do want to use it. Well... not me but other people. (with goggles) Like kids or grandma or my dogs on a short chain. (pitbulls)
    But i won't do it if i think it wont work.

17. jose gonzalez

jose gonzalez

i think your car has a great look already a few custom details and your on. But don't ever forget its your car and build it how you will enjoy it thats the beauty of owning and customizing your car.

thank you for your service

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Or skylarks. IMHO the artillery wheels on the otherwise custom '37 chevy look totally stupid. COMPLETELY out of place.

koolkemp likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I saw this truck in the HAMB classifieds when the current owner had it for sale. I already have way more project cars than any one man should have, but I kept going back and staring at it. With the gold flaked dash, I could really see it in Titian red, with chrome belly burners, white upholstery with gold T&R inserts, it would really have been a stunner, very nice truck.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  22. Build it like you want to, I was thinking to do it to my
    Mercury, in my avatar I always liked the Rumble Seat.!

just my 3.5 cents
    Live Learn & Die
    a fool.!

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Damn l loved his truck, I followed the build at the beginning ! It's one of the best proportioned car/truck matings ever!

falcongeorge likes this.
  24. It has actually changed hands about 4 times since Torchie sold it. Guys seem to be using it to flip other vehicles.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

needs a rumble seat and '35 ford wires...;):rolleyes::D

lurker mick, slv63 and koolkemp like this.
  26. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I'snt riding in a rumble seat like driving without a windshield? That don't seem like fun to me and anyone who rides back there will probably feel the same. Just my honest opinion.

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

That really sucks I was hoping it might be done when I came back.Why did he sell it ?

28. BCC just remember customs are a reflection of your dreams, and no one should fault you for that. I've always wanted my rides to be built so that I can enjoy them. If other people like them then we have accomplished what we wanted.
    Kustoms live because of great minds not following the main stream.
    Do it your way as others have stated, and that should take priority over everything, except safety.
    Just go for it., and congrats.

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  29. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Hahaha... Needs a hay bale in the back. :)

30. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Maybe i'll convert mine into a El'camerco! Was one on craigslist here not too long ago that had a flatbed on the back. Almost bought it for parts.