Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods steel 41 willys gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charlierogers, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Thank you for saving this car from street rod hell.
    Looks like your going hard out to get it done by Spring. Nice work, I'm liking everything your doing.

Torkwrench likes this.
  2. charlierogers

charlierogers

need to figure out what kind of hanging pedals to get for brakes and clutch. going with hyd throwout bearing to clean up floor pan and save some space.

3. charlierogers

charlierogers

going to have to stay motivated and push hard on this one or it might turn into a dreaded marathon build. I have been there before and it can be disappointing to say the least! was going to kinda throw this together just to get it out but knew I would not be happy in the end that way.

kiwijeff and AHotRod like this.
  4. elgringo71

elgringo71

You are making great progress and your doing it the way that you want it and will be happy with it in the end.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

It looking good Charley !

How about selecting the LARGE picture option when you load up pictures, makes it much better to see.

6. charlierogers

charlierogers

sorry about the small pic thing will try to remember that for next pics later this week!

7. charlierogers

charlierogers

received all parts minus axles for the 9.3 woo hoo!!! I purchased that "trophy track" posi from fabcraft and it seems like a really nice heavy duty piece and well thought out/built. plus trading/selling a bunch of my four speed stash to purchase a auto gear/Muncie m-23. anybody here have one of those?

8. charlierogers

charlierogers

cant figure out how to make pics bigger? anyway working on floor and trunk

Attached Files:

benchseat4speed likes this.
  9. charlierogers

charlierogers

more pics, have to mount my shifter and cut a hole in tunnel to make cover that I can unbolt to service shifter/linkage

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    benchseat4speed likes this.
  10. charlierogers

charlierogers

more pics, starting on rear inner fenderwalls, going to try making them similar {looking} to stock.

Attached Files:

11. junkman8888

junkman8888

Might be a little late but there was a thread on the Hamb that discussed modifying an Olds housing to accept a 9" carrier, axles, housing ends and brakes, allows you to use cheaper, more available parts.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Lurker subscribed. Nice!

14. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've made great strides, Charlie. Great Job.

15. elgringo71

elgringo71

It's looking great Charlie. I can't wait until you drive it.
    Here is how I post large images. Select full image for each picture or even easier click the top box that says insert every image as a full image then you can click your image in the text box if you want to type comments about the pictures. When you are done click post reply. (The picture below shows the full image boxes) IMG_2481.PNG

rod1 likes this.
  16. charlierogers

charlierogers

hey guys heres a couple new floor shots. thanks for the pic tips elgringo 2017-1-24..1.jpg 2017-1-24..4.jpg

17. charlierogers

charlierogers

I should be giving the proper recognition to randy over at the "nicky gasser shop} and to the big chief john. T also to Stefano owner of nicky performance!! another project that's getting out of hand lol !!

elgringo71 likes this.
  18. charlierogers

charlierogers

19. charlierogers

charlierogers

20. charlierogers

charlierogers

got my olds 9.3 shortened 57 drum to drum, 4.11 gears, posi waiting on axles from fabcraft

elgringo71 likes this.
  21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It's great that you went with the Pontiac / Olds rear axel. Yes, Fabcraft is the place to get parts. Bought a bunch from them for the 60 Pontiac axel that went in my 34 Chevy coupe, and the 59 Pontiac axel that went in my 59 GMC. Went with Moser axel shafts, and housing ends, though.

By the way, do you have any photos from when it was still a drag car?

22. elgringo71

elgringo71

Looking real good Charley

23. charlierogers

charlierogers

got about 20 cool old blk/wht photos of it in the early 60s not the best quality but I am gonna try to get them redone at a photoshop and hang a couple in the garage. btw it was never a top dog a/gs car, just a c/g class. I need to do some proper research on gas classes so I don't sound like a goof lol. not sure what the breakdown on classes were. anyway it was in black primer and steel wheels, heck did not even have a hood scoop. he said he was lucky to have enough money to just get to race. but he said he loved every minute!!!!!!

elgringo71 and kiwijeff like this.
  24. charlierogers

charlierogers

I would like to run a mag dizzy if it will work properly with the hilborn efi

25. charlierogers

charlierogers

well I have a set of 15x10 aluminum slots and am trying to figure what size tire I want to run. does anybody now the tire specs on the old m&h 16/10.00 and the 16/11.00 ? did they also have them in 15 size? I like the early pie crust look but not sure what year that the tire manufactures went away with that 63,64? i think the pie crust has cool factor but the no pie crust looks meaner to me. i am kinda on the fence. plus not sure if i should find some 16x10 slots. would that be more correct? i plan to be putting lots of miles on this car so drive abilty is a concern. i have run real slicks {bias ply}on the street before and while they are ok to just cruise the local spot they are crappy real world.

26. charlierogers

charlierogers

i have also ran the hoosier drag slick 9.00x 30 radial on my coupe {not the street drag radial} and they drove damn near as nice as a real street radial!!! they make a 30x10.5-15 act size 30 tall 10 3/4 tire on ground 12 sect. so they have the old school square look. just have to remove white lettering. what say you guys?
    Charlie,,,

27. charlierogers

charlierogers

little update, took a little step backwards on build due to a motor change. keeping 6-71 and 4 port hilborn but scrapping sbc in favor of 409. I have center sect all built and ready to drop in, rear end and suspension done, should get trunk area finished up by end of weekend. will upload a couple pics in a little while {after dinner} gonna do every thing I can to get it to the meltdown this year.
    Charlie,,,

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  28. charlierogers

charlierogers

rear axle, and custom built ladders, center section is just a extra we are using for mock up. 2017-3-6..001.jpg 2017-3-6..002.jpg 2017-3-6..003.jpg

29. charlierogers

charlierogers

DSC_0939.JPG center section, 4.11, trophy track posi, {fabcraft} billet main cap and billet yoke+axles from mark Williams for extra insurance! red oxide oh yea...... DSC_0942.JPG DSC_0943.JPG

30. charlierogers

charlierogers