Register now to get rid of these ads!

History TRADITIONAL GASSERS, Gas Class cars and modern TRADITIONAL cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Dec 21, 2016.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Great batch Gary.
    The Willis sedan looks to have the first prototype Moon tank.

mad mikey and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

The “Gold Rush” Model-A Ford two-door sedan plants the tires on Fremont’s sticky starting line against a Willys coupe. American mag wheels up front and front-end lifting power says this was a serious C/Gasser!

Gassers-at-Freont-595x423.jpg

Keeping alive the CA blown Gasser tradition was the bright yellow Brasher & Cummings ’33 Willys coupe. “BC” was identified with the newspaper cartoon stone age characters.

Brasher-Cummingts-A-GS-595x476.jpg

L.A.D.S., best known as “Lions” or “The Beach” was Lions Associated Drag Strip, on the Long Beach harbor property. This fabled track finally closed in the 70’s but remains as one of drag racing’s most hallowed grounds. Bowlan & Bates’ A/Gas ’41 Willys pounds out a run with the famous sign in the background. Yes, the grandstands were that close to the action!

Bowlan-Bates-AG-595x376.jpg

One of the most recognizable A/Gas coupes in the nation was this ‘Willys coupe. Grist Brothers chopped the top and added sharp, black paint.

Grist-bros-3-595x474.jpg

Sleek profile of Grist Bros. Willys made it fast. Power from a 430 CID Lincoln engine pushed the car to NHRA A/Gas record and frequent appearances in ads for “Dempsey Wilson Racing Cams”. At Pomona.

Grist-at-Pomona-595x329.png

Hamberis & Mitchell’s ’33 Willys was light and fast, powered by a blown small-block Chevy, shown here at the NHRA Nationals, Indianapolis Raceway Park, Clermont, Indiana. Note comic engine crank handle. Mike Mitchell later became a Funny Car legend as “World’s Fastest Hippie”. (Jim Hill photo)

HambrisMitchlAGS.jpg

For over 50 years the drag strip outside Bakersfield, CA has hosted historic events such as The March Meet and now the California Hot Rod Reunion. Here, in the 1960’s, a primered, just-finished Willys shows why the Famoso track has been known for its traction.

33-Willys-A-GS-Bfield-595x468.jpg

Ron Rinauro’s ’33 Willys A/GS ran often at Fremont. Like his famed “Blown Hell” ’55 Chevy, a Ted Gotelli built blown engine provided power.

Ron-Rinauro-AGS-Fremont-595x378.jpg

The Jim Shores & Skip Hess ’48 Anglia used blown Chevy power to gain a reputation as an A/GS headliner. Wheels-up launches and big-noise were its trademark.

5-Faces-of-Jim-Shores-1.jpg

All-steel front end and unblown small-block Chevy power was the starting point for the Herrera & Sons ’48 Anglia. “Doug’s Headers” was original header firm founded by Doug Thorley.

Herrera-Anglia-BG.jpg

enloe, mad mikey, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Larry Hedlund’s ’57 Chevy was a regular at Lions Drag Strip, in Long Beach. The “Gasser Passer” ’57 Bel-Air ran 10 lbs. per CID D/Gas and 11 lbs. E/Gas.

Hedlund-Larry-E-Gas-595x434.jpg

Kohler Brothers’ “King Kong” started out as an unblown B/Gasser with injected, small-block Chevy power before adding blown big-block Chevy for A/GS.

Kohler-Bros-595x446.jpg

Seems like ’33 Willys coupes were found on every street in California during the 60’s, and most became Gassers! Here’s the Warren-Miller-Warren ’33.

Warren-Miller-Warren-A-GS-595x444.jpg

By the early 1960’s NHRA’s Winternationals had found a home in Pomona. Here the famed Grist Brothers big-inch Lincoln powered, chopped-top Willys takes on a C/Altered Model-A during Little Eliminator running. Note big Winternats banner and at rear, “Capitol Records” sign!

