Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jimbohatro's '65 c20 to c10 conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbohatro, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

Got out and did some chassis work this month. I wanted to try my hand at shortening my truck to a short bed. Might as well since I'm changing the truck so much from stock. Did a bit of reading on the procedure and it seemed simple enough. 12" out of the center and 8" off of the tail. It did prove to be more work than I expected and I was freaking out a bit when I was cutting into the chassis with a damn sawzall. A pretty labor intensive job mostly because of my lack of tools and the height of my work, and steel is heavy. I did 99% of it alone, but I did get the job done and the chassis is straight as an arrow and the joint is flush. When I get home from work this month I will back and reinforce the welded joints with plating and hardware as well as remove the rear cab mounts and replace them with solid mounts 12 inches back from current position. With a couple of more trimmings, it will be 100% ready for blast and powder. I'm really happy with the outcome of this modification. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and timmy2times like this.
  2. You did a beautiful job.
    I shortened a 70s Dodge once. It was a wrecker with a rotted frame right where I had to remove 18 inches. I converted it to a short bed pick up. Everyone assumed I put 1 ton axles under a half ton truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timmy2times likes this.
  3. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

Hey thanks. I got the neighborhoods attention for sure on this one. I had 2 people stop by to see what I was doing including a c10 enthusiast who offered help and weighed in on some of my parts heap in the back.

timmy2times likes this.
  4. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

timmy2times likes this.
  5. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

Big score from a local who even delivered while I had a trailer full of 3/4 ton parts for scrap. One hunj for a 12 bolt from a 67 that burned down.

timmy2times likes this.
  6. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

[​IMG]

Knocking off old mounts and cleaning up things for mock up. Seriously considering the GSI setup. A few bucks cheaper than the comp and looks to be the real deal.

timmy2times likes this.
  7. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

Would have prefer 5 lug, but it beats the hell out of the 10 bolt I have with the tattered spiders and bent looking tube..

8. Well pulling the brake drums off that rear end wasnt so bad after i got there to help. Dont even think about thinking about skimping out and not getting the disc brakes from a camaro in the j yard hahaha

9. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

timmy2times likes this.
  10. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

I changed my mind on that. I don't think the brackets fit the "truck" pattern like I thought... I'm going for this set of brackets to fit the D052 calipers. The brakes are cheap and interchangeable with the wilwood caliper if I ever want to upgrade.[​IMG]

11. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

Rear discs are a must regardless though

12. Cool beans ill be working all weekend wont be able to make you help with the carrier bearing on the battle tank. I have to vhange it soon

sent while dropping a deuce

13. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

[​IMG]

Got quite a bit of cleanup done. Front calipers, cab ready for blast and seal, rear end clean and a quite a few hours cleaning chassis and knocking off unwanted rivets and installing rear cab mounts. Staying busy on my Lil 2 car garage frame off build.

timmy2times likes this.
  14. Show em what u got cooking now jimmy

15. Guess ill post for.u jimmy 20170412_153432.jpg 20170412_153433.jpg his new fron suspension

16. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

Got my front suspension in from GSI Machine and Fabrication. Got it loosely installed.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

18. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

Trying my had at some body work on the cab. It had a massive dent behind the gas inlet from the bed contact. I have never done this before so I made sure to be patient and not stretch the metal too badly. Not too bad for my first attempt. It's not quite straight yet but well on the way.[​IMG][​IMG]
    Not an easy area to access the dolly with accuracy I was able to move the metal slowly.

19. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

20. Jimbohatro

Jimbohatro

Got some goods for the rear end. Opened the case that I had and it was a 3.73 which was what I wanted. I got a eaton style posi from Yukon and some ten factory axles and seals that converted the 6 lug to 5.[​IMG]

timmy2times and 62hotcat like this.