Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Getting a 53 Ford(215 I-6) ready for the freeway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NerdyCarGuy, Jan 31, 2017.

1. NerdyCarGuy

NerdyCarGuy

What do I need to do to safely and comfortably drive a 53 Ford on California freeways? The car is a 4dr with 215/3spd. Current plans are to throw the 3spd w/overdrive back in, switch to a 2x1bbl, and do a disc brake conversion. What gear ratio would be best? Looking to cruise at 65. I have 3.90's and 4.10's available to me, but I'd be willing to get something else if I'd be better off. Are there any other upgrades I should look into?

2. Upgrade the distributor. There is a thread on here on how to adapt a later Duraspark II unit to a 215. That gives you mech advance and electronic pickup. Pretty simple swap. Do a search for it.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The Ford OHV six was brand new in 52. It was Ford's first short stroke OHV engine and a lot of experts thought it was better than the flathead.

That means it should be capable of cruising at 65 or 70 in stock condition especially with overdrive.

I would go with the stock gear ratio. You don't have a lot of leeway, with a small low torque engine, between easy low revving cruising, and bogging down on hills. I would bet the factory got it right the first time.

If it was mine I would go over the engine, check compression and oil pressure, do a tuneup and try it completely stock first. It might turn out it has all the pep you need.

Then if you want more power you have a base line for comparison. Start making changes now and you won't know if they were better or worse.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Incidentally the 2 carb manifold is a good hop up part but it won't do you much good unless you also change the cam, exhaust and possibly ignition. I would try it stock first.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Put a 6volt alternator on it if still 6 volts. It helps starting when hot .My 53 ranch wagon ran great, but had trouble cranking when hot after running in Florida traffic. Put the alternator on and it always cranked and the lights were better. Commuted 80 miles one way and it was a flattie 3 speed o/d . Ran 70 on I-95 no sweat when I wasn't riding my bike.
    Put radial tires on it . Stops and turns better. T-5 would be better than the o/d because of the synchros and lower 1st gear. Don't put a top loader o/d 4 speed unless you go with the 4.10 gear. You don't have enough power to pull o/d on hills with that 215. I had one in an F100 with a 240 6 cylinder and it was a real turd until I put 4.10s in it.

6. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Pay attentention to all GROUND connections (clean and tight), and the correct size cable between the starter and battery - too often a smaller 12-volt cable gets installed in place of the correct gauge 6v.

Check the charging system for output - around 7.2 volts. 6v systems work well, but there is little or NO room for error - clean connections, good grounds, and CORRECT wire size are a MUST!!! Pick up a good multimeter ( I LIKE my Innova - bought it at Walmart for $25 a few years back) and be familier with electrical troubleshooting. I say this, because I was plagued with starting issues on my 6v '53 Chevy truck. The culprit was the wire between the switch and coil - wasn't letting the coil get full voltage during cranking!

Adjust the brakes. My dad's method of tightening the shoes until you can't spin the tire by hand, then backing off 13 CLICKS has always worked well. UP is TIGHT... think UPTIGHT! :)

GET the factory service manual, it will become your BEST FRIEND! Good Luck, Tim

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics of your ride - add seat belts - exterior mirrors on both sides - make sure all lights working properly - same with windshield wipers, etc - lower front & rear

8. My 55 ford coupe with a straight 6 and automatic cruises easily at 65

I know it's a little different. But I'd be willing to bet yours does pretty good as well. I'd be looking at like a 3.55 or 3.73 rear gear.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with tossing the distributor in favor of a modern one.

10. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

I run a stock 215 with factory overdrive transmission and 410 rear gears on Texas highways at 75+ mph. I do not have or recommend a distributor or carburetor swap. A good tune up, including valve lash adjustment, and your engine will be good to go for what you want (assuming decent mechanical condition).

As for upgrades, I run radial tires on my car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

302GMC likes this.
  11. k9racer

k9racer

As far as I know only gears ava are 3.9 / 4.11 and a 3.4 that came with automatic trans 6 cyls. I have owned several 52 to 55 Ford cars and these are all that I have saw in the last 55 or so years. You will be more than happy with the 215 engine. I you need to rebuild just bore to the 223 size. The 57 had larger valves so if you want you can upgrade to those.Keep the overdrive.