Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sears Allstate reman engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by athurston, Jan 30, 2017.

1. athurston

athurston

Bought a flathead off a local guy and this was bolted to the head. Anyone have any info on it? [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Sears had many authorized rebuilders back in those days,,Nothing to worry about,

loudbang likes this.
  3. athurston

athurston

My first flathead, pulled from a running truck and been on a stand in a garage since. Just a little nervous is all

4. I helped a buddy install one in his '52 Plymouth, probably in 1974. I recall the tag too. I think it ran him like $389 plus his old core, which we bolted back on the skid and returned to the Sears catalog dock.

hipster, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. athurston

athurston

6. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I remember when Montgomery Ward was moving from downtown to the new Mall in the '70s they had a sale of old stuff that had been in their backroom forever. One item was a reman flathead. I think they wanted like $100. for it. I thought to myself who's going to buy that? Lol. I wish it was sitting under a workbench now.

7. squirrel

squirrel

thirty under crank way back then....man, that one's led a hard life!

8. athurston

athurston

9. squirrel

squirrel

my 1970 Sears catalog doesn't list the flatty, it only goes back to 1957 on Ford V8s.

warbird1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. athurston

athurston

11. squirrel

squirrel

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

.030-.030 and THEN spent time in a wrecker? I'd be worried too.:(

13. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

National Engine was a re-builder for Sears in the late 60s, early 70s. They had a location on Dekalb Ave. in Atlanta and another in possibly St. Louis. Yours may be earlier than that since I think that Sears had phased out the Allstate name by then. That tag is probably from the 50s or early 60s.

loudbang likes this.
  14. athurston

athurston

I bought two other flatheads, one was solid rust under the intake and the other one had a broken lifter boss. They both went back to where they came from and I got my money back. This one is super clean inside and was guaranteed it runs.

15. alchemy

alchemy

I wouldn't be scared of it. Maybe it would clean up as is with some fresh rings/hone and gaskets? Or maybe it'll need some fresh bearings too and just polish the crank?

16. athurston

athurston

It's going in the car at any rate, if it needs an overhaul it can wait till the car is together.

17. My first car back in 1966 was a '53 Ford Mainline with a rebuilt Flathead V-8 from Sears. Never let me down. Wish I still had it.:( 1976-1215534178-9ab25ba556f2bc0b0ea746703db5014d.jpg

18. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Bought a 40 Ford sedan 45 years ago that had one in it , ran like a top, never a problem with it.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Piston Supply was under contract in SoCal at least at the store where I worked in the 1960's. All the long blocks were painted metallic blue with red valve covers. PS normal colors were gold with royal blue valve covers.

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

Wouldnt it be easier and smarter to look at it inside first?

wbrw32 likes this.
  21. athurston

athurston

I pulled the intake and it's super clean, oil is clean as well

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

I sold an original 28 Model A a couple of months back. In the paperwork I had received from the prior owner was a Sears receipt from 1955 for a rebuilt Model A engine for $110.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

I also recall my first new car, a 72 Nova SS. It was a non factory air car. After a couple of summers on the Cross Bronx Expressway I decided it was time to put in AC. A Sears dealer installed an under dash unit. Very professional install. Never gave me a hint of trouble.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. nobux

nobux

I have a Sear's rebuild flathead in my '46 COE. Gramps put in in '54 after killing the original. Still runs great. I'll have to look at the tag again to see what says.

25. put the tag on the 'bay and get your money back......

26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

If I remember correctly, Western Auto also sold motors. I remember Sears selling motors along with boats, go carts and mini bikes. Pep Boys also sold boats and mini bikes.

27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

OH.............. FOR SIMPLER TIMES...................................MY OLD HEART YEARNS....................

28. Hombre

Hombre

Yea they also sold cars as well. Remember the Allstate Car I believe it was a Henry J badged as Allstate.

29. southcross2631

southcross2631

I ran a set of J.C. Pennys cheater slicks and a set of Torq-Thrust wheels that I bought from their service center in Michigan in 1969 on my 65 Comet Cyclone. You could mail order other car parts.
    Other than J.C. Whitney ,Sears and Western Auto were the place to get hop-up parts in the U.P. of Michigan where I grew up. My dad had a cam grinder and would regrind our hot rod stuff. He also had a in the block crank grinder, how many have seen one of those? It was WW 2 surplus military.