Pomona-start-line-595x216.jpg

Steve Korney’s “Goldfinger” was built for match racing but ran often in BB/Altered with blown Chrysler Hemi power.

Steve-Korney-Goldfinger-A-GS-595x397.jpg

Butch Thunney’s famed red-white-blue, straight-axle, fiberglass front cap ’55 was a C/Gas staple in Street/Modified Eliminator for several years. Injected small-block and a four-speed were his calling cards.

Thunney-Butch-55-C-Gas-595x455.jpg

K.S. “Tiger” Pittman found match race bookings easily available, and moved his operations east. KS joined the S&S Racing Team, from Falls Church, VA while running this ’33 Willys, blown 480 CID Chrysler powered.

KS-Pittman-33.jpg.jpg

Funny Car headliner “Lil John Lombardo’s beginning fare wasn’t quite as glamorous, but probably just as much fun! Here his ’37 Chevy Gasser gets away at the Winternationals, Pomona.

Lombardo-John-Pomona-595x454.jpg

This old, faded photo from Dave Facey shows the MGM Racing Team, C&O Hydro, ’40 Willys truck pushing back after a run in B/GS at Winternationals.

MGM-Willys-trk-Dave-Facey-pic-595x477.jpg

Gary Burgin would later gain fame with his “Orange Baron” nitro Funny Cars. Here’s his early effort, an A/GS Willys in the pits.

Gary-Burgin-595x327.jpg

wicarnut, enloe, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  4. Come on man, this car is totally OFF TOPIC and mot even close to the HAMB limits.
    Traditional gassers please, not VEGA FUNNY CARS! Jeeez, YOU should know better my friend!
    THANKS FOR DELETING IT!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  5. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

I know, I apologize, I can delete it.

6. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The Brasher & Cummigs '33 willys
    Brasher-Cummingts-A-GS-595x476.jpg
    Flurtin With Disaster (Owned by Jim Tipper)
    Tipper_2b.jpg
    Rolled in '87
    Tipper_1b1.jpg
    Restored Version
    Tipper_2c.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  7. loudbang

loudbang

This ’41 Willys, running in D/Gas, out of Antelope Valley Speed Center, was an attractive, flashy regular in California Modified Eliminator racing.

Antelope-Valley-41.jpg

Panella Brothers ran a Southern Cal trucking business, and ran this famous blown Chevy powered, B/GS Anglia, “Il Padrone” in Super Eliminator. Driver Ken Dondero was a master of 8,500 rpm, power-shifts with a modified, crash-box Muncie M-22 four-speed.

Panella-BGS-Ken-Dondero-595x391.jpg

Bob “Bones” Balough gained a reputation as an accomplished driver of numerous blown Gassers. The Bones-Dubach-Pisano ’33 Willys was one of Bones’ best efforts. The late Joe Pisano, founder of Venolia Pistons, was a partner in the 392 Chrysler powered A/GS car.

Bones-at-Lions.jpg

Bones is half a length behind Junior Thompson’s Austin in this A/GS face-off. Arrid background says this could be Riverside, or Carlsbad tracks.

Bones-Dubach-Pisano-vs.-Jr.-Thompson.jpg

Teixeira Brothers have long been known for immaculately finished, fast race cars. Their B/Gas, ’41 Willys carries stock Willys front cap trim, headlights and a custom grille with Chevy power inside.

Teixeira-Bros-BG-41-595x418.jpg

that is it for California cars

8. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I saw this survivor, originally from Ohio, back in 08 at a Hatfields open house event here in Texas.

04-19-08 009.jpg

9. jnaki

jnaki

that is it for California cars
    upload_2017-2-2_7-41-59.png
    Hey,
    There were a lot of unknown fast gas coupes and sedans in So Cal that were not documented from the photogs at the big meets. They were the backyard builders with small budgets and the determination to build something fast. Here is a red primer sedan from 1959 at Riverside Raceway. It was fast and quick off of the line. Check out the wheelie shift…Wahoo…

Jnaki

Also, another unknown that was a fast 40 Willys for the B/Gas, then C/Gas class competitions.

