Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 59 Volvo 544 Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cody Royals, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

Alright everybody, my name is Cody I'm new to the HAMB. Didn't do an intro post for time reasons, but my build is a 59 Volvo pv 544 that I am in the process of building for the Southeast Gassers. I'm a huge fan of Quain's group and I can't wait to blast down the track with them! feel free to comment. I have tons of pictures that I will be uploading later but I will go ahead and load a few of the first day I drug it out of the woods and where it currently is.

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

Here are the pics. One when I drug it out and one current. 1106161417.jpg 0201171235.jpg

3. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Super Cool !!!!

loudbang and Cody Royals like this.
  4. Really like the looks of the long nose. What engine? What class?

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looking good. Yeah, what class ? So when I get my Morris Minor done we can have a import race.

6. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

Hemibert it is going to be a c gas car at least long enough to get my feet wet with a straightshift car! It will probably end up with a .03 over 327 and i just got word that a friend picked me up an iron case super t10 at a swap meet for a steal! Already got pro shifted gears and good internals. And southcross2631 you and my dad (fiddle picker) have already been in contact, it was me he was talking about with the roll cage dillema... But we have that ironed out now!

7. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

Here is a picture of where the car was sitting... Went to the south carolina race/ season closer for the SGA and came home sunday morning, grabbed a chainsaw and went to work! 1106161121.jpg

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks like on the right path

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yall, Cody is a 3rd generation hot rodder, and all have been friends of mine, good people.

volvobrynk and Fiddle Picker like this.
  10. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

More pics from the first few days... And yes i will be re-using these seats! They are really light and really simple!

Attached Files:

11. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

And away with the torch we go! Quickest drievtrain removal i have ever been a part of!! 1125161600a.jpg

12. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

I fought tooth and nail to keep some of my original floor pans because they were in suprisingly good shape, but it became more and more evident that they were simply in the way... 1125161653.jpg

1211161725.jpg

13. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

14. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

All this... 1217161828.jpg

Turned to this... 1227161549.jpg

Then got inserted here... 0114171442.jpg

15. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

My speedway axle kit. 4" drop, tacked in place. I still need to take 2 more leafs out, i already removed 2 and i could still put a cummins diesel engine in this thing and it wouldn't squat! 0127171451a.jpg

16. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

Now its time to make room for tires... No this is not my final cut, i cut it shy on purpose until the ride hieght is decided upon 0123171405.jpg 0124171300.jpg funny story about the tarp, it was raining that day and i got sent home from work because i had a shingles outbreak... And i'm only in my mid 20's! So i called the old man and said i'm on the way to your house to do some metal work! So we went and got some cheap tarps to throw on the wet ground and made good use of the un-planned time out of work!

17. southcross2631

southcross2631

Cody, I knew it was you when I saw the pictures . I am glad you got the cage issue handled. You are still welcome to use my bender to adjust your bars if needed. The Anglia kit fit my car like it was meant for it. Have you decided on a color yet? Or a name for your Swedish meatball ? Sorry couldn't resist.
    I have two gallons of school bus yellow single stage urethane that I would make you a smoking deal on. I am going candy apple red for my English teapot.

18. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

He's a pretty good wheelman too ! We put him in a Junior Dragster at 8 yrs old and made the finals and the cover of the JD racers magazine(with the group of finalists) at his first big event! I don't think I have ever turned on a win light when we have gone head to head. Last race last year we went at it, my brother asked him, how did y'all do ? He said, " I wore my Dad's a** out ! Respectfully of course with a grin !

19. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

I'm pretty set on the name being "Lidocane"... And yes i spelled that wrong on purpose, haha. I wanted to spell it like cane trees because, well, it was sitting in the middle of a bunch of em'! And if the car does good i can always use the line "its to help with that a** whoopin your about to endure"... I'm not cocky, just thought it was funny! And i think i want to paint it a really loud orange with black and gray lettering. I will be running torq thrusts with black centers to go with the lettering

20. squirrel

squirrel

That looks little different now, than the 544 I learned to drive in. Should be a fun build.

Curious why you have a crossmember in the frame, right where the transmission needs to go? :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

I just hope it handles good! And none of the crossmembers are burned in, just tacked in place for frame spacing

22. squirrel

squirrel

That's good.

When you take leafs out of the spring, maybe you want to alternate which ones you remove. Might end up with only 3 leafs....the main leaf, a medium length leaf, and a short one.

chryslerfan55 and Fiddle Picker like this.
  23. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

Thats a good point! But i honestly think it will end up with only 2 leafs. Its down to 4 of the 6 they came with... I think they were designed to support a battleship

24. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I had a 58 in 73, neat little car for a foreign car. I would like to have one again with maybe a Ford flathead 60 in it.

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  25. Munter

Munter

Sold a -47 few years back. Split back window and no rust. Should have buildt a gasser I see now

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. AndersF

AndersF

Cant help to think of this tune.

27. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I'll see your old song and raise you one lovely Swedish voice singing the same tune When I saw the thread title this song jumped straight into my mind:

28. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Ha! It seems we have similar taste in cars. My daily drivers are a '55 Studebaker Champion Coupe and a 68 Volvo Amazon. Seeing this photo of your projects makes me feel great about the condition of my cars! :p Keep wrenchin'!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

0203171429.jpg 0203171808.jpg yep i got a few cancer spots to repair! Just did this yesterday... Next are the rocker panels