Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flat head to c4 torque convertor question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Feb 1, 2017.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Years ago when I built my 26 T modified I had just been involved in an accident and broke both my ankles so I wound up putting a C4 behind the flathead. The motor is a fairly stock 52 ford 8ba with an Isky max1 cam. I bought the c4 trans adapter from speedway and the kit came with a stock convertor. I have never been happy with it. It just doesnt have any low end power, shit I cant even get the tires to break loose unless theres a bit of dust of gravel under them. Im not sure what the stall of a stock c4 convertor is but need some suggestions on what would work as far as a higher stall. I have the radiator out now to fix a leak so now would be the time to yank the motor and put a new convertor in. IMG_0126.JPG

2. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Which convertor from B&M?

X38 likes this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Anybody out there with any info.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Still looking for some motor/trans guru to chime in.

6. Raunchy

Raunchy

I saw where one of the kits made has a 2300 rpm stall convertor. Can't remember which one it is but I wouldn't want to go any higher as the flathead is not a high rpm motor. I think 2000 to 2300 would do nice without giving up too much slippage at cruise speed. That is what I plan to run with 3.55 gears ,possibly 3.73.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  7. Raunchy

Raunchy

Are you geared high? As that will make one lazy too. Neat little bucket by the way.

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

4.11 in a quick change.

9. 3340

I have a stock convertor c4 (1800 stall )trans hook to flathead in my roadster 279 gear, 29 in tires, plenty of low end

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Have C4 behind flattie in my avatar 39............used Flat-O-Matic adaptor kit with a 2000 stall convertor and 3:55's in 8" rearend..........works great and with taller tire on back turns 2400 rpm at 60 mph.........good allround situation with good bottom end and no slippage on hwy............

11. Raunchy

Raunchy

You should have good torque with those gears. Could you maybe need more timing?

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ive had this car on the road since 2007, its never had enuff rpm off the line so thats why I was thinking the convertor. I like the gear ratio in the Quick change as far as top end.

13. alchemy

alchemy

Is there another converter that will "drop in"? Ida thought the combination would require a custom converter, so you may have to have another custom converter built. Maybe if you sent your current one to a place like B&M they could make exactly what you need. They could match the spline and outside dimensions, and modify the fins to give the proper RPM.

14. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be giving Hughes transmissions a call with every bit of info you have on the package.These guys are amazing to work with.Haven't really heard any thing good on B&M in a long time...

15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The convertor is a stock c4 unit. Maybe Ill give H and H a call, I think they know Flatheads:)

crminal likes this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

If it's a stock unit there should be a million different options out there. I would guess you would want to have full engagement by 1500 RPM, wouldn't you? Maybe a call to Flat-O-Matic would help, as they also build transmissions. They could give some recommendations or sell you the right converter.