Thanks...Rruss

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  10. Here's a couple of real deal Gassers that were at the GNRS - One Restored, One Not
    IMG_20170127_130308421_HDR.jpg IMG_20170127_130539221_HDR.jpg

If you were in So Cal in the 60's, you knew these two cars!

wicarnut, enloe, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  11. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

This car ran at Vacaville Ca on Sat nights a very clean well built car painted light gold sbc 4spd.

12. This shot looks like it may be from the Indy Nats in 1961? I'm looking for shots from this race, mainly the Super Stock and Optional Super Stock cars. Do you happen to have anymore of those?

13. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think I found them here on the HAMB.

loudbang likes this.
  15. No, sorry. Found it on google, I think it came from a pinterest page....

loudbang likes this.
  16. Look at George Klass Remembers-TONS of very early Super Stockers there

mad mikey likes this.
  17. Surprised to find a '46-'48 Plymouth!
    [​IMG]

mad mikey, loudbang and Gary Reynolds like this.
  18. Lots of cars besides Willy, Anglias and Chevies! The lower classes had a variety of makes.

19. I know.
    But as an owner of one, I can tell you you don't see a whole lot of these in any form.

20. rooman

rooman

Not sure about the year but the photo is definitely from Indy--that is County Road 300 N at the right of the photo.
    Have you checked out Larry Davis' "Super Stock, Drag Racing the Family Sedan" book?

Roo

loudbang likes this.
  21. Let's get back to Gassers guys! I'm guilty too, use the "conversations" for this stuff.[​IMG]

mad mikey and 41 coupe like this.
  22. rooman

rooman

OK Gaz,
    here are a few from Australia, some of which may push the boundaries of the thread but they are what we ran in Oz in the early days of the sport there.

Alf Mullins' Brutus with a blown slant six Valiant
    [​IMG]
    The same car later in life when owned by Adrian Seaman
    [​IMG]
    Warren Goodall's injected Chrysler wedge powered Austin A 40-later had a blown 392
    [​IMG]
    Geoff Mee's Holden six powered Thames
    [​IMG]
    Jeff Burnett's blown Holden six powered early Holden
    [​IMG]
    The Gatt Brothers *Ben and Joe) Y block Ford powered Anglia
    [​IMG]

Bill Pound's Mirage, a blown small block powered FJ Holden
    [​IMG]

Roo

Bowtie Coupe and mad mikey like this.
  23. I'm aware of Klass's site. In fact some of my photos have made it on there. I also have Larry Davis' book and have talked to him several times. I have many photos from Indy '61 and am always looking for more. I've searched the web and found mostly the same shots that are on Klass's site.

I'm positive this is Indy in '61. That red '61 Impala looks to have S/S on the rear window, maybe OS/S. I'm always looking for the more obscure photos from this event. In my opinion it was one of the most important races in door car racing ever but there is very few photos around. I have one very bad 8mm home movie of the S/S cars racing but that is the only video that I've ever found.... Frustrating....

loudbang likes this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

C/GS supercharged?

Capture CG Supercharged.JPG

Note the massive traction bars on this Colson & Wood car

Capture gassers traction bars.JPG

Hydro- therapy willys

Capture Gassers.JPG

Hall Chevrolet

Capture gassers1.JPG

Tinker Toy by Mitchell& Biles
    Capture Tinler Toy gassers.JPG

25. loudbang

loudbang

Comet Cleanser D/G

Capture gassers comets.JPG

26. loudbang

loudbang

Whole bunch of Chevy gassers today

Capture gassers.JPG

Capture gassers1.JPG

Capture gassers2.JPG

Capture gassers3.JPG

Capture gassers4.JPG

Capture gassers5.JPG

Capture gassers6.JPG

Capture gassers7.JPG

Capture gassers8.JPG

Capture gassers9.JPG

Capture gassers10.JPG

Capture gassers11.JPG

27. LMAO..Gassers on Facebook..Not a clue!
    If you like fake spindle mounts, that's the place to go.

28. loudbang

loudbang

29. